Home My YFS

Leith are two good for Tynie in South East final

Leith Athletic 2

Murray (2)

Tynecastle FC 0

  • Saturday, 31 May 2014
  • New Countess Park, Dunbar
  • Under 21´s
  • South East Region Cup
Chris Martin

Chris Martin | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Leith Athletic 21s cruised to a comfortable victory against Tynecastle FC 21s in the final of the South East Region Youth Cup.
On paper the sides looked to be evenly matched, but on the day there was nothing even about this one as Leith ran out 2-0 winners.
Tynie started the brighter in the game and put some early pressure on to test Leith’s resolve. In the tenth minute Joshua Rogers received the ball on the right hand side of the box before hitting a strike across goal. It crept inches wide with Leith goalkeeper Kyle Rankin at full stretch.
They went close again shortly after when Fergus Lockhart fancied his chance from the edge of the box. His shot was too powerful though and flew over the bar to the relief of Rankin.
This seemed to waken up Leith who had started slowly and they began to make their mark on the game in the following ten minutes with two chances in quick succession.
Firstly Steven Froude received a fantastic low and powerful cross 6 yards from goal but couldn’t direct the ball in. It was a difficult chance as he had to contend with a last minute awkward bounce as the ball came to him.
Sean MacPherson then had a fantastic opportunity when a corner fell to him in the box. He hit a brilliantly executed half-volley on goal but the ball cannoned off the crossbar. It deserved a goal but at least Leith were finally making their mark in the match and had started to control proceedings.
  • Half Time:
  • Leith Athletic
  • 0-0
  • Tynecastle FC
Just after the break Leith made their possession count as went ahead. Forward Murray got on the end of a through ball and one on one with the keeper slotted home to the jubilation of his teammates.
As the game progressed Leith continued to dominate the game, with resilient defending and quick free-flowing attacking football. This meant Tynie were restricted to long-range efforts on goal, none of which were going to trouble Rankin.
Leith’s Liam O’Donnell was creating all sorts of problems down the left hand side and put in Smith who looked certain to grab his second if it wasn’t for a great fingertip save from Diamond.
Then just before the end of the 90 minutes Murray grabbed a deserved goal to put the game beyond doubt and put Leith two ahead.
It was a ball played back into the box following a corner and Murray was on hand at the far post to slot past the goalkeeper.
It had been a top draw performance from Leith who didn’t put a foot wrong all day both defensively and going forward. Tynecastle on their day are more than capable of putting in such a performance but it just wasn’t to be for them on this occasion.
  • Full Time:
  • Leith Athletic
  • 2-0
  • Tynecastle FC


Leith Athletic
Tynecastle FC
1. Kyle Rankin
3. Connor Pont
4. Ross Nisbet
5. Bobe Boyd
6. Adam Hunter
7. Liam O’Donnell
8. Liam Smith
9. Keith Murray
10. Steven Froude
11. Sean MacPherson
13. Connor Kirkland
14. Todd Smith
16. Euan Morrice
20. Stephen Baigan

1. Sean Diamond
2. Christopher Joyce
3. Greig Jardine
4. Stephen Lee
5. Scott Coleman
6. Dean Crabbe
7. Daniel Gemmell
8. Fergus Lockhart
9. Euan Rodgers
10. Joshua Rodgers
11. Saul Schulz-Keith
12. Craig Sutherland
13. Kevin Airlie
14. Elliott Lister
15. Ross MacNaughton
16. Lewis Hawkins
17. Jordan Dunsmore
18. Gavin Sullivan
19. Corey Gilmour
20. Ryan Williamson

Star Player
Leith Athletic
Tynecastle FC
Liam O’Donnell was a constant threat on the left hand side, he was skillful, pacy and didn't give his opposite number an easy day.
Dean Crabbe never gave up for Tynie despite the odds being against them in the game. He constantly fought to win the ball and looked to create an opening for his teammates.
Magic Moment
Leith Athletic
Tynecastle FC
Leith's Steven Froude executed a brilliant half volley in the first half which cannoned off the bar. It was an effort worthy of a goal.
Tynie's goalkeeper Sean Diamond pulled off a great save in the second half to deny Smith his second goal of the game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments