Home My YFS

East End United stage memorable comeback to reach TWS Scottish Cup Final

East End United 4

O'Donnell 46, Pettigrew 88, 89, McCowan 91

Clydebank F.C. 3

Birnie 22, 26, Stewart 37
  • East End United Win 4-3 After Extra Time
  • Sunday, 29 March 2015
  • Parklea
  • Under 19´s
  • Trans World Soccer Scottish Youth FA Cup

David Brockett | YFS West Dunbartonshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

East End United staged a remarkable comeback from 3-0 down to win 4-3 and book their place inn the final of Trans World Soccer SYFA Cup on Sunday afternoon.
Zack Birnie’s first half double and Sean Stewart’s simple finish for Clydebank were cancelled out by Andy O’Donnell’s goal direct from a corner, and a late brace from substitute Paul Pettigrew,, sending the tie into extra time. Luke McCowan then scored in the first minute of first half extra time to complete a memorable comeback for the Greenock side. 
Clydebank ‘keeper Paul McKenna was called into action after six minutes when he rose expertly to tip Cory Hughes’ header over the bar, with the whistle subsequently sounding for offside.
Midway through the first half, Bankies took the lead. After great hold up play, Zack Birnie created space and lashed in the opener high past Arkley. It was the breakthrough Clydebank needed having been the better of the two sides in the opening exchanges.
Just four minutes later, Birnie doubled his tally. A bursting run from lone striker Sean Stewart saw him take the ball round Arkley, and despite taking it too far, he managed to cut the ball across the six yard line for Birnie, who tapped in as Bankies took control of the match.
With nine minutes of the first half remaining, Stewart has the perfect opportunity to add another for the visitors, but his effort went narrowly wide.
Less than a minute later however, Stewart did make amends for his miss by adding a third. The nippy forward picked the ball up wide on the left and drove at the heart of the United defence before curling a right footed shot round Arkley to seemingly all but end the tie. 
Christopher Richmond’s free kick, that was easily gathered by McKenna, was East End’s only chance of note as the first half ended with Clydebank three goals to the good. 
  • Half Time:
  • East End United
  • 0-3
  • Clydebank F.C.
From the outset of the second half, it was evident United were convinced they could turn the game around and almost did within a minute of the restart. Both Jack Rafferty and Cory Hughes had towering headers going whiskers wide of the crossbar and post respectively. 
On the hour mark, United found their way back into the match in bizarre circumstances. Andy O’Donnell’s corner evaded everyone and, wind assisted, flew into the top right hand corner giving hope to the hosts. 
Buoyed by reducing the deficit, End End went in search of another and almost found it through Lee Rodgers. The substitute, on a matter of seconds, cracked the upright with a fantastic drive that McKenna would not have reached. 
With twelve minutes remaining, Clydebank’s Conor MacLeod was shown a straight red card for violent conduct, and East End took full advantage. 
Hughes and Rodgers both had efforts narrowly wide as they looked to capitalise on the man advantage, and did grab a second with three minutes left. Paul Pettigrew expertly collected the ball inside the area and, after a ricochet, fired past McKenna. 
Seconds later, East End were awarded a spot kick when McKenna was adjudged to have brought down Scott Rush inside the area. Pettigrew stepped up and sent McKenna the wrong way to send the tie to extra time, amid jubilant celebrations from the home dugout after such a remarkable turnaround. 
  • Full Time:
  • East End United
  • 3-3
  • Clydebank F.C.
Within a minute of extra time commencing, the turnaround was complete thanks to McCowan. Having picked the ball up wide on the left, he drove at the Bankies back three before rolling the ball across McKenna to book his sides’ place in the final of the Scottish Cup.

East End had both Pettigrew and Taylor Lindsay dismissed after picking up their second cautions of the game, and were fortunate not to concede a penalty when Stewart was upended in the box but the referee waved play on as United held on for a memorable victory.

Final Result: East End United Win 4-3 After Extra Time


East End United
Clydebank F.C.
1. Stewart Arkley
2. Bradley Anderson
3. Connor McIntyre
4. Jack Rafferty
5. Reece Williamson
6. Scott Rush
7. Luke McCowan
8. Cory Hughes
9. Regan Williamson
10. Kwami Antoine
11. Andrew O'Donnell
12. Paul Pettigrew
14. Gregor Black
15. Christopher Ritchie
16. Lee Rodgers
17. Taylor Lindsay
1. Paul McKenna
2. Brad Sinclair
3. Calum Allardyce
4. Ross Smith
5. Jamie Grimes
6. Fraser Reid
7. Zack Birnie
8. Ryan McAllen
9. Joe McGinley
10. Calum Davidson
11. Conor MacLeod
12. Darren McKinley
15. Harry Clark
16. Jordan Campbell
18. Sean Stewart
19. Josh Sorbie
Star Player
East End United
Clydebank F.C.
Luke Mccowen caused the Bankies back line problems all afternoon with pace, vision and trickery. Took his goal well and deservedly struck the winner.
Zack Birnie, twice on the scoresheet, was twice in great positions to net the opening two goals of the game. Most fouled player in the match due to his pace and anticipation.
Magic Moment
East End United
Clydebank F.C.
Paul Pettigrew's penalty, under extreme pressure, was the definitive moment of the match as it went to extra time.
The tenacity shown by Clydebank striker Sean Stewart to score seconds after missing a crucial chance was notable.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments