Home My YFS

10-man Whitehill U20s see off Edinburgh City to progress in the Scottish FA Youth Cup

Edinburgh City 1


Whitehill Welfare 4

McKinlay (2), Jardine, Own Goal
  • Sunday, 28 September 2014
  • Meadowbank Stadium
  • Under 20´s
  • Scottish FA Youth Cup - R1
Whitehill Welfare U20s ran out comfortable 1-4 winners away to Edinburgh City advancing into the 3rd round of the Scottish Youth Cup on an immaculate Meadowbank pitch. 
It was a fiery beginning to the match with both teams showing a very physical presence and attempting to establish themselves in the game immediately. This however, led to a frantic start before each group of players settled. 
The visitors were first to show a glimpse of their capabilities when captain David Scobie picked out Daniel McKinlay perfectly wide on the right, the whipped cross resulting in nothing more than an early indication of danger as it was comfortably cleared. 
At the other end, Edinburgh City showed where they hoped to get most joy as Robbie Ewing fed through the impressive Stuart Donaldson on the right wing. Donaldson looped a cross in with the hope of reaching Mikey Hamilton but the commanding opposition goalkeeper, Christopher Malcolm collected out the air, causing an early injury scare to Hamilton. The Edinburgh City man stayed on though. 
As the game reached the quarter hour mark, Whitehill were becoming more dominant imposing real threat on the City goal with the trio of McKinlay, Ross Harris and Jack Jardine combining regularly. 
It was Declan Heron to threaten the City goal next as the winger was played in on the left hand side but the ball ran away from him and was smothered by Ewan Robertson in goal. 
A couple of minutes later, there was nearly a breakthrough with Heron’s back post corner reaching a high rising Johnny Scott-Mercer to head towards goal. His effort cleared off the line as City captain Chris Kirkwood saved his side from going behind. 
The few spectators in the empty stands of Meadowbank Stadium were treated to a goal soon after and it had definitely been coming for Whitehill. 
In the heart of midfield, Harris found space, as he had done all afternoon, picking out pacey McKinlay making a run across the centre of defence. The winger collected further rounding the keeper and coolly slotting home to put the visitors one up. 
Constant crosses from City still remained the most effective outlet but they lacked a predator in the box to finish it off as time after time the ball was fizzed across the six yard box. 
Whitehill were eager and pressing for a second with both James Flynn and McKinlay coming close with two very different attempts but nearly equally as clinical. 
It was 2-0 with around ten minutes before half-time as Jardine cannoned an emphatic penalty off the bar and in after good work from McKinlay to win it. 
Some excellent football was on show so far.
  • Half Time:
  • Edinburgh City
  • 0-2
  • Whitehill Welfare
City manager Graeme Higgins must have gotten through to his players during the break as they came out for the second half looking rejuvenated and full of belief. 
A bout of pressure led to a small scramble in the Whitehill box before Ewing’s left-footed shot was denied a goal by a goal line clearance courtesy of Jardine. City looked the better side now as the tables had turned. 
The game came to life as City were rewarded for their hard work with a goal from Mark Osborne 55 minutes in. A fierce Luke McDowell free-kick was fumbled by the goalkeeper presenting Greg Powrie with a second chance but Malcolm saved from close range before Osborne finished it off at the third time of asking. 
As cramp set in for some City players, an indicator of the hard work they had put in to pull themselves back, Whitehill hit back with a quick fire goal to make it three. Jardine scoring his second of the game from close range following a cross from Scobie. The big midfielder had been the metronome throughout the second half for the away side and now he had potentially put the tie out of sight. 
With twenty minutes to go, impressive McKinlay received a straight red card for a late tackle which handed City a lifeline. The decision seemed harsh and would have appeared punishable by a yellow card. 
Edinburgh City attempted a late comeback surge but failed to create any real clear cut chances. The game was put to bed when Matthew Sampson sent a tricky to defend cross into the six yard box and the City defender turned it into his own net. 
The game was an excellent advert for football in Scotland with an abundance of talent on show from both sides. Edinburgh City’s tenacity in defence was admirable but couldn’t prove enough to keep out the attacking talents of the Whitehill front-line. 
  • Full Time:
  • Edinburgh City
  • 1-4
  • Whitehill Welfare


Edinburgh City
Whitehill Welfare
1. Christopher Malcolm
2. Matthew Sampson
3. Andrew Swinney
4. Jack Jardine
5. Craig Robertson
6. David Scobie
7. Ross Harris
8. Johnny Scott-Mercer
9. James Flynn
10. Daniel McKinlay
11. Declan Heron
14. Liam Murrin
16. Dillan Stark
17. Liam McKay
18. Andrew Thomson
19. Lewis Bell
1. Euan Robertson
2. Stuart Donaldson
3. Greg Powrie
4. Max Verkaik
5. Euan Terry
6. Chris Kirkwood
7. Kieran McGraw
8. Mark Osborne
9. Robbie Ewing
10. Mikey Hamilton
11. Luke McDowell
12. Sean Morrison
13. Craig Moffat
14. Jonathan Whiteman
15. Peter Caryel
16. Christopher McDonald
Star Player
Edinburgh City
Whitehill Welfare
Chris Kirkwood worked tirelessly, box to box.
Jack Jardine was in excellent form for Whitehill.
Magic Moment
Edinburgh City
Whitehill Welfare
Osborne's goal gave City a route back into the tie.
Whitehill's opener through McKinlay was a composed finish after good build up play.
Club Views
Edinburgh City
Whitehill Welfare
Edinburgh City manager, Graeme Higgins said ‘the lads gave a lot’ but was gracious in defeat insisting ‘the better team won on the day.’
The Whitehill Welfare coach said ‘we couldn’t have asked for much more from the boys’ and branded the performance as ‘a great team effort.’
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments