Home My YFS

Salvesen snow match for Hutchie

Salvesen CFC 96 2

Stevens 77, MacFarlane 88

Hutchison Vale 5

Burnside 26, Kerr 48, Grotlin 55, Williamson 73, Hutchison 89
  • Friday, 10 January 2014
  • Forrester High School 3G
  • Under 19´s
  • South East Region YFL - D1

Hutchison Vale started the day one place below today's opponents but moved above them in the league table after a 5-2 win.

A goal from Burnside in the first half was followed up with second half goals from Kerr, Grotlin, Williamson and Hutchison with Stevens and MacFarlane getting on the score sheet for the home side.

Salvesen got the game underway at a very chilly and windy Forrester High School and with the wind in their favour started the brighter. The opening five minutes saw Salvesen create a couple half chances when Sean Elliot shot over the bar and then did the same with a 20 yard free kick from the right hand side.

Elliot was involved again after Shaun Stevens played him in but he pulled his shot wide this time but nearly capitalized on a mistake by the visitor's only minutes later after Hutchie's Ryan Hutchison attempted clearance fell into his path but he lost his footing at the vital moment which allowed Hutchison to get back and clear the ball.

Elliot, who was causing problems for the Hutchie back line, drove in on goal down the right but with team mates looking for the ball into the box he went himself and blasted into the side netting.

The first real chance of the game came with 16 minutes gone and it was the home side who had a great opportunity to open the scoring after Bryan Pollock 18 yards out was given all the time in the world by Hutchie to pick his spot but fired straight at Scott Page in the visitors goal.

The first chance of the game was closely followed by the first corner of the game and again it was in the home sides favour. Elliot played in a corner to the far post which was met by Scott Johnston but he failed to make the right contact with his header and the ball went up in the air and he then put it out for a goal kick at the second attempt.

Hutchie nearly caught out McGinley in the home goal after Pollock played in a left sided free kick which looked to be harmlessly going over the bar until the wind held the ball up which then proceeded to come of the top of the bar much to Salvesen's relief.

It was Page in the Hutchie goal who was next called into action when Grant Aitken set up that man again Elliot who hit a ferocious strike which Page could only palm away.

Adam Murray played a super ball into the Salvy box and Craig Williamson went for the finish on the full volley but just failed to connect properly to score what would have been a spectacular goal which saw Johnston then clear at the back post for the home side.

Williamson then looked like he was opening the scoring for the visitors after his looping header seemed goal bound but the wind held the ball up and McGinley claimed comfortably.

Salvesen's Johnston picked up the first booking of the game in the 25th minute after giving away a free kick which would prove costly later in the game. The resulting free kick was played in by Robertson and after a scramble at the far post the ball fell to Devin Burnside who blasted home from close range on the 26th minute.

Hutchie had their tails up now and came close again after Dean Robertson played a delightful long ball into the path of Jonathan Grotlin but McGinley spread himself well to deflect the Hutchie mans low driven shot wide for a corner.

Salvesen had a couple of good opportunities to try and get back into the game with ten minutes remaining of the half. Stevens got into a good position but shot wide from 20 yards out in a central position then he followed up by blasting over the bar from a free kick.

Hutchison picked up their first yellow card after name sake Hutchison was booked for the challenge leading up to the free kick on 35 minutes.

William Kerr was next to test McGinley in the home goal who saved well but the rebound found Williamson and with the goal at his mercy he miss kicked his shot and the opportunity was gone.

Salvesen pushed forward looking for the equalizer and this led to Hutchie picking up their second caution of the game with a couple of minutes to go in the half after Robertson stupidly kicked the ball away after the home team were awarded a free kick.

  • Half Time:
  • Salvesen CFC 96
  • 0-1
  • Hutchison Vale

Hutchie got the second half restarted after the break and doubled their lead only three minutes from the kick off. Kerr found himself in on goal and with the two Salvesen defenders and keeper to beat he kept his cool and hit a low driven shot from outside the box.

Nice combination play between Burnside and Kerr saw Burnside force McGinley into a good stop.

The game changed in the 52nd minute when Johnston received his second yellow for a needless challenge and was dismissed leaving his team with ten men and theresulting free kick was taken by Burnside who saw his fine effort hit the bar.

McGinley pulled off a stunning save to tip Williamson's powerful shot over the bar for a corner, the resulting corner was played short and the ball was then cleared up field.

A fine move saw the visitor's increase their lead on the 55th minute after Burnside played the ball out to Williamson who showed great footwork to beat two Salvesen players and then cross the ball into the box for Grotlin to finish from eight yards out.

Salvesen looked to keep pushing forward and were nearly in behind the visitors rear guard after Aitken played in a delightful ball in behind but the ball ran through to the keeper.

Hutchie were happy to play the possession game and look to hit Salvesen on the break at every opportunity using the wind to their advantage.The visitors picked up another silly booking when Grotlin was shown yellow for kicking the ball out the park after conceding a free kick.

Sometimes you get bizarre goals in games and Hutchie nearly got one those when Kerr chased a ball in and McGinley saw his clearance crash off the Hutchie player and out for a throw in but it could have easily hit the back of the net.

Salvesen were trying hard to get back into the game and MacFarlane drove in from the right hand side but saw his shot blocked and then played the rebound across the face of goal but none of his team mates gambled and the ball went out.

It looked like the weather would hold but unfortunately the snow moved in and before long the white stuff was pelting down making visibility difficult.

This did not stop Hutchie pushing forward and Pollock received the ball on the right hand side and his cross come shot ended up in the back of the net to put Hutchie on easy street in the 73rd minute.

Salvesen were rewarded for their perseverance in the 77th minute after Elliot drove in from the right flank and forced Page into a great one handed save but Elliot latched onto the loose ball and played it low to MacFarlane on the edge of the box who finished well.

Hutchie felt aggrieved minutes later after Grotlin found himself in on goal but the referee deemed him off side when it looked like he had timed his run perfectly.

Salvesens Lowery found himself lucky to only receive a yellow card for his deliberate handball but Reece Henderson's effort from the free kick 20 yards out was not troublesome. 

Hutchison had a great opportunity to get their goal difference back after Grotlin missed a great chance to score when he put his shot straight at McGinley after Hutchison's shot came back of the post. Henderson then came close for the visitors but again the Salvesen keeper kept him at bay with a fine stop low down to his near post.

The weather was deteriorating by the second and players and touchlines were doing their best to keep warm.

Five minutes to go and Salvesen pushed forward and Lowery put a well driven shot just wide of the post then on the 88th minute they doubled their goal tally when MacFarlane lobbed Page in the Hutchie goal.

Hutchie did not take this lying down and with Salvesen pushing forward a ball played forward saw three Hutchie players in on goal. Hutchison picked the ball up and get a shot away which McGinley saved but Hutchison picked up the rebound and after tying the keeper in knots found space to slot the ball home in the final minute whilst his team mates watched.

The referee finally blew for full time much to everyone's relief, not because of the football but because of the snow blizzard.

  • Full Time:
  • Salvesen CFC 96
  • 2-5
  • Hutchison Vale


Salvesen CFC 96
Hutchison Vale

1. Ben Martin McGinley
2. Josh Urquart
3. BScott Ewen
4. Ryan Kenneth Mayer
5. Scott Johnston
8. Liam Ure
9. Bradley O'Donnell
10. Sean Elliot
11. Bryan Pollock
14. Sam Derek Shaw
15. Greg Lowery
16. Michael Forrest
17. Shaun Stevens
18. Grant David Aitken
19. Cameron MacFarlane

1. Scott Page
2. Adam Murray
3. Frankie John Bee
4. Adam Forrest
5. John Pearson
6. Dean Robertson
7. William Kerr
8. Rhys Surgeon
9. Jonathan Grotlin
10. Devon Burnside
11. Craig Williamson
12. Ryan Hutchison
14. Calum Livingston
15. Daniel Smith
16. Joseph Oluwatobi Wuya
17. Reece Henderson

Star Player
Salvesen CFC 96
Hutchison Vale
Salvesen's top man was Bryan Pollock who worked hard all day but also showed great leadership skills as he was always organising and encouraging his team mates.
Hutchison Vale's Craig Williamson was the stand out player for the visitor's. A great all round performance which saw him getting a goal, setting up goals, coming close with a couple of free kicks, terrorizing the opposition back line with his pace and trickery but also a player who did not shirk his defensive duties as he worked up and done the park all day.
Magic Moment
Salvesen CFC 96
Hutchison Vale
Greg Lowery's super goal saving tackle in the box in the second half.
The magic moment usually happens on the field of play but this goes to the group of subs who showed ingenuity to keep warm and dry from the heavy snow in the last twenty minutes of the game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments