Home My YFS

Valspar fight back from the dead to draw

Written by  Valspar

Fixture: Valspar v Largs Colts
Competition: Central Ayshire YFA U14s
Date: 21/05/2016
As a second versus third top of the league encounter, this match had expectations running high and both sides did not disappoint, serving up a dramatic, highly entertaining contest.
Largs had the better of the first half, but the game was end-to-end stuff with MacKenzie Hill bringing out tremendous saves in the first fifteen minutes. The Largs keeper was not left twiddling his thumbs either and was in action keeping Valspar at bay three times in the first 20 minutes.
Valspar came closest to scoring when Lewis Glass was through on goal and pushed his shot past the keeper in the 24th minute only to see it hit the post and trundle to safety. 
Largs pressure paid off in the 27th minute when the swirling wind assisted the flight of the ball from a corner into the Valspar net.
Buoyed by their first goal, Largs continued to push forward and found the back of the net once more in the 30th minute to double their advantage.
Two minutes from the half time whistle, a great save from MacKenzie Hill from a Largs free kick kept the score as you were.
Half Time: Valspar 0 Largs Colts 2
The second half started with both teams battling for possession, but no chances were being created until Murray Thomson saw his effort fly wide in the 50th minute.
Largs responded a couple of minutes later, but with MacKenzie Hill on top form their effort could not beat the Valspar keeper.
Valspar began to dominate the game, with Lewis Glass giving the Largs defence a torrid time. His top quality movement and run on goal in the 55th minute was just thwarted by the Largs keeper.
Two minutes later, however, Glass made the breakthrough for Valspar when he fired home a great through pass from Craig Findlay to halve his side's deficit.
Largs responded quickly and once again MacKenzie Hill was tested just one minute later. He passed the test with flying colours though, as he palmed the ball to safety, denying Largs a third, and potentially decisive, goal.
Valspar continued to pressurise Largs and great interplay between Ron Mooney and Craig Findlay forced a great save from the Largs keeper, only for Connor Purvis to pounce and bang in the equalizer.
At this point in the game the Largs defence looked tired and Valspar continued to press. A great opportunity fell to Findlay to put Valspar ahead in the 65th minute, but he missed, just failing to get enough on the cross ball from Glass. Findlay's effort squirted narrowly wide of the post.
This great game had a fitting end when Glass again managed to get in behind the Largs defence. This time he sent over the perfect cross for Findlay to nod into the net, only to see a superb one-handed save by the Largs keeper touch the ball over the bar and keep the scores level.
This was a tremendous game played in an honest and competitive manner by two excellent football teams, thoroughly enjoyed by players and fans alike. WIth only four games to go, it is still all to play for in the Central Ayrshire YFA U14s league!
Full Time: Valspar 2 Largs Colts 2
Login to post comments