Home My YFS

Buddies breeze by Bairns to book berth in 4th round

Falkirk FC 1

Hogg 7'

St. Mirren FC 3

Brown 8' Shepherd (OG) 31', McLeary 58'
  • Tuesday, 04 February 2014
  • The Falkirk Stadium
  • Under 20´s
  • Scottish FA Youth Cup

James Black | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Falkirk took on St. Mirren in the 3rd round of the Scottish FA Youth Cup in front of a decent crowd at The Falkirk Stadium. The Bairns defeated local rivals Stirling Albion and Airdrieonians to get to this stage while the Buddies are playing their first game of this seasons competition.
Both sides were in action in midweek in the SPFL Development league with Falkirk falling 4-3 to Partick Thistle and St. Mirren managing a 2-2 draw at home to Hibernian.
St. Mirren had the first real chance. A corner on the right hand side eluded everyone and fell nicely at the back post but the resulting shot was cleared off the line by Falkirk's Micael Martin.
Mark Finlayson then found himself in space 30 yards out from the Saints goal but his long shot just fizzed over Dan Wilks' crossbar.
Falkirk opened the scoring after 7 minutes when a cross from Finlayson saw Wilks challenged in the box. The Buddies keeper couldn't hold it and spilled it to Connor Hogg who fired home.
St. Mirren went straight up the park and equalised. A quick counter and some nice play wide left ended with Falkirk keeper Gregor Amos beaten by Adam Brown from a few yards out after a low cross from Lewis Morgan.
The first half then progressed in a very end to end fashion with neither side carving out any real clear cut chances.
A delightful through ball from Adam Brown sent McDonald one on one with Falkirk keeper Amos but the near side linesman's flag denied St. Mirren a second goal.
Saints though took the lead in the 31st minute when a corner from the left hand side was headed towards goal and eventually turned into his own net by Scott Shepherd.
Falkirk won a penalty after Thomas Grant was brought down by Mark Williams just inside the 18 yard box but Liam Rowan's spot kick was stopped well by Wilks in the Buddies goal.
  • Half Time:
  • Falkirk FC
  • 1-2
  • St. Mirren FC
The second half began brightly but was halted after what looked to be a severe injury to Falkirks Cameron Blues. The midfielder was stretchered from the pitch after an innocuous challenge. Lewis Small replaced him in the Bairns midfield.
Some crazy defending by Robbie McNab almost gave Saints a third but Martin was quick to react to the danger and cleared the ball to safety.
Saints looked to have sealed their place in the next round when Lewis McLeary headed home in the 58th minute from a delightful cross from Morgan which found the centre forward unmarked in loads of space to fire his header beyond he helpless Amos.
Falkirk pushed on looking to get themselves back into the tie and Botti Biabi was unlucky to see his header cleared off the line by Darren Whyte in the 70th minute.
The second half was played in a very similar vein to the first with both side struggling to create any real chances of note and the game getting somewhat bogged down in the middle of the park.
The hosts almost grabbed a late consolation when substitute Kyle Johnson crashed an effort against the bar.
  • Full Time:
  • Falkirk FC
  • 1-3
  • St. Mirren FC


Falkirk FC
St. Mirren FC

1. Gregor Amos
2. Mark Finlayson
3. Tony Gallacher
4. Robbie McNab
5. Liam Rowan
6. Michael Martin
7. Connor Hogg
8. Cameron Blues
9. Scott Shepherd
10. Botti Biabi
11. Thomas Grant
12. Michael Fairbanks
14. Lewis Small
15. Kyle Johnson
16. Grant Hamilton
17.Kevin O'Hara

1. Dan Wilks
2. Darren Whyte
3. Jordan Stewart
4. Mark Williams
5. Mark Barrowman
6. Jack Bird
7. Adam Brown
8. Stevie Mallan
9. Danny McDonald
10. Lewis McLear
11. Lewis Morgan
12. Connor O'Keefe
14. Robbie Mitchell
15. Josh Beattie
16. Liam McLaughlin
20. Mark Foden

Star Player
Falkirk FC
St. Mirren FC
Connor Hogg. Opened the scoring for his side and constantly made himself available.
Danny McDonald was unlucky not to add his name to the scoresheet but worked had for his team throughout and was a constant problem for the Falkirk defence
Magic Moment
Falkirk FC
St. Mirren FC
In a day where there wasn't much to cheer about, Connor Hogg's opener was one of few bright spots for the Bairns.
The immediate equaliser by Adam Brown put Saints on the path to victory and looked to knock the wo=ind from Falkirk's sails.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments