Home My YFS

Late, late drama as Redhall and Livingston share the spoils

Redhall Star YFC 3

Palmer 50' McEwen 55' (OG) Donachie 86'

Livingston FCBC 3

Shanks 5' Murray 42' Charles 77'
  • Sunday, 19 October 2014
  • Redhall Park
  • Under 15´s
  • League
A windswept Redhall Park produced a game that saw both teams, despite the horrible conditions, give a battling performance to claim a share of the points.
The opening minutes of this match saw both teams create good chances. Firstly Redhall Star from a corner and Livingston FCBC from a shot narrowly going wide of the back post.
Livingston had the strong wind in their favor in the first half and a long pass found Fraser Paterson out wide right. He played the ball in for Michael Shanks to open the scoring with five minutes played.
Redhall were next to threaten when Ryan Palmer won a corner. The resulting ball in found its way back to Palmer who hit a fine shot across goal but Deryn Russell cleared for Livingston.
Shanks was unlucky not possibly double his sides advantage when it looked like he had timed his run perfectly. But he was judged offside and he would have been one on one with Green in the Redhall goal. Ten minutes in and this match was being played at a hectic pace as both teams fought for supremacy.
A Redhall corner saw a great ball played in by Adam Shortiss. It was met by Robertson, who saw his effort hit the post.
Livingston should have doubled their lead in the twentieth minute. Darragh Hunt found himself free at the back post but failed to hit the target with his effort. A chance gone a begging for the visitors.
Livingston showed the power of the wind and the advantage it could when their midfielder hit a sweet strike from the half way line leaving Green's finger stinging after he tipped it over the bar. 
Redhall, despite the disadvantage of the win, had the next opportunity from a free kick twenty yards out on the left. Samuel Donachie was unlucky just to see his header go over the bar after a floated ball in from Shortiss. The impressive Shortiss was involved again as his pass was beatifully controlled by Blair Salvona. He whipped in a ball right across the face of goal which seemingly caught the Redhall players unaware, squandering a great chance to get on level terms.
Livingston were turning up the heat in the closing minutes of the half with both Matt Crosbie and Paul Campbell testing Green in the Redhall goal.
It looked like Redhall would go into half time one goal behind despite the intense pressure. But added on time saw Livingston double their lead when poor defending from the home side allowed Brandon Murray all the time and space he wanted in the box to pick his spot.
  • Half Time:
  • Redhall Star YFC
  • 0-2
  • Livingston FCBC
Redhall got the second half underway and with the wind in their favour, a two goal deficit perhaps didn't seem like such a mountain to climb.
Livingston should have seen their lead reduced when Taylor played in a lovely ball which was met by Shortiss who put the ball over the bar from two yards. A real let off for Livingston.
Ross Graham was starting to control the midfield and it was all Redhall now as they adopted their tactics to suit the high winds.
Redhall finally got their reward for the effort in the 50th minute when after a bit of ping pong at the edge of the box, the ball fell nicely for Ryan Palmer who ran onto the loose ball and calmly slipped it past the out rushing Cameron McEwen.
The game was now all about the next goal and Redhall looked the more likely at this stage to claim it at this stage. The wind assisted balls from the back were causing Livingstone all sorts of problems and this led to several corners in Redhall's favour.
Redhall eventually capatlised. A great whipped in corner with lots pace saw several Redhall players challenge McEwen for the ball with it eventually going under the crossbar and into the net.
Redhall continued to press and nearly took the lead in the 58th minute when from another corner kick they hit the bar. It was all hands to the pump for Livingston now.
Paterson for Livingston was becoming a one man show up front and after receiving a pass showed great footwork to make space to get his shot away. However, Green again thwarted him in the Redhall goal.
The game really came to life when a long ball from the back from the Livingston defender saw Kyle Charles pick up possession and drive into the box. It looked like the chance had gone until he was unceremoniously chopped down by Robertson for a stonewall penalty with three minutes to go. Charles picked himself up and dispatched a cracking penalty into the right had corner leaving Green with no chance.
Only minutes left in normal time Livingston were happy to defend their lead and let Redhall come at the in waves.
Livingston were praying for the final whistle and must have thought they had done enough to secure the three points but the referee still had time to add on and this was to prove decisive in the outcome of this match. 
After a silly foul saw Redhall awarded a free kick just left of center of the goal right on the eighteen yard line. The park fell silent as Donachie stepped up to take the free kick with six minutes into added on time. A small gap appeared to the right hand side of the Livingston wall and Donachie found it with a fierce free kick to see the ball hit the back of the Livingston net.
A great advert for youth football and with all said and done it was definitely the correct outcome as both teams deserved to take something from the match.
  • Full Time:
  • Redhall Star YFC
  • 3-3
  • Livingston FCBC


Redhall Star YFC
Livingston FCBC
1. Ryan Green
2. Lewis Blues
3. Jack Passmore
4. Rory Taylor
5. Nathan Robertson
6. Ross Graham
7. Adam Shortiss
8. Robbie Campbell
9. Samuel Donachie
10. Ryan Palmer
11. Blair Salvona
12. Joe Turner
14. Thomas Robertson
15. Paul Crowley
4. Deryn Russell
6. Paul Campbell
7. Matt Crosbie
11.Ross Dale
14. Lewis Armstrong-McGowan
22. Brandon Murray
26. Jack Forbes
27. Darragh Hunt
72. Cameron McEwen
77. Kyle Charles
88. Michael Shanks
99. Fraser Patterson
Star Player
Redhall Star YFC
Livingston FCBC
Adam Shortiss was involved all game and his balls in from corners and wide areas where fantastic.
Fraser Paterson worked hard all game especially in the second half and was very unlucky not to get on the score sheet.
Magic Moment
Redhall Star YFC
Livingston FCBC
Ryan Palmer gets this as he kept his composure to slot away his goal to get Redhall back into the game.
Cameron McEwen save from Rory Taylor's wind assisted long range effort which he tipped round the post.
Club Views
Redhall Star YFC
Livingston FCBC
Jimmy, coach of Redhall Star YFC, said: "The wind ruined the game but happy taking a point."
Stephen, coach of Livingston FCBC, said: "Certainly was a game of two half's and the draw was the fair result. Both teams deserve credit for the football they played in these conditions."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments