Home My YFS

Cramond prevail at the expense of Currie

Currie FC 2

Tully 37, McGurk 47

Cramond FC 3

Uwandu 3, Manclark 5, McCartney 22
  • Sunday, 30 November 2014
  • Currie Youth Club
  • Under 14´s
  • Kenny McLean Cup
Chris Grieve

Chris Grieve | YFS South East Region Journalist

The 2nd round of the Kenny MacLean Cup saw Currie FC take on Cramond FC in a very closely contested tie. Cramond raced into a three goal lead only for Currie to reduce the deficit after half time but Cramond held on for the win.

The game kicked off and immediately it was Cramond who were on the attack. After some sustained pressure resulted in a corner they took the lead when Ben Uwandu swept in the cross at the near post.

Currie had almost no time to recover before they were two goals down. Mark McCartney curled a free kick over the wall only to see Jack Adams in the Currie goal save it low to his right. However, there was nothing he could do to stop Mark Manclark scoring from the follow up.

The second goal sparked Currie into life and they came very close to reducing the arrears. The ball broke to Kyle Hepplewhite who made a beeline for the Cramond goal and unleashed a powerful shot which beat Murray Brown in goal but unfortunately for Currie also beat the far post.

The match was opening up and Cramond responded with a chance of their own. The ball was played in behind excellently by Manclark for Paul Clarke who fired his shot across goal but just wide of the post.

It was end to end stuff now and Currie pushed forward in search of a goal to get back into the game. An excellent passing move in midfield allowed Robert Tully space to forage down the left wing but his pacey cross was well cut out by Brown in the Cramond goal.

You sensed that another goal was coming and it was Cramond who added to their tally. Another great ball through from Manclark released McCartney who nipped in in front of the keeper to prod the ball round him before rolling the ball into the net. A really well worked move and a composed finish.

Cramond were in control as the half time whistle went and looked good for their three goal lead. Currie showed that they were capable of causing problems but they had it all to do in the second half if they were to come out on top.

  • Half Time:
  • Currie FC
  • 0-3
  • Cramond FC

After the restart it was Currie who came out of the traps quickest. They created a good chance early in the second half when Hepplewhite played a deep cross to Alex Gilhooley who saw his shot saved at the near post by Brown.

Currie kept the pressure up and were duly awarded when the ball broke to Tully at the edge of the box. His powerful shot flew past the unsighted keeper and into the top corner. It was definitely a glimmer of hope for Currie at the start of the second half.

The goal gave Currie a great lift and they continued to press forward feeling that the comeback might be possible. Tully was in the mood for goals and was unlucky not to add to the one he already had with the following three chances. The first one was a blocked shot which fell to him at the edge of the box which slid by the far post before his two next shots were well saved (one of them one-handed) by Brown after cut backs from Hepplewhite.

Currie were well in the ascendancy now and they sensed they could get another goal. Daniel Shepherd was next to try and get on the scoresheet but his shot flew just over the bar after being played in by Reece McGurk.

Currie’s Isaac Mackie was catching the eye as the player controlling the midfield and he was next up to test Brown in the Cramond goal. His mazy run took him past three players before his eventual shot was held.

It was Tully who tried his luck again after some pinball in the Cramond box. Hepplewhite fired a shot towards goal which was blocked before being half cleared to Mackie. His shot was saved before the clearance ricocheted towards Tully who saw his shot blocked by Uwandu.

Eventually Currie did find a second goal and it came through McGurk. The ball was crossed into the box by Hepplewhite and McGurk rose the highest to loop a header over Brown. There were still 15 minutes to go and Currie were really beginning to believe they could complete the comeback.

Cramond did well to take some of the sting out of the waves of Currie attack by creating some possession of their own. They forced a succession of corners which temporarily relieved the pressure on the defence which can be as important as a goal, especially in a close cup tie.

As the final whistle approached Currie looked for that decisive equaliser and they created chances to grab it. McGurk had the final two attempts, the first with a header which dropped just over the bar and the second with a long range shot which was well saved by Brown.

A very exciting cup tie with plenty endeavour from both sides. Cramond controlled the first half and took a good lead into half time but credit to Currie who came back at them in the second half. Ultimately Currie were unlucky not to force extra time and it is Cramond who progress to the next round. 

  • Full Time:
  • Currie FC
  • 2-3
  • Cramond FC


Currie FC
Cramond FC
1. Jack Adams
2. Kieran Pattow
3. Ross McDermid
4. Max Charlston
5. Joseph Burns
6. Alex Gilhooley
7. Isaac Mackie
8. Lee Coleman
9. Chistopher Laidlaw
10. Cameron Buchan
11. Reece McGurk
12. Oliver Leavy
14. Liam Donaldson
15. Dillon Morris
16. Daniel Shepherd
17. Robert Tully
18. Kyle Hepplewhite
21. Daniel Erasmuson
1. Murray Brown
2. Cameron Forsyth
3. Benjamin Uwandu
5. Donald Livingstone
6. Paul Clarke
7. Jack Hannigan
8. Daniel Harrison
9. Joe Badger
11. Ollie Hunt
12. Mark McCartney
14. Mark Manclark
17. Jamie Smith
18. Frankie Kane
Star Player
Currie FC
Cramond FC
Isaac Mackie was at the heart of everything that the home side did. He controlled the midfield and started both moves which resulted in the goals for Currie.
Ben Uwandu was solid at centre back putting in several key tackles to break up promising attacks. Blocked a few shots and played an important role in securing the win for Cramond.
Magic Moment
Currie FC
Cramond FC
Getting a goal back quickly after half time was exactly what the home side needed. It gave them a way back into the match and gave them a huge lift!
Murray Brown had several saves in goal for Cramond but one save in particular was outstanding. A shot from around six yards was clawed away one-handed and was key in his sides win!
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments