Home My YFS

Scotia FC take their chances to secure three points

Written by 
Edinburgh United
Scotia FC
U14's South East Region YFL
Patie's Road
17 September 2014
Edinburgh United must have left the field wondering how they did not take anything from this encounter after dominating the majority of this match.
Scotia FC got the game underway at a chilly Patie’s Road but it was Edinburgh United who started the brighter team in this match and were first to test their opposition keeper. Young picking the ball up in midfield drove towards goal and let a rather timid shot go from about 18 yards which Mcleod in the Scotia goal dealt with comfortably.
It was Young again for Edinburgh United who came close to opening the scoring when he ran onto a through ball played into the box but Mcleod spread himself well to deny him the opener.
Scotia got their first shot on target on the 12th minute with Walker shooting from 12 yards which Duffy in the Edinburgh goal took with ease.
Edinburgh United’s pressure paid off when Elgie stepped in on a defensive mix-up and blasted home from two yards to give United a deserved lead in the 13th minute.
Edinburgh United were certainly on top at this stage and came close to doubling their lead through the goal scorer Elgie, but his shot could only find the side netting.
Edinburgh United were restricting Scotia to shots from distance but this nearly worked against them. Gallagher showed good footwork then released a ferocious shot from about 20 yards which rattled the post and was very unlucky not to draw Scotia level with seven minutes to go in the half.
This gave Scotia the belief they needed and after a huge kick up field from Mcleod, Gallagher latched onto the long ball and forced Duffy into a good save. From the resulting corner, Edinburgh played in a low cross which evaded both the Edinburgh United defenders and Scotia players in front of goal. However, Doig unmarked at the far post was left with a tap in to draw Scotia level with four minutes to go.
Scotia had the momentum and went looking for a second which came right on the stroke of half time. Walker played a lovely little ball into Gallagher just inside the box and he finished with a high shot into the left hand corner to give Scotia an unexpected lead at half time.
Half Time: Edinburgh United 1-2 Scotia FC
Edinburgh United made one change at half time but Scotia kept the same eleven on the park that finished the first half so strongly. Walker who had impressed for Scotia was the first to have a strike of any note in the second half but saw his shot go high and wide.
Edinburgh were playing some nice passing football and their front two were causing Scotia all sorts of problems. Young in particular found himself through on goal but was thwarted by a good challenge from the Scotia centre back.
Edinburgh were now turning up the pressure and created several good chances but just could not find the back of the opposition net. Ferrier of Edinburgh United found him self all alone from about 20 yards out and with space to drive into in front of him he chose to shoot early which never worried Mcleod in goal.
Scotia on one of their few ventures into the Edinburgh half saw them win a free kick 30 yards out. Walker stepped up and played in a lovely floated ball towards the back post which no one attacked and went out harmlessly.
The ever impressive Young had a great chance in the 63rd min to level it for Edinburgh United but unfortunately the ball just would not come down for him to get his shot away and the Scotia defence cleared.
Like in the first half, the last ten minutes of the half was to see a complete turn around in fortune.
After the unrelenting pressure on the Scotia goal, it was Scotia who would get the next goal. With ten minutes to go Bowie slipped a shot under the body of Duffy to knock the stuffing out of an Edinburgh United side who had thrown everything at them to try and get back into the game.
Clarkson through on goal and one on one with the keeper could have put the game to bed for Scotia with four minutes remaining but a fine save from Duffy denied him.
With minutes remaining though Scotia went on the charge again and a fine strike saw the ball well saved by Duffy. The Edinburgh United keeper was very unlucky to see the ball spin up over his body and a very alert Anderson will probably not get an easier goal all season and tapped in from two yards.
Full Time: Edinburgh United 1-4 Scotia FC
Login to post comments