Home My YFS

Spartans overcome Salvesen to secure quarter final spot

Spartans FC Youth 4

Murphy 4, Love 7, Fergie 57, Lovell 90+2

Salvesen CFC 97 2

Jackson (pen) 36, McNeill 80
  • Saturday, 17 January 2015
  • Spartans Academy
  • Under 19´s
  • Bob Bankier Trophy

Goals from Murphy, Love, Fergie and Lovell for the home side saw Spartans move into the quarter finals to face Hutchison Vale after defeating Salvesen 97's 4-2 in a pulsating cup tie at Ainslie Park with Jackson with McNeill replying for the visitors.

Salvesen got this Bob Bankier Trophy cup tie underway on a surprisingly pleasant day for football especially after the weather of the last week or so.

Ryan Love started off in blistering form and made a good run down the right wing but his shot was cleared up field and it was Love again who was involved in the home sides next move after he again marauded up the right leaving the Salvesen players in his wake then played a ball to Nick Marshall who found Mario Falsone who saw his fierce shot tipped brilliantly onto the bottom of the near post by Andrew Smith and out for a corner.

The resulting corner was whipped in by Love and after a bit of a scramble in the box Sam Murphy picked up the loose ball and blasted in off the underside of the bar with four minutes gone to put the home side in front.

Salvesen came back at Spartans after good play by Ewan Waddell on the left squared the ball to Ryan Campbell who blasted straight at the keeper but the visitors next venture up field nearly bore fruit when Waddell found himself one on one with Wieruszewski in the Spartans goal but the home keeper did brilliantly to stay big and spread himself to deflect the shot away from the danger area.

Adam Robertson had several chances for the men from Forresters when he shot just wide of the far post with his low driven shot, then he drove into the box from the left but his shot was blocked and after being set up by John Dunbar he saw his well struck shot cleared.

Nick Marshall was trying to match Robertson for his side when he took it upon himself to try and increase the home sides lead. Marshall went on a good run down the right but was crowded out by two Salvesen men and the ball went out for a goal kick.

He was then denied what looked a sure goal when he was just about to pull the trigger inside the box a superb last ditch tackle by Ben Leicester who nicked the ball away in time and his next attempt would have been one to remember as he went for a spectacular bicycle kick but his fabulous effort went over the bar.

Love was terrorizing the visitors down the left hand side and again after a great individual run evading several tackles he drove in on goal but Smith was alert to save Love's powerfully hit shot then Love's next attempt saw him hook his shot just over the bar.

Twenty minutes gone and it was end to end stuff now and it was Salvesen on the attack again when Waddell got the break of the ball on the right and forced Wieruszewski into a good stop low down to his left.

Marshall then shot wide for the Ainslie Park men with Waddell again forcing Wieruszewski into another fine stop at the other end of the park.

Salvesen were looking for the equalizer and Calum Jackson was unlucky to see his goal bound shot superbly blocked by Eoghann Douglas who had been solid at the back for the men in blue  and white.

Salvesen should have got on level terms when Ryan Campbell had a great chance after he found himself free at the back post but failed to hit the target.

A really good cup tie which the neutral would have loved as the next goal could have come from either side and it was the home side who went looking for it when Marshall rode a few challenges down the right side and played the ball into the box but Falsone did not make the contact he wanted and Smith saved comfortably.

Marshall was involved again with Spartans next attack after another great run down the right he found Brad Fergie who showed great control to play in Falsone who saw his shot saved again by Smith.

A freekick from Salvesen was floated into the box by Jackson and Baillie McLean was deemed to have handled the ball and the referee pointed to the spot. A decision that seemed a bit soft but in football today you just can not raise your arms as you are always running the risk of being penalized.

A great opportunity for Salvesen on the 36th minute to get level and this was the duely taken when Jackson stepped up and fired low into the left hand corner leaving Wieruszewski with no chance.

Salvesen could and probably should have doubled their lead a minute later when Robertson found himself in a great position in the box but shot just over the bar then Dunbar and Robertson combined well down the left but Douglas done well to come out and force them wide to avert the danger.

Salvesen were probably just edging the game going into the last five minutes and they had the final effort of the half but Robertson saw his shot deflected for a corner.

The resulting corner was cleared up field and the referee blew for half time.

  • Half Time:
  • Spartans FC Youth
  • 1-1
  • Salvesen CFC 97

Spartans got the game restarted after the interval and it was Spartans who created the first effort of the half after McClean played in Jordon lock but his powerful drive was blocked and Salvesen cleared up field.

A free kick on the halfway line for Spartans was floated into the right hand side of the box by McClean and Marshall showed good control but his shot went high and wide but Spartans next attack provided a better outcome.

A great move led to the home side going back in front in the 49th minute after Falsone picked up ball in midfield and released Marshall down the left who crossed to the back post which was controlled by Fergie. The big number 19 then played the ball into the box where Love was lurking unmarked and he headed home from close range at the back post.

Salvesen came close to getting back on level terms after winning a corner on the right, Jackson whipped in a good ball into the centre of the box which was met by the head of Robbie Dowie but his powerful header went just over the bar.

Fergie blasted into the side netting after receiving a ball from Lock who was controlling things in the midfield for the home side.

Spartans deservedly extended their lead in the 57th minute as they looked the better side from the interval when Murphy played the ball inside to Lock who then played a defence splitting pass to Fergie in the box who dispatched a very composed finish to give his side some real breathing space.

Spartans were not sitting on their laurels and Fergie showed great control again for a big man and found Marshall with a long diagonal ball who controlled the ball well with his chest and unleashed a fierce drive which Smith could only palm clear.

Salvesen had a half chance when from 20 yards Cameron McPhilips spin and shot was saved by Wieruszewski and this was then followed up by a even better chance but Craig Berry saw his well driven shot just go inches wide of the right hand post.

The home side were in control of the game and were playing nice football and it was Falsone who had the next chance but he shot wide of the target.

The visitors did venture forward when they could and won a couple of corners but could not take advantage with one corner played to long and the other easily cleared.

Both teams made a few subs hoping this might give them something new and it was Robertson who was reintroduced for Salvesen who came close but Wieruszewski got down well to smother his shot. Wieruszewski then had to be alert after McPhillips shot went through a lot of bodies in the box but the home keeper kept his eye on the ball.

Love then picked up the ball on the left and drove into the box and blasted his shot into the side netting when he probably should have cut it back for a team mate. 

Douglas was having his own personnel battle with Robertson but again the Spartans centre back came out on top again and cleared the danger.

Salvesen made another couple of subs and it was one of the players introduced that got the visitors back into the game in the 80th minute. A ball played out to the left was played back into the box and after a bit of a scramble the ball found its way across the goal and Alex McNeill prodded the ball home from two yards out to give his team a life line with 10 minutes left in the tie.

Salvesen got a huge lift from the goal and they only had one thing on their minds and that was to get back on level terms and Spartans had Wieruszewski to thank when he claimed the ball at full stretch from a cross with the Salvesen player just behind him ready to head home.

The visitors then had their keeper to thank after he produced a great save to put Love's super strike wide for a corner, the resulting corner was played too long and went out harmlessly.

Things started to get a bit niggly and a few rash tackles were being given out but the ref had a word to clam things down.

Spartans were caught between holding what they had or pushing forward but they were sitting deeper and deeper and this invited Salvesen onto them and another free kick conceded and with time running out this gave the visitors an opportunity to get the ball into the box . The ball was played in by Cameron Moir which was met by Max Condie but Wieruszewski tipped his effort over the bar for a corner.

The resulting corner was played in and Dowie could not believe his misfortune when his well directed downward header came of the base of the right hand post and when the ball was played back in Aiden Smith calmly played the ball back into his keepers arms from four yards out.

Salvesen must have realized it was not going to be their day when in the last minute McNeill should have taken this cup tie into extra time but he somehow managed to head over the bar from a yard out.

The only booking in the game arrived in the 90th minute when Salvesens McPhilips found himself in the refs book.

Into added on time and Salvesen were throwing everyone forward and with doing this you are always susceptible to the counter attack and this is exactly what happened as Spartans caught the visitors on the counter and Arran Lovell put the game to bed when he blasted home from the right side of the box.

Spartans had the last say when Fergie blasted over the bar with the final kick off the ball.

A enthralling cup tie with the better team on the day moving into the next round.

Spartans FC Youth face Newcraighall Leith Vics next in a Division 2 League game whilst Salvesen Cfc 97 face Hillfield Swifts in the David Murray Cup.

alvesen CFC 97 v Hillfield Swifts
Salvesen CFC 97 v Hillfield Swifts
Salvesen CFC 97 v Hillfield Swifts
  • Full Time:
  • Spartans FC Youth
  • 4-2
  • Salvesen CFC 97


Spartans FC Youth
Salvesen CFC 97
1. Tomasz Wieruszewski
3. Nick Faulkener
4. Adam Muir
6. Sam Murphy
7. Ryan Love<
8. Baillie McLean<
9. James Hamilton<
10. Mario Falsone<
11. Eoghann Douglas
12. Jordon Lock
15. Max Michie
16. Arran Lovell
17. Nick Marshall
18. Aiden Smith
19. Brad Fergie
20. Andrew Hannigan
1. Andrew Smith
2. Nicholas McConnell
3. Robbie Dowie
4. Daniel Mitchell
5. Cameron Moir
6. Craig Berry
7. Ryan Campbell
9. Ewan Waddell
10. Lewis Ross
11. Cameron McPhillips
12. Calum Jackson
14. Alex McNeill
15. John A Dunbar
16. Adam Robertson
17. Ben Leicester
18. Max Condie
Star Player
Spartans FC Youth
Salvesen CFC 97
This was not a easy decision but Tomasz Wieruszewski just gets the nod ahead of a couple of others as he came to the rescue of his team on numerous occasions with several top saves especially in the last 15 minutes to keep his team's noses in front.
Adam Robertson was a thorn in Spartan's side all game and how he never got on the score sheet was a miracle. A big strong lad who on another day could have had a few goals but showed other good attributes as a player that helped his team massively.
Magic Moment
Spartans FC Youth
Salvesen CFC 97
Nick Marshall's attempt at a bicycle kick.
Ben Leicester's last minute goal saving tackle in the box to deny Nick Marshall.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments