Home My YFS

Dramatic finale as Whitletts lift William Nesbitt Trophy

Whitletts Victoria 3

Porter 19', Kerr 86', Baird 89'

Glenburn MW FC 2

Barr 44' (pen), Black 60'
  • Saturday, 07 May 2016
  • Dam Park, Ayr
  • Under 19´s
  • West of Scotland YFL William Nesbitt Cup Final

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

The third of the day’s finals at Dam Park offered up late drama as nine man Whitletts Victoria lifted the William Nesbitt cup all thanks to an extraordinary last five minute turn around. This was a devastating defeat for a Glenburn side who looked in control of the game going into its latter stages. Instead a never say die Whitletts team spirit was to make all the difference to the game’s eventual outcome.

It’s an understatement to say that this was a lively encounter throughout. The game began as such, with neither midfield giving an inch. Victoria were to have the better of the opening exchanges, with Aiden Porter testing Lewis McMurdo’s close range skills on eight minutes. The Glenburn stopper proved more than equal to the task with two strong gloves on the point blank header.

Neither side was carving out gilt edged openings, but with the danger of a stalemate looming, Whitletts took the lead from a fine flowing move in the 19th minute. It came from a powerful run down the left, from Kris Kerr, showing real strength to stay on his feet and provide the perfect cross for Porter’s run into the box. The midfielder capped a fine assist with an equally assured finish.

The weather was closing in as Glenburn dug for a response, getting forward in the damp conditions. Callum Haymarch provided the impetus with some driving runs to commit defenders, and his lay off to Fraser Smith almost provided an opportunity on 26 minutes, but the striker’s shot was blocked.

There was no question as to what this meant to both sides, in a committed midfield contest. It was to be a challenging day for the man in the middle with every decision a source of contention. It remained an even half of few clear cut chances until, just before half time, Glenburn levelled the tie from the spot.

Haymarch’s run into the box was tracked by Kerr but the Whitletts midfielder’s challenge gave the referee the easiest of decisions. Jordan Barr stepped up to fire home to send Glenburn in at half time with a more positive outlook.

  • Half Time:
  • Whitletts Victoria
  • 1-1
  • Glenburn MW FC

With little between these sides the second half kicked off in drizzly conditions, a challenging half as it turned out for both sets of players. Tempers were indeed to flare with Victoria being reduced to nine men, and Glenburn sought to exploit the space this offered. Neither side was fashioning clear chances as the game reached the hour mark. Something special was required to break the impasse.

And Glenburn had the breakthrough on 60 minutes, courtesy of a quick break down the right flank. Zak Ross took control of the ball, running half the length of the pitch, and his inch perfect ball in behind the defence had Ross Black clean through on goal to beat Robbi Wilson at his near post.

Graham Swailes should have added to the lead on a couple of occasions, through with the keeper to beat, his first effort going over and the second producing a fine stop from Wilson. As the game entered its closing stages it looked increasingly difficult to see how Whitletts could turn this game around.

But lo and behold there was a sensational twist in the tale. With nothing to lose now Whitlets were getting players forward, refusing to lie down. Almost from nowhere they stunned Glenburn with the equalising goal on 86 minutes, as Kerr tapped home his second from close range.

It was all up in the air again. Whitletts started to believe, and perhaps fatigue and shock took hold of Glenburn. The game raged from end to end as both sides sought a winner, with Black curling wide for Glenburn. Regan Forwell had a chance to be the hero, with two minutes left, but fired just wide. Instead, he set up substitute Jordan Baird for the final act in this drama.

It came from a long clearance, and the striker was on hand to lay off a perfect ball for Baird to beat McMurdo from close range, sparking scenes of delirium in the Victoria ranks.

A very tough way to lose for Glenburn, their second cup final defeat in a month, but it was a testament to a heroic Whitletts team effort as they went on to receive the trophy and celebrate with their jubilant fans.

  • Full Time:
  • Whitletts Victoria
  • 3-2
  • Glenburn MW FC


Whitletts Victoria
Glenburn MW FC
1. Robbi Wilson
2. Gregor Malone
3. Matthew Cree
4. Dylan Glass
5. Kyle Watson
6. Aiden Porter
7. Jordan Malone
8. Logan Dunlop
9. Regan Forwell
10. Lee Holland
11. Kris Kerr
12. Craig Brown
14. Jordan Baird
15. Nick Nelson
16. Jordan Philbin
17. Barron Mitchell
1. Lewis McMurdo
2. Zak Ross
3. Josh Rodgers
4. Jake Sillars
5. Rory Connell
6. Alexander Bell
7. Ross Black
8. Jordan Hendry
9. Callum Haymarch
10. Fraser Smith
11. Graham Swailes
12. Jordan Barr
14. Brandon Sakotti
15. Ian Rankin
16. Blaine Swift
17. Samuel Gray
Star Player
Whitletts Victoria
Glenburn MW FC
Kris Kerr was a key contributor with two goals and a superb opening assist.
Ross Black offered great energy going forward for Glenburn.
Magic Moment
Whitletts Victoria
Glenburn MW FC
Baird's last gasp winner won the cup for Whitletts.
Ross Black's goal on the hour capped an outstanding midfield move.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments