Home My YFS

Largs Colts See off Valspar to Progress To Final

Largs Colts 2002s 4

Brown 33' 57', Bainbridge 36' 39'

Valspar 2002s 2

Glass 2', Thomson 56'
  • Saturday, 19 March 2016
  • Barrfields Park, Largs
  • Under 14´s
  • CAYFA League Cup Semi final

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

The stage was set for an engrossing semi-final as these two league rivals faced off at Barrfields. In the end a confident second half performance from the league leaders proved decisive with Louis Bainbridge’s thunderbolt strike stealing the show. Colts now progress to the final to face Ayr Boswell next month.
And yet it took a while for the home side to find their stride as Valspar stunned Colts to grab an early lead. The visitors seemed to have soaked up the first half pressure, only for the hosts to grab a lifeline equaliser just before half time. There was then no looking back from Bainbridge’s rocket right after half time, as Colts took control in the second half.
For much of the opening half Valspar proved testing opponents, especially when they got the ball forward to Lewis Glass. The striker was a real handful up front throughout for the Colts defence and it was he who stunned the hosts to give the visitors the early lead on 2 minutes. Latching onto a through ball there were suspicions of offside but the striker showed great composure to control the ball and beat Jonathan Irwin from close range.
He could even have doubled his side’s advantage a few minutes later, before Colts started to find their passing game. This time Irwin was alert to parry his shot after a high ball through. Only thereafter did Colts start to get to their rhythm and passing game, as Bainbridge Robbie Coupar and Dylan Smith started to see more of the ball.
Good work out wide saw Smith lay on a couple of glorious chances on 10 minutes. From the first delivery Declan Barbour struck the woodwork and then another tantalising cross went just beyond Adam Brown as Largs pressed in midfield.
Largs continued to pass and move as they stayed on the front foot. They may even have started to wonder if it wasn’t to be their day as Glen McTaggart passed up a glorious chance with a free header not testing McKenzie Hill on 21 minutes.
Further efforts were off the mark from Robbie Coupar and Barbour as Valspar perhaps began to feel they had weathered the storm. Along with this Glass continued to be a menace on the counter, hanging on the shoulders of the Colts defence at every opportunity.
But the visitors could not hold out and Largs grabbed a deserved equaliser on 33 minutes. It required a bit of good fortune as McTaggart’s shot struck the woodwork and bounced around the box, only for Brown to tap home from close range.
  • Half Time:
  • Largs Colts 2002s
  • 1-1
  • Valspar 2002s
Just on kick off the second half had a spectacular opening as Bainbridge took the ball down 30 yards out and gave Hill no chance with a powerful shot into the top corner. It provided a perfect springboard to the half as Bainbridge doubled his side’s advantage 3 minutes later.
This time he was quickest on to a through ball to dash through on Hill and beat the keeper from closerange. Valspar had it all to do now, chasing the game at the risk leaving space in behind.
To their credit the visitors kept pushing players forward and pulled a goal back on 54 minutes. Glass chased a lost cause down the right flank and won a free kick. The delivery was perfect for Murray Thomson unmarked to reduce the arrears with 15 minutes on the clock.
The game turned in a two-minute spell just later. Valspar pushed for a leveller and Chrissy Calander threaded a neat ball through for Glass, but he shot straight at Irwin. Then any glimmer of hope for the visitors was extinguished as Colts restored their two goal advantage.
It was a great striker’s goal as Brown latched onto a through ball and showed good strength to shrug off a defensive challenge. His composed finish gave Hill no chance and put his side well and truly back in the driving seat.
It was to prove a brief glimmer of hope though as Colts exploited the space behind the Valspar rear-guard to restore the two goal lead just a minute later.
With the tie now firmly in their grasp Largs now slowed the game down and tried to retain possession. With nothing to lose Valspar kept chasing the game with Craig Findlay firing just wide in the closing stages.
Top of the league and with a cup final to look forward to it is promising to be quite a season for Colts. Valspar are very much in contention too as both sides return to league business this weekend.
  • Full Time:
  • Largs Colts 2002s
  • 4-2
  • Valspar 2002s


Largs Colts 2002s
Valspar 2002s
1. Jonathan Irwin
2. Callum Wilson
3. Craig Loudon
4. Dylan Weir
5. Kieran MacNeil
6. Robbie Coupar (c)
8. Glen McTaggart
9. Dylan Smith
10. Adam Brown
11. Jamie Coupar
12. Declan Barbour
14. Lewis Florence
15. Fraser Blair
16. Louis Bainbridge
17. Ben Robson
18. Lewis Cormack
20. Luc Leishman
1. McKenzie Hill
2. Layton Weaver
3. Murray Thomson
4. Harry Evans
5. Connor Purvis
6. Joe Latana
7. Chrissy Calander
8. Stuart Findlay
9. Keir O'Neill
10. Tony Nelson
11. Tyler Robertson
12. Aaron Brown
14. Craig Findlay
15. Richie Simpson
16. Ron Murray
17. Lewis Glass
18. Liam Storrie
Star Player
Largs Colts 2002s
Valspar 2002s
Louis Bainbridge - He was an ever present danger, grabbing a double and stealing the show with a wonder strike.
Lewis Glass - He was a powerful presence up front for Valspar, whenever his team mates could get supply up to him.
Magic Moment
Largs Colts 2002s
Valspar 2002s
Bainbridge's 25 yarder was the goal of the game and sent Largs on their way.
Glass gave the visitors an early advantage with a good finish on 2 minutes.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments