Home My YFS

Tass Colts victorious over Largs Spartans

Tass Colts 6

Woods, 10, 15, 45 (pen), Devine, 30, Slavin, 55, 60

Largs Spartans 3

Griffins, 2, 25, Docherty, 48 (pen)
  • Saturday, 21 February 2015
  • St Matthew's Academy, Saltcoats
  • Under 14´s
  • Central Ayrshire League

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

The home side eventually ground down Largs Spartans in conditions which tested both sides in the Central Ayrshire league match at Saltcoats St Matthew’s Academy. This was a contest which ebbed and flowed both ways until the last 15 minutes when Tass Colts were able to put some gloss on their victory.
The game began in glorious sunshine, and the visitors took advantage with an early lead after two minutes. A long ball through the middle somehow evaded the Tass defenders and found David Griffins free in the box. Controlling the ball, he dispatched low into the net to give his side the early breakthrough.
Shaken into life Tass pushed forward, with Patrick Woods dashing down the right and flashing a shot just wide. Soon after, another deflected shot by Woods broke to Jamie Mills who was only thwarted by the alertness of Andrew Kane in the visitor's goal.
Suddenly the elements to look a turn for the worse and maintaining the ball under control became an added problem. Set pieces provided an ideal opportunity to test the keeper, and it was Tass who took first advantage to draw level on 10 minutes.
Brought down on the edge of the Largs box, Woods got up to take the free kick himself. His flighted shot into the swirling wind was finger tipped by Kane who was unable to keep the ball out of the net for 1-1.
Soon afterwards, the home side went in front. Bradley Morrison's run and cross down the left laid the ball on perfectly for Woods to do the rest from close range on 15 minutes.
Tass literally had the wind in their sails almost pushed further ahead through shots by Calumm Devine and Morrison, but the visitors were still looking dangerous, particularly through the strong runs of David Griffins into the box.
And just after Liam Stewart had headed narrowly over for the visitors they were back level. Winning a free kick just on halfway, the low set piece by Callum Bone went straight into the path of Griffins who finished low past Cameron McDermid.
Boosted by the leveller the Largs almost went on to take the lead, as good interplay between Griffins and Ben Docherty found Reece Allan free in the box, but his shot was blocked by McDermid.
And on 30 minutes Tass took the lead. From the left Kai Duncan swung a high ball into Devine in the penalty area. His shot looked straight at the keeper who just couldn't gather and the ball was over the line for 3-2 to the hosts.
Not allowing their heads to go down Largs burst upfield, and but for two fine stops by McDermid could have gone into the break on level terms. Firstly Griffins was put clean through and the keeper rushed out to stop, before another fine save from the rebound preserved his side's lead at the break.
  • Half Time:
  • Tass Colts
  • 3-2
  • Largs Spartans
The cat and mouse game continued at the start of the second half, as Largs continued to look dangerous as they hunted for the leveller. McDermid was showing great command of his area, almost as a sweeper keeper, firstly to block a Ben Docherty shot, and then with another fine save from Griffins. 
From good work at one end Tass capitalised at the other on 45 minutes. A high ball through found Keegan Lewiss free running into the box and he was brought down in the area. From the spot kick Woods made no mistake for his hat trick, finishing low to Kane's left. Was this the decisive two goal cushion?
Not yet. Largs still had some fight left and soon after it was their turn to visit the penalty spot, after Docherty was brought down in the box. The number  10 got up to finish from the spot to narrow the Tass lead back to one goal.
So going into the last quarter this game was still up for grabs as both teams chased up both ends in very changeable conditions. The Tass threat was coming down the left with several dangerous runs beginning to stretch the visitors defence. 
And with the visitors perhaps tiring Tass pushed further ahead with a decisive goal. Gathering the ball in midfield down the right Lennon Slavin raced into the box down the left to power home for 5-3 on 55 mins.
As the clocked ticked down Tass began to play the ball about, with their opponents finally sensing it wasn’t their day. The finishing touch came with 5 minutes left. Woods threaded the ball into Slavin in the penalty area to round off the scoring.
Tass had finally secured a deserved win and the scoreline looks convincing, but this match was a close run affair until the closing stages. Positives for both sides to take from a match played in such challenging conditions.
  • Full Time:
  • Tass Colts
  • 6-3
  • Largs Spartans


Tass Colts
Largs Spartans
1. Cameron McDermid
2. Jamie Morgan
4. Jack Taylor
6. Kai Duncan
7. Sean Clemant
8. Jay Slavin
9. Lennon Slavin
10. Patrick Woods
11. Keegan Lewiss
15. David Calder
16. Bradley Morrison
17. Calumm Devine
1. Andrew Kane
2. Callum Bone
3. Drew Clive
4. Lee McShane
5. Ben Robson
6. Reece Allan
7. Lewis Cormack
8. Liam Stewart
9. David Griffins
10. Ben Docherty
11. Louis Bainbridge
12. Gareth Reid
15. Ben Riley
16. Jamie Mills
Star Player
Tass Colts
Largs Spartans
Patrick Woods. Hat trick hero.
David Griffins. Two goals and dangerous runs.
Magic Moment
Tass Colts
Largs Spartans
Slavin's decisive goal on 55 put Colts out of sight.
Griffin's leveller on 25 minutes to equalise with a fine finish.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments