Home My YFS

A stoppage time equaliser snatches a point for Largs against a resiliant Crosshouse

Written by  Largs Colts 2002

Fixture: Largs Colts v Crosshouse Boys Club U14
Competition: Central Ayrshire YFA League
Venue: Barrfields
Date: Saturday 7th November 2015
Largs Colts were full of confidence following the 9-2 win away at the same opponents as last week as they took the field with the same line up. Irwin in goals, a back four of Loudon, Weir, Robson and Leishman. The usual midfield quartet was R.Coupar, Bainbridge, Cormack and McTaggart with Smith and Brown up top once again. On the bench were J.Coupar, Blair, Wilson and Barbour.

Largs began the brighter of the sides with Brown putting wide inside the first minute. With only two minutes played, Smith then hit the bar with a venomous strike, and the ball was cleared by Crosshouse.
Colts then had a succession of corners, and despite the excellent deliveries, nobody could get on the end of it to divert to ball into the back of the net.
Colts were made to pay the price when on six minutes a free kick from Crosshouse took an unfortunate deflection off Leishman for the visitors to break the deadlock. 1-0 Crosshouse.
The home side were looking to respond immediately, and an excellent run from Cormack found Smith inside the six yard box, though somehow the ball managed to clear the bar. I think he watched too much of the Rugby World Cup.
Colts kept on the offensive with Leishman striking from distance after a neat passing move, though his effort flew inches wide of the target. Smith then had an effort well saved by the keeper before another good passing move from Largs reached Smith, who eventually got Largs back on level terms, finished well at the keepers near post.
Colts were creating chance after chance by now with Smith and McTaggart next to try their luck without any joy. Crosshouse did have the occasional break forward, though twice were halted by the tracking back and tackling of R.Coupar. At the other end, Brown was played through and struck narrowly wide. Leishman then had a strong effort saved well by the keeper before McTaggart and Brown both had efforts superbly saved to prevent Largs from heading in to half time with the lead.
Half Time: Largs Colts 1-1 Crosshouse BC
Colts again started the second half well and Smith brought out another great save from the Crosshouse keeper when he was through one on one.
Brown was next to be one on one and struck with power, but just wide of the target. Leishman, who was getting forward at every opportunity, carried the ball over 20 yards out before unleashing a great shot which yet again the keeper managed to claw the ball away and grabbed it at the second attempt. It was going to take something very special to score against him.
The chances kept coming for Colts with Bainbridge picking the ball deep and creating openings. The Crosshouse keeper was in inspired form and saved with his legs on two occasions again with Colts strikers one on one.  J.Coupar came on for Cormack and immediately setup Brown after some good control, although again Colts couldn't find the net.
Despite all of the pressure and chances they had, on 58 minutes Colts received a sucker punch when a counter attack followed by a speculative effort evaded keeper Irwin for an unbelievable lead for Crosshouse. Somehow they were ahead!
Colts kept playing football, and on 61 minutes J.Coupar thought he had equalised for the home side as his sweetly struck shot from the edge of the box smacked the inside of the post, trundled along the goal line, and rolled agonisingly past the opposite post.
Blair and Barbour came on as Colts desperately searched for the equaliser. One minute into stoppage time, Colts finally got their equaliser, and it was Brown that struck a sweet effort into the top right corner to at least salvage a point for the luckless Colts.
Full Time: Largs Colts 2-2 Crosshouse BC
On another day this could easily have been 9-2, as it was last week. Colts created some excellent opportunities and although profligate in front of goal, the movement and passing was strong and the goals will come. Best on the day for Colts were Leishman, Loudon, Weir and Bainbridge with the latter taking the man of the match award for his driving runs and excellent control. Colts will be disappointed to drop two points, though they remain unbeaten in six league games and within touching distance of the top of a very tight league.
A special word for John Hood the Crosshouse coach for his positive coaching of his team and the sportsmanship of the opposition team. After the heavy defeat of last week the team responded well and had a keeper on top of his game. Colts have a fixture to play away at Kilwinning next week though with the weather forecast are more likely to have the weekend off.
The Gypsy Cream Cafe sponsored this match for Colts and also provided hot soup and tablet for the players and coaches which was much appreciated on a wet and cold morning. The support Colts receive from local businesses has been excellent and really helps the club in supporting the boys. Thanks again this week to all at Gypsy Cream Cafe.
Login to post comments