Home My YFS

Winlinton Wolves too hungry for Tass Colts

Tass Thistle Colts 1

Lewis 23'

Winlinton Wolves 4

Savage 51' Wells 57' Own Goal 64' Kelly 74'
  • Sunday, 30 August 2015
  • St Matthews's Academy, Saltcoats
  • Under 15´s
  • CAYFA Under 15s League 1

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

On a perfect day for football, both Winlinton Wolves and Tass Colts were looking to get back to winning ways after defeats in last weekend’s CAYFA fixtures. In the end, a strong Wolves side had too much for a depleted Tass outfit, operating without recognised goalkeeper Cameron McDermid, and prevailed 4-1.

Nevertheless, this was the proverbial game of two halves. Tass had got their noses in front at half-time and were more than matching their opponents until Wolves turned the screw in the second half, scoring four goals to end-up comfortable winners.

The visitors began at a high tempo, seeking to seize the initiative in midfield. Finn Johnston showed some good early touches to release Liam Wells and Murray Thomson down the flanks to stretch the home defence. On 12 minutes, Johnston put Kiran Larmour through outside the box, but he could only shoot narrowly wide.

Wolves were dominating the early stages, pressing their hosts back and getting their players on the ball. They were almost through when Thomson tested Tass keeper Sean Clemant with a driving run and shot on 16 minutes, but the stand-in goalie did well to hold onto the shot.

Tass had weathered the early storm and on 23 minutes went even better, getting up the other end of the pitch and taking the lead with their first serious effort at goal. After a surging run down the right, Callum Devine’s squared cross was parried by Clark Spence into the path of Keigan Lewis who made no mistake from close range to give Tass the lead against the run of play.

Colts now had a spring in their step and Patrick Woods and Jay Slavin were starting to see more of the ball in midfield. After a bright start Wolves seemed a little shell shocked for a brief spell, but were soon up the pitch in search of the equaliser.

Thomson started a fine move down the Tass left, releasing William Nelson but his cross was just too far for Charles Savage in the middle. The forward then passed up a golden opportunity on 33 minutes with a free header from Wells’s corner. Would the visitors rue these misses? 

As the half drew to a close, Tass gained more possession in midfield without really threatening to extend their lead. Woods and Bradley Morrison were beginning to exert an influence in the middle, with Devine continuing to provide good options down the flank.

  • Half Time:
  • Tass Thistle Colts
  • 1-0
  • Winlinton Wolves

Wolves sought to up the tempo again as the second half got under way, firstly with Taylor Boyd testing Clemant from long range and then as Darren Kelly’s shot was cleared of the line after 45 minutes. A Wolves goal seemed only a matter of time and the equaliser duly arrived on 51 minutes.

After a determined chase down the right flank, Thomson delivered a precise cross to give Savage the easiest of finishes from point blank range. A well deserved equaliser on the balance of play.

The game was still up for grabs though and Colts did occasionally get Woods and Morrison forward to test the visitors on the break. But Wolves had the wind in their sails and were soon in front on 57 minutes.

Savage’s left hand corner was half cleared from a crowded penalty box, only to land at the feet of Wells on the right edge of the area. His low angled shot found the net in off the post to give the visitors the advantage.

As the second half wore on, Tass began to lose their shape and focus as Wolves surged forward, with Nelson orchestrating things from midfield. Soon enough, they all but made sure of the victory on 64 minutes. Another Savage delivery from the left was deflected off Jamie Morgan into his own net to extend Wolves' lead and make it 3-1.

The home side kept chasing the game, with still a glimmer of hope, but the game was soon beyond them on 74 minutes as Kelly tapped home number four from Savage’s left free-kick delivery. The visitors ended the game in full control as tired Tass heads dropped and were unlucky not to extend their lead as chances fell to Aaron Boyd and Connar Eskdale in the game’s closing moments.

Wolves will be hoping to build on their success as they host Valspar next week, while Tass visit Glenburn, hoping to get key players back from injury and get some points on the board.

  • Full Time:
  • Tass Thistle Colts
  • 1-4
  • Winlinton Wolves


Tass Thistle Colts
Winlinton Wolves
7. Sean Clement
2. Jamie Morgan
4. Jack Taylor
5. David Calder
6. Bradley Morrison
8. Jay Slavin
10. Patrick Woods
11. Keigan Lewis
12. Ryan Olson
14.Rob Yorkston
17. Callum Devine
18. Ben O'Neill
1. Clark Spence
2. Murray Thomson
4. Taylor Boyd
5. Adam Morrison
6. Ciaran Rocks
7. Aaron Boyd
8. William Nelson
9. Charles Savage
10. Finn Johnston
12. Dillon Williams
14. Darren Kelly
15. Kieran Larmour
16. Connar Eskdale
17. Liam Wells
19. Sean McLean
20. Jordan Vernon
Star Player
Tass Thistle Colts
Winlinton Wolves
Callum Devine - Showed great energy up front, laying on the opening goal.
William Nelson - Ran things for Wolves in midfield.
Magic Moment
Tass Thistle Colts
Winlinton Wolves
Lewis's opener gave the hosts a glimmer of hope.
Wells' fine strike gave Wolves the lead in the second half.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments