Home My YFS

Second half breakthrough seals all three points for Valspar

Written by  Valspar

Fixture: Caledonian United FC v Valspar FC
Competition: Central Ayrshire YFA U14s
Date: 21/04/2016
The game started evenly with the ball being fought for enthusiastically by both sides. But nothing of note occured until the tenth minute when Lewis Glass fed the ball through to Murray Thomson, whose shot was saved by the Caley keeper.
Caley pushed forward and after 13 minutes created a good chance with some decent play up the right. Valspar responded and were unlucky a couple of minutes later after Lewis Glass fired just wide after 15 minutes.
Caley countered in 18 minutes, again up the right hand side, but the final shot was easily picked up by MacKenzie Hill in the Valspar goal. Caley also had a couple of opportunities with free kicks, but both were struck high and handsome.
Lewis Glass continued to cause Caley problems on the left hand side when his fierce 27th minute shot struck the bar. His next cross ball was just missed by Chrissy Callander, who also had another chance a few minutes later from a cross by Tyler Robertson, but he struck straight at the Caley keeper. A scrappy first half ended goaless.
Half Time: Caledonian United 0 Valspar 0
The first half started as it ended, with Lewis Glass causing Caley problems down the left hand side. His first opportunity to score in 40 minutes was well defended by Caley's man between the sticks. Valspar continued to push forward and, five minutes later, Richie Simpson slid a nice through ball for Connor Purvis to strike a nice ball into the middle, but well picked up by the Calley keeper.
Calley were dangerous going forward and had a great chance in the 50th minute, bringing out a great save from the Valspar keeper to keep the scores level. A minute later some skilful play by Tyler Robertson looked certain to end in a goal, but the hosts' keeper took him out and Valspar were denied what looked like a stonewall penalty.
Valspar’s continued pressure finally paid off, however, when Lewis Glass was put through by Connor Purvis. After holding off the defender, Glass kept his composure to pass the ball past the keeper and into the corner of the net to opening the scoring for the visitors.
A strategic substitution in 60 minutes then paid off for the Valspar coaches and saw them double their lead, when Ron Mooney's first action on the field of play resulted in a goal for Valspar after some fantastic work by Lewis Glass to get the ball to him.
Another inspired substitution by Valspar brought on Craig Findlay, who flicked the ball over not one, not two, but three Caley players before slamming the ball home to put Valspar three up with 75 minutes on the clock.
Caley never stopped working and had a couple of good chances denied by the Valspar defence in the closing stages, but failed to change the scoreline. Much like Saturday’s game against Prestwick, Valspar had to be content with winning ugly by their standards and taking the three points gratefully.
Full Time: Caledonian United 0 Valspar 3
Login to post comments