Home My YFS

Second half double fires Terregles past Rovers to cup glory

Written by  Terregles FC

Fixture: Greystone Rovers vs Terregles FC U17s
Competition: Ryedale Cup - Final
Venue: David Keswick Centre, Dumfries
Date: 03/04/15
A decent crowd turned out at the David Keswick centre in Dumfries for what promised to be a closely fought game between two evenly matched sides. Before tonight's game both teams were unbeaten all season, with their league clash ending in a draw, but there had to be a winner tonight.
The match started at a ferocious pace with both teams really up for the occasion. Greystone had the best of the early chances, going close a few times. The best of their chances came from an indirect free-kick for a pass back inside the box, which Terregles managed to scramble clear of the goal.
As half time approached both teams were effectively cancelling each other out in the middle of the park.
Half Time: Greystone Rovers 0-0 Terregles FC
Not long into the second half and Greystone had a great chance to open the scoring. The ball broke to Liam Watson inside the Terregles half and he drove into the box, only to have his strike pushed over the bar from a fantastic save by Calvin Cunningham.
This seemed to spur Terregles into action and as they pushed up the park the ball found Ross Young on the left hand side of the box, he jinked through the Greystone defence and slotted home with his right foot - Terregles were a goal to the good.
The blues now had their tails up and their pressure paid off with a corner kick on the left. Euan Francis knocked the corner towards the back post where Tommy Goss rose to meet it, and head in Terregles' second.
Terregles held on to their 2-0 lead to lift the cup at the end of the game.
This was an excellent advert for youth football in the region, and with both teams still neck and neck in the league, and still in the Palmerston Cup, there promises to be some great games ahead.
Full Time: Greystone Rovers 0-2 Terregles FC
Login to post comments