Home My YFS

Honours even between Tass and Hurlford

Tass Thistle Colts 1

Woods 54

Hurlford Boys Club 1

Bolland 42
  • Thursday, 02 April 2015
  • Ardeer Quarry, Stevenston
  • Under 14´s
  • Central Ayrshire Youth Football League

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

This was always going to be a tight encounter at Ardeer Quarry between two evenly matched sides. Both kept their table topping hopes alive in a keenly contested game in which neither side could fashion that vital cutting edge.
It was a first half of few clear opportunities as both sides fought for space in a congested midfield area. An early change did fall for Tass, as Jay Slavin headed just over the bar on 2 minutes.
The main danger at the other end was coming through the pace of Hurlford’s Denver Bolland. A good run through the middle on 5 minutes was halted only by the alertness of Cameron McDermid in the Tass goal.
The visitors went on to win a number of set pieces in dangerous areas of the pitch, without really testing McDermid. Adam Campbell fizzed a tight angle shot just over from the left, as the game went end to end.
Tass showed some good energy going through the middle Patrick Woods and Bradley Morrison. Ben O’Neill was linking up well with these two down the flank as the home side tried to find a way through.
But it was Hurlford who almost broke the deadlock on half time, as McDermid miscued a kick out straight to Bolland. His parried shot landed straight at Lyon Kerr’s feet but he fired just over the bar.
  • Half Time:
  • Tass Thistle Colts
  • 0-0
  • Hurlford Boys Club
It was a game that needed a goal to enliven proceedings and the second half provided just that at both ends. Shortly after David Calder headed over for the hosts, Hurlford went up the other end to take the lead on 42 minutes.
A quick free kick into the box caught out the Tass defence and Barry Davidson nodded the ball on for Bolland to fire low past McDermid.
Hurlford could have extended their lead just two minutes later as Bolland linked up Adam Campbell in the box , but his shot was just off target.
Tass pushed forward for an equaliser, and Woods was seeing more of the ball around the opponents box. After a shot straight at the keeper, the midfielder was to equalise for the hosts from the penalty spot on 54 minutes.
After a good run Ben O’Neill was brought down on the left of the penalty area and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Woods duly stepped up to get his side back in the match.
Tass hoped to get a lift from this but instead it was Hurlford who looked the more likely with some determined runs by Kerr stretching the hosts’ defence. After a good run down the Tass right the midfielder’s cut back found Conner Murphy free in the middle, but is shot went over the bar.
Calder was withdrawn after taking a knock for the hosts as the midfield battle intensified. A final chance was to fall at both ends the closing frenetic stages, as these two sides scrapped for an advantage.
Firstly Lennon Slavin burst into the box and linked with Keegan Lewiss, who fired straight at the keeper, then with 5 minutes left Ben Wilson had his shot tipped over the Tass bar.
In the end a draw was probably the fairest outcome in this encounter. Neither side lacked for effort but will look on it as two points dropped as they challenge for the top berths as the league campaign enters the home strait.
  • Full Time:
  • Tass Thistle Colts
  • 1-1
  • Hurlford Boys Club


Tass Thistle Colts
Hurlford Boys Club
1. Cameron McDermid
2. Jamie Morgan
4. Jack Taylor
5. Kieran Lamour
6. Kai Duncan
7. Sean Clemant
8. Jay Slavin
9. Lennon Slavin
10. Patrick Woods
11. Keegan Lewiss
15. David Calder
16. Bradley Morrison
17. Calumm Devine
18. Ben O'Neill
1. Lauchlan Kirkland
3. Kerr Fullarton
4. Lyon Kerr
5. Marcus Robertson
6. Ben Wilson
7. Barry Davidson
8. Taylor Crolla
11. Sean Barclay
12. Adam Campbell
14. Blair Taylor
17. Denver Bolland
18. Jamie Young
19. Marc Wilson
20. Conner Murphy
Star Player
Tass Thistle Colts
Hurlford Boys Club
Patrick Woods. Looked lively in second half and got his side's equaliser from the spot.
Denver Bolland showed great pace and energy throughout, grabbing his side's opener.
Magic Moment
Tass Thistle Colts
Hurlford Boys Club
Woods getting his side back on level terms.
Bolland's opener on 42 minutes gave the visitors an edge.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments