Home My YFS

Never say die Tynie beat Hutchie to lift South East Cup

Hutchison Vale 4

Hunter (2), Polson, Conway

Tynecastle FC 4

Rose, McCorie, Kilboy, Dawson
  • Full Time: Hutchison Vale 4-4 Tynecastle FC (Tynecastle win 4-3 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 01 June 2014
  • New Countess Park, Dunbar
  • Under 13´s
  • South East Region Cup - Final
Following Hutchison Vale's triumph over Tynecastle in the Under 14 final, the same two teams took the stage again at the Under 15 age group. A stunning game of football was settled by penalty kicks, with Tynecastle holding their nerve to lift the South East Region cup. The teams had been tied at 4-4 following extra time.
The match began at a high tempo and it wasn't long before the opening goal. A foul was committed inside the Tynecastle penalty box and Kyle Hunter went for power over placement, smashing the ball straight down the centre to put Hutchie a goal to the good.
Tynecastle didn't dwell on the early set back and set off in search of an equaliser. The boys in maroon were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box after a lungbursting run forward by Deschamp McDelling, who was causing constant problems for the Hutchie defence. Skipper Murray Rose had previous for cup final free kick heroics, having netted in a recent final against Spartans and Tynecastle stadium. He stepped up and fired the ball over the wall and into the far left corner of the net.
Tynie could have taken the lead on the half hour mark. Robbie McPherson made a strong run down the right hand side and crossed the ball towards McDelling who had a chance for a free header. However, the header bounced into the ground and didn't pose a problem for Hutchie keeper Patrick Martin.
With the interval approaching, Vale began to make more inroads into the game they themselves could have taken the lead. Hunter could have added to his earlier goal, but couldn't find the target from the edge of the box.
  • Half Time:
  • Hutchison Vale
  • 1-1
  • Tynecastle FC
At the break it was anyone's game, however whatever was said to Hutchie at half time worked a treat, as they seemingly floored their opponents with two early goals.
Robbie Polson grabbed the first. He emulated Rose's strike from earlier, with a free kick blasted through the wall and beyond Fraser Briton in the Tynecastle goal. It was a thunderbolt.
The lead was soon doubled after a fantastic run by full back Murray Young lead to an inviting ball into the box. Hunyer was on hand to glance a header past Briton.
Vale had a couple of half chances to extend their lead yet further. At this point they looked in control, but only a fool would rule out a Tynecastle team who have ground out results in big matches time and again.
In the 65th minute the deficit was reducted. Defender Bruce McCorie made a late run and smashed a half volley into the Vale net, from an inviting corner kick that Hutchie couldn't clear.
The minutes ticked by and although Tynecastle pressed, it looked like Hutchison Vale had done enough to hold out and secure the cup. However, in stoppage time that all changed. Liam Willis picked out Jay Kilboy, who powered a header in, to the jubilation of an ecstatic Tynecastle team and support. 
The referee's whistle blew minutes later and extra time was on the way.
  • Full Time:
  • Hutchison Vale
  • 3-3
  • Tynecastle FC

Tynecastle's tails were up and it was no surprise that they drew first blood in extra time. The prolific Cameron Dawson headed home, to put his side within touching distance of a memorable comeback.

However, the twists and turns weren't finished there. After the frustration of a disallowed goal, the equaliser did come and came through the hair of Blair Conway.

The sides couldn't be separated and this epic tie went to penalties. Fraser Briton saved Hutchie's first spot kick, but Patrick Martin also pulled off a save, to send the shoot-out to what was effectively sudden death.

Hutchie's fifth effort missed the target and Kilboy was given the opportunity to win his team the match and the cup. He didn't disappoint, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way and rushing off to celebrate with the fans.

You can only congratulate both sets of players for what they put into the match. However, the spirit of Tynecastle came through in the end and it was them who added to this season's trophy haul.

Final Result: Full Time: Hutchison Vale 4-4 Tynecastle FC (Tynecastle win 4-3 on penalties)


Hutchison Vale
Tynecastle FC
1. Patrick Martin
2. Owen Richardson
3. Murray Young
4. Euan McGuire
5. Struan Robb
6. Harry Pullar
7. Robbie Polson
8. Calum Watson
9. Blair Conway
10. Kyle Hunter
11. Matthew Downie
15. Jamie MacKay
16. William Linton
17. Jack Murray
19. Ross Waters
1. Fraser Briton
2. Brok Robertson
3. Bruce McCorie
4. Ben Voy
5. Christopher Murchison
6. Murray Rose
7. Jay Kilboy
8. Liam Willis
9. Cameron Dawson
10. Deschamp McDelling
11. Murray Hand
12. Robbie McPherson
14. Cameron Lidell
15. Lewis McKay
16. Liam McCabe
17. Tod Rowell
18. Liam Turner
19. Jack Stewart
Star Player
Hutchison Vale
Tynecastle FC
Robbie Polson had a great game for Hutchie. He looked to cause problems for the Tynie defence all day and looked sharp on the ball. His performance was rounded off with a goal.
Murray Rose gave a real captain’s performance for Tynie and made sure they kept on fighting in the game despite going two goals behind.
Magic Moment
Hutchison Vale
Tynecastle FC
Blair Conway brought the game back to 4-4 in extra time with a well worked attack by Hutchie providing yet more entertainment for all those in attendance.
Jay Kilboy’s last minute header was the final kick of the 90 minutes and provided more drama in what was a highly entertaining encounter.
Club Views
Hutchison Vale
Tynecastle FC
Interview to follow.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments