Home My YFS

Second Half Show Seals Prestwick Cup Triumph

Prestwick Community FC 6

Anderson 30' 49' 73', McLean 52' 63', Hughes 78'

Cumnock Juniors YFC 2

Barr 25' 57'
  • Sunday, 03 April 2016
  • Kilwinning Sports Club
  • Under 15´s
  • CAYFA Age 15 Supplementary League Cup

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

These two shared eight goals between them in an entertaining cup final at Kilwinning Sports Club. In the end it was a convincing score line for Prestwick over Cumnock Juniors, a young side still gelling. Prestwick were to give them a real lesson in finishing with two late goals putting some polish on the silverware. Nevertheless, it was a cup which still hung in the balance until the latter stages when Prestwick closed the game out with a dominant second half display.

It was an even contest for the opening half, as both sides traded blows to go in level at the break. Prestwick’s movement up front was eventually to outdo Cumnock, along with some explosive long range finishing from Reece McLean.

Their tactic from the outset was to get quickly in behind the Cumnock back line, using their pace up front to stretch them. Jack Anderson hung on the shoulders of every ast defender and was a dangerous presence throughout. His deft take down and shot on 12 minutes was the first clear chance, but he could only find the side netting.

The game began to open up and at the other end Cumnock were just off target a minute later, with Ben Menzies just firing wide from long range. He was to force a save from Jack Peacock 3 minutes later, with the Prestwick keeper parrying his shot to safety.

The early to and fro continued, with neither side establishing a clear momentum. Peacock was caught off his line on 20 minutes, but Ben Medhurst and Robbie Welsh were unable to capitalise for Juniors as alert defending came to Prestwick’s rescue.

Cumnock were beginning to have a better spell, winning the 50 50s in midfield with Welsh providing an aerial threat up front. From the set piece Medhurst forced another good save from Peacock as they continued to threaten.

And they were to go one better just two minutes later, as they took the lead. A fine leap and knock down from Welsh was laid perfectly into the path of Justin Barr to drive low past Peacock. On the run of play thus far Juniors had just about deserved their lead.

It was to last just 5 minutes though, with Prestwick jolted into action. Anderson continued to make a nuisance of himself up front, and this time he caught out Cumnock keeper Callum Thom as he came for a ball on the edge of the D. The forward beat him to it as he took the ball around him to equalise into the empty net.

Prestwick were then almost in front in the run up to half time, with Josh Alexander through on goal. This time good strength from Nathan Girvan prevented the forward from testing Thom.

  • Half Time:
  • Prestwick Community FC
  • 1-1
  • Cumnock Juniors YFC

The second half was a different story as Prestwick emerged the more energised and went on to take a decisive grip of the game. Chances fell in the opening spell to Anderson and Alexander, as they really tested the Cumnock offside trap.

It was still to take another quarter of an hour for them to finally get their noses in front. And it came as Anderson grabbed his second goal, firing home from McLean’s low right hand cross.

The screw was beginning to tighten, and Prestwick were to establish a 2 goal lead 3 minutes later. This time it came from a set piece spectacular, as McLean teed the ball up to fire a low shot past Thom from 25 yards.

With the two goal cushion Prestwick still had some work to do to make sure of the win. Cumnock found a ray of hope at the other end, as James Pring caught the defence napping to help the ball on for Barr to bundle home on 57 minutes.

Springing back to life, Cumnock poured forward confidently looking for a leveller. A quick exchange between Welsh and Barr had Medhurst clean through, but he was only able to shoot wide on 61 minutes.

And this period was when the cup’s destiny would be decided, Prestwick went up the other end to re-establish their two goal cushion two minutes later. It came from another McLean special, as he found space outside the box 25 yards out. His curling shot soared high past Thom to dash any Cumnock hopes of a famous fightback.

Prestwick now looked the more confident as they threatened further damage. Another long range cracker, this time from Jordan Brown, clipped the crossbar on 64 minutes, before they put a gloss on the score line in the final 10 minutes.

Anderson grabbed his hat trick on 73 minutes, with a cheeky nutmeg on his opposing defender to then shoot home for number five. The striker almost grabbed his fourth as he rattled the Cumnock bar in the final minute, but it was Lewis Hughes who pounced to finish from the rebound to give this win a more emphatic look.

  • Full Time:
  • Prestwick Community FC
  • 6-2
  • Cumnock Juniors YFC


Prestwick Community FC
Cumnock Juniors YFC
1. Jack Peacock
2. Adam Mitchell
3. Sam Brotherston
4. Josh Alexander
5. Connor Mulgrew (c)
6. Matheson Harper Tichener
7. Aiden O'Neil
8. Reece McLean
9. Lewis Hughes
10. Ryan Connor
11. Matthew Merry
12. Ryan Lynch
14. Shaun Herron
15. Jack Anderson
16. Aaron Lindsay
17. Jack Dick
18. Paul O'Neil
1. Callum Thom
2. Jordan Brown
3. Kane Halliday
4. Jordan Beck
5. Jack Logan
6. Nathan Girvan
7. Ben Menzies
8. James Pring
9. Robbie Welsh
11. Lee Wilson
15. Panos Kourouklis
16. Neil Lockwood
17. Ben Medhurst (c)
19. Justin Barr
20. Rhys McCulloch
21. Regan Menzies
Star Player
Prestwick Community FC
Cumnock Juniors YFC
Jack Anderson - He notched a hat trick, and a danger up front for the whole game.
Justin Barr - His two goals gave Cumnock hope in each half.
Magic Moment
Prestwick Community FC
Cumnock Juniors YFC
Reece McLean stole the show with the long range specials. His free kick on 52 minutes lit the the touch paper for Prestwick.
Barr opened the scoring when Cumnock were on top and gave them hope.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments