Home My YFS

Aberdeen double enough to beat Dundee Utd in SPFL Development League

Dundee United FC 0

Aberdeen FC 2

Smith 54, Masson 62
  • Wednesday, 25 February 2015
  • Stark's Park
  • Under 20´s
  • SPFL Development League

Alasdair Hooper | YFS Dundee Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Aberdeen beat Dundee United 2-0 in their Wednesday afternoon match in the SPFL development league.  Cameron Smith scored early on in the second half before Jamie Masson converted a stunning free kick to ensure the Dons took the points back home with them from Kirkcaldy.

Both Dundee United and Aberdeen had put out strong sides for the game with plenty of first team players on show including Aberdeen’s Ash Taylor who was continuing his recovery from injury.

Aberdeen began the game the better side, retaining good possession of the ball, but without really probing. Dundee United then began to up their pressing in the match to make the game far more even. The first threat at goal arose in the 11th minute when Aberdeen right back, Michael Rose, played a long through ball for Cameron Smith to run onto. Dundee united Goalkeeper, Luis Zwick, was alert and raced out to claim the ball before Smith could latch onto it. 

The next close attempt came in the 24th minute for Dundee United. Forward, Mario Bilate, played a delightful pass straight into the path of Jamie Montgomery who had made a fine run at goal. With just the goalkeeper to beat the United number 10 slotted his shot just agonizingly wide of the post.

Dundee United were starting to become a threat in the goalmouth area and came inches away from a goal in the 25th minute. The ball fell to the feet of Montgomery in the penalty area and he duly unleashed a fierce shot. The ball deflected off of an Aberdeen defender and, with Robbie Mutch helpless in goal, the ball bounced of the post before being claimed by the Aberdeen ‘keeper.

In the 28th minute Dundee United came close once more from a corner kick. The ball was delivered perfectly into the danger area and met by Mario Bilate. Unfortunately for him, Clark Robertson had matched his run and the full back was able to disrupt and block his effort. Mutch was then left to pounce on the loose ball to relieve the danger.

Eight minutes later and it was Aberdeen’s turn to go close. Clark Robertson, overlapping on the left wing, fired a pinpoint cross right onto the foot of Lawrence Shankland who was lurking yards from goal. The striker unfortunately lashed his effort high over the crossbar.  

In the 38th minute Kieran Gibbons had a pop at goal for the Dons. The ball broke to the midfielder on the edge of the box and he fired at goal with a first time effort. The shot, however, was well blocked by John Souttar and Luis Zwick was able to catch the ball with most of the sting taken out of it. 

A minute later Mario Bilate was adjudged to have been fouled by Lukas Culjak about 25 yards from goal. Chris McLaughlin stepped up to take the resulting free kick and fired his effort just over the crossbar.

The remainder of the half saw little goalmouth action and, as the teams went in for the break, both were left to rue missed chances. 

  • Half Time:
  • Dundee United FC
  • 0-0
  • Aberdeen FC

Aberdeen began the second half with renewed desire and that paid dividends as they started to create a hatful of chances. Four minutes into the half Cameron Smith made a fine penetrating run into the penalty box before laying the ball off to his partner Shankland, who was also loitering in the danger area. Unfortunately he once again skied his opportunity high and wide, much to his annoyance.

A minute later Jamie Masson had an effort from distance that trickled wide of the post and, shortly after, Cameron Smith was guilty of slicing a shot high in a promising position.

In the 54th minute of the match the Aberdeen pressure finally told and the deadlock was broken. Aberdeen’s Cem Felek made a great individual run down the right wing towards the goal line. After evading the Dundee United challenges he successfully cut the ball back to Cameron Smith who was waiting near the penalty spot unmarked. The forward took one touch to control before picking his spot and thumped the ball into the net to make the score 1-0.

Eight minutes later Aberdeen doubled their lead in spectacular fashion. They were awarded a free kick in a great position, around 20-25 yards out. With both Felek and Jamie Masson looking to take the kick it was the number eight who stepped up to take the strike, and what a strike. The ball went straight over the Dundee United wall and flew into the net past the desperate Zwick. The game was Aberdeen’s to lose now.

In the 73rd minute Lawrence Shankland thought he had scored Aberdeen’s third after turning in Clark Robertson’s cross at the near post. The striker, however, was denied by the linesman flagging for offside.

Two minutes later Cameron Smith came close to getting a second goal for himself. Shankland held the ball up well before laying the ball off to Smith who unleashed a powerful low strike towards goal. Luis Zwick dived low to his left and did well to, not only save, but also hold the ball.

With 77 minutes player, the Aberdeen number 10 had another opportunity. He managed to gain a yard on his marker and run into the penalty area and fired a shot aimed towards the back post. John Souttar came sliding in to block and divert the effort into his own goalkeeper, who eventually pounced on the loose ball.

In the 80th minute Dundee United were presented with a great opportunity to grab a goal back. The ball managed to break to Scott Smith in the box and the United number four wasted no time in firing a low hard shot at goal. Quite amazingly, the shot was expertly saved by Robbie Mutch, who thrust out a right leg to parry the ball away from danger.

Three minutes later Mutch was called upon again. This time it was Jamie Montgomery who had managed to break into the penalty area and get a shot away. Once again the Dons ‘keeper managed to divert the ball away.

The referee blew the final whistle a few minutes later and Aberdeen’s job was done. The team played well throughout a majority of the match and used the amount of possession that they enjoyed to its full potential. Dundee United also managed to create a great number of chances in the match, particularly in the first half. For both sides there were plenty of positives to take from the match.  

  • Full Time:
  • Dundee United FC
  • 0-2
  • Aberdeen FC


Dundee United FC
Aberdeen FC
1. Luis Zwick
2. Euan Spark
3. Jamie Robson
4. Scott Smith
5. John Souttar
6. Cammy Ballantyne
7. Brad Smith
8. Darren Petrie
9. Mario Bilate
10. Jamie Montgomery
11. Chris McLaughlin
12. Euan Horne
13. Ryan Boothe
14. Rafa Malaga
15. Matty Smith
1. Robbie Mutch
2. Michael Rose
3. Clark Robertson
4. Kieran Gibbons
5. Ash Taylor
6. Lukas Culjak
7. Scott Wright
8. Jamie Masson
9. Lawrence Shankland
10. Cameron Smith
11. Cem Felek
12. Marcus Campanile
14. Michael Jones
15. Jamie Henry
16. Richie Petrie
17. Sam Robertson
Star Player
Dundee United FC
Aberdeen FC
Mario Bilate – Worked hard and pressed throughout the first half. His hold up play and bullying of defenders was arguably the main reason why Dundee United had plenty of chances in the first half. Missed his presence once he was withdrawn in the second half.
Cameron Stewart – Tricky, skillful and proved to be a huge threat in the game. Opened the scoring, had numerous other chances and also created plenty too. Cem Felek is also worth a mention with the wide man enjoying a similarly strong game.
Magic Moment
Dundee United FC
Aberdeen FC
Mario Bilate’s chance on the 28th minute – so close to going in but for some good defending. Also great to see a corner kick that clears the first man.
Jamie Masson’s goal – only one contender really isn’t there? So nice to watch.
Match Video Highlights
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments