Home My YFS

Lanarkshire Schools too strong for Aberdeenshire

Lanarkshire Schools Select 2

Law 78, Shields 86.

Aberdeenshire Schools Select 0

  • Thursday, 26 February 2015
  • Hamilton Palace, Hamilton.
  • Under 18´s

Martin McConnell | YFS South Lanarkshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Lanarkshire ended this match as the deserved winners on a cold and blustery day on the banks of the River Clyde. In the first half of the match Aberdeen had most of the possession whilst Lanarkshire had the best of the chances, this all changed however with the start of the second half were Lanarkshire completely dominated from then on in.
Aberdeen had an effort early on when Craig Mackie managed to get on the end of a ball inside the Lanarkshire penalty area, his resulting shot went close but on the wrong side of the crossbar. Shortly after, Lanarkshire’s first attempt came off the top of the bar when Alexander More sent his corner kick high towards the far post, Aidan Bickerton rose to meet the ball with his head despite being under pressure from the Aberdeen defence.
Aberdeen’s best effort came when Lachie MacLeod picked up the ball on the edge of the Lanarkshire box, with his back to goal, he managed to turn whilst holding off a challenge before letting loose just wide of the post. On the twentieth minute Mackie passed across field to Mathew Wallace who brought the ball under control and watched as his shot from twenty yards struck the outside of the Lanarkshire post and out for a corner.
Two minutes later, the home side had a corner kick that was sent low towards the Aberdeen goal mouth, the ball managed to evade both sets of players before being cleared from the penalty area towards More whose shot from twenty yards was comfortably stopped by Reece Duncan.
Just after the half hour, Grant Brownlie and Stefan Law combined well before sending a cross field pass towards Paul Nash running towards the Aberdeen goal, he controlled the ball and shot from the edge of the penalty area, Duncan saved for a Lanarkshire corner. 
The assault on goal continued when Conor McLaughlin passed nicely for Law to drill his close range shot towards Duncan who somehow managed to parry the ball away to safety. Afterwards More shot high from twenty five yards, this was to be the last of the action of a good first half.
  • Half Time:
  • Lanarkshire Schools Select
  • 0-0
  • Aberdeenshire Schools Select
Lanarkshire started strongly from the off and within minutes Jordan Lithgow crossed into the box for Brownlie to send his headed attempt goal wards but Duncan was having none of this when he saved by touching the ball onto the post.
Lithgow then hit a ‘Beckhamesque’ ball across field for Paul Nash who skilfully controlled the ball before sending it into the penalty area for Brownlie to shot by Duncan’s right hand post by inches! Lithgow was involved again when Law fought off challenges inside the Aberdeen box before back heeling to Lithgow, the resulting shot from twenty yards was comfortably held by Duncan.
The dead lock was broken in the seventy eighth minute when an Aberdeen defender clumsily pushed Law to the ground and left the referee with a decision to make, he awarded the Lanarkshire men a penalty kick, Law confidently stepped up and sent a low kick to the left as the keeper went right. Lanarkshire had the ball in the net for a second time within five minutes but was adjudged to be offside.
Aberdeen then had their own moment of drama when they too had a well-crafted goal ruled offside in the eighty fifth minute. Kyle Willox made a strong run down left wing before knocking the ball a little too far, Lewis Liversedge managed to keep the ball from going out for a goal kick and sent the ball low and hard across the face of the Lanarkshire goalmouth for Cameron Pashley to send into the back of the net.
The result was settled seconds later when Connor Shields ran in on goal, Duncan came out to meet him but Shields rounded him and sent the ball past two Aberdeen defenders and in for Lanarkshire’s second of the match. The final action came as McLaughlin jinked past a defender and shot low from edge of the penalty area, Duncan saved and sent ball past the post for another corner.
  • Full Time:
  • Lanarkshire Schools Select
  • 2-0
  • Aberdeenshire Schools Select


Lanarkshire Schools Select
Aberdeenshire Schools Select
1. C Henry GK
2. J Lithgow
3. A More
4. S Burns
5. A Bickerton
6. R Costello
7. S Law
8. C McLaughlin
9. G Brownlie
10. S Smith
11. P Nash
12. A McGuigan
14. C Welsh
15. C Shields
16. S Barr GK
1. R Duncan GK
2. C Tough
3. K Willox
4. C Mackie
5. C Ritchie
6. L Cunningham
7. B Davies
8. M Wallace
9. L MacLeod
10. C Pashley
11. L Liversedge
12. J Clarkson
14. L Masson
15. B Garrett
16. C Christie
17. D Leslie
Star Player
Lanarkshire Schools Select
Aberdeenshire Schools Select
Scott Burns. Gave a commanding defensive performance, reading of the game, positioning and economy of play all excellent.
Reece Duncan. Great display between the sticks, kept Aberdeen in the game at times.
Magic Moment
Lanarkshire Schools Select
Aberdeenshire Schools Select
Connor Shields goal.
Reece Duncan's save from a close range strike from Law.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments