Home My YFS

North Merchiston see off plucky Preston

Written by  North Merchiston


North Merchiston 2000
Preston Athletic YFC
Under 15's SERYF Leage Cup
23 November 2014
North Merchiston prevailed in a hard fought victory this afternoon against Preston Athletic at a sunny harrison park. 
North Merchistons number elven David Marshall broke the deadlock after a frustrating period for the hosts. When a short free kick found its way to Ali Bean on the opposing edge of the centre circle he played a through ball to the right hand side of Preston's penalty area the ball found Wayne Angus and drilled in a cross met by the right boot by David Marshall who coolly slotted home, 1-0. 
Unfortunately for the boys in black and white the lead did not last long. When the ball bounced up to Preston's centre midfielder from twenty five yards out, there was only one thing on his mind he released a verminous volley lobbing the Merchie keeper and sending his team mates into raptures. 
After alot of pressure from the visitors it was the hosts who got the next goal. A throw in in line with the edge of the penalty are was flicked on after a bit off pin ball in the box and with thanks to a deflection David Marshall got his second goal of the game, 2-1. 
After that North Merchsiton had the majority of the possession and it looked like they would take the lead into the half time break. But it wasn't to be. After a lack of communication from the North Merchiston defender and goalie the Preston striker ran in between and them and coolly slotting the ball home for their second equalizer of the game. 
But this half was not over yet after a delightful cross into the box from Merchiston captain Lewis Arundel Merchies number 9 Wayne Angus made an equally delicious run and finished the excellent move off with a textbook header into the bottom corner. 
Half Time : North Merchiston 3-2 Preston Athletic 
After half time it was North Merchiston who enjoyed all the pressure and pushed on for another goal to surely make the three points safe. And they were gifted a golden opportunity when new signing Ryan Palmer was lining up his shot then taken out by a Preston defender and with no hesitation the referee pointed to the spot, After a discussion about the taker David Marshall stepped up and what would be his hat-trick but unfortunately his penalty was well saved and the keeper made an even better save from the rebound. 
With the score at 3-2 Preston were pushing for an equalizer and it came down to dramatic last ditch tackles to keep them at bay. 
Then with the clock ticking North Merchiston went up the other end and after lovely dribbling from Lucas Laverty he selflessly played the ball to Wayne Angus who only had to hit it on target from yards out to get his second off the game. But to his horror he scuffed his shot and went narrowly wide but he wasn't going to get annoyed minutes later he picked the ball up from outside the box and let fly with a delicious volley that found itself in the top corner of the Preston goal, 4-2.
With the game coming to a close North Merchie wanted more when Lucas Laverty scored to get his first of the season and to take the three points.
Full Time : North Merchiston 5-2 Preston Athletic
Login to post comments