Home My YFS

Tynie stun Hutchie to claim trophy

Hutchison Vale 1

McAlpine 69

Tynecastle FC 2

Sinclair 77, 96
  • Final Result: Hutchison Vale 1-2 Tynecastle (AET)
  • Friday, 16 May 2014
  • Saughton Enclosure
  • Under 16´s
  • Evening News D1 League Cup - Final
Kieran Green

Kieran Green | YFS South East Region Journalist

A warm sunny evening at Saughton Enclosure was the host to the Evening News Under 16's Division 1 League Cup final between Hutchison Vale and Tynecastle. After a dismal first half, Hutchie took the lead with just over 10 minutes of the match remaining through Cameron McAlpine. However, with less than 5 minutes to go, Bradley Sinclair got on the end of a poor punch out from Hutchie keeper Byron Gibb to level the scores. Late, late into extra time, Sinclair squeezed between the Huctchie centre halves to run clear and slot the ball across Gibb to give Tynie the victory.
The first chance of the match fell to Tynie, and it was Sinclair who got on the end of Sonny Swanson's through ball. The frontman just overran the ball allowing Byron Gibb to slide out to block the goalbound effort.
Hutchie responded straight away with an attack of their own, and Sam Birch was allowed to run across the pitch, in order to spread the ball wide to left back Lewis Swaney. His first time cross to Gabri Auriemma at the back post was inch perfect as Tynecastle's Daryl Henderson missed the header. Auriemma's first touch was superb, and his toe poked effort towards goal beat Kieren Ross, but the covering Daniel Matthews was on hand to block the ball on the line, and prevent Hutchie from opening the scoring. A superb piece of defending from the commanding centre half. 
Tynie set pieces were proving difficult for Hutchie to deal with. The latest from Daniel Headspeath wide on the left was towards Sinclair. His first touch to turn Cameron Begbie was exquisite, 1 on 1 with Gibb, but dragged his shot wide.
Once again, a Headspeath free kick was won by a Tynie player in the box, Aaron Nugent this time. His knockdown fell to Kacper Korpalksi, but the defenders volley was wide of the post. Tynie knocking on the door.
Hutchie's Kieren Young's run through the middle of the pitch concluded with an effort on goal 20 yards out, which was parried by Ross into the path of Stewart Johnston, but the winger couldn't find the right ball across the box and was cleared by Matthews.
Hutchie were beginning to get a foothold in the match, and the latest in a sequence of Auriemma corners was spilled by Ross, producing an old fashioned mass goalmouth "stramash" with plenty of players attacking the ball with all parts of their body, before Cal Sheridan looked to have found space to head the ball in, but Matthews through his leg infront of it to divert the ball over the bar to keep the scoreline level.
There were no more chances in the first half, but Tynie were forced to take off set piece specialist Headspeath as he was perhaps over committed in his tackles, and was on a yellow card when Tynie made the sub. 
  • Half Time:
  • Hutchison Vale
  • 0-0
  • Tynecastle FC
The first chance of the second half was a Hutchie free kick 20 yards out. Young stepped up, looped his effort over the ball forcing Ross into a save high to his right hand side. A good save from the keeper to divert the ball for a corner. The resulting corner was claimed by Ross to relieve any danger.
Tynie's first chance of the second half fell to Sinclair, as he got himself in behind Sheridan, 1 on 1 with Gibb, but the tight angle was against the striker as the keeper stood up well to block the shot. From this save, Hutchie broke forward, Sheridan running with the ball and having a long range effort which was held by Ross comfortably.
As the game entered the final 20 minutes, it began to liven up as Samer Lazim cut inside from the left wing, beating Sheridan easily, striking the ball towards the top corner of the Hutchie goal, but the ball flew inches wide of the post. Tynie getting closer and closer to opening the scoring. 
Auriemma burst through on goal after playing a neat 1-2 with Young, knocking the ball over the head of Sandy Hutchison in the process, but just knocked the ball too far allowing Kieren Ross to smother the loose ball.
Despite Tynie being slightly the better team in the second half, Hutchie opened the scoring. Thomas Prior got to the byline, crossing long to the back post for Cameron Fraser, and his first time volley was blocked by Matthews but deflected into the path of speedy striker Cameron McAlpine who was onto the ball in a flash to prod the ball into the net from 6 yards. 1-0 Hutchie.
With all the pressure Tynie piled on Hutchie in the second half without any real clear cut opportunities, it looked as though Hutchie would snatch the game 1-0. However, a cross from Mark Mathison caused Gibb problems as he opted to punch the ball out, the ball hit one of his defenders and into the path of Sinclair, who couldn't miss from 6 yards. 1-1 with only a few minutes left.
The game finished 1-1, and headed to extra time.
  • Full Time:
  • Hutchison Vale
  • 1-1
  • Tynecastle FC

Hutchie had the first opportunity of extra time, with Young's mazy run from the left into the middle, gave Henderson the slip and hit a low shot 18 yards out, which was heading to the keepers' right, but deflected left forcing Ross to scramble across his goal line, but luckily the ball ended up wide of the post. The corner came to nothing.

The only other opportunity of extra time produced the winner. Midfield maestro Lloyd Fiddler played a lofted ball into Sinclair, he evaded Cameron Begbie, then beat Jack Cook for pace and finished expertly left footed across Gibb, to signal celebration mode for the Tynecastle players and coaches.

There wasn't enough time for Hutchie to get any sort of attack going, and referee Tam Carter blew the final whistle to send the Tynie players into party mode. A great second half performance from Tynie in a match that Hutchie just simply never got going, with players Ryan Fox and Ethan Hamilton out injured.

Final Result: Final Result: Hutchison Vale 1-2 Tynecastle (AET)


Hutchison Vale
Tynecastle FC

1. Byron Gibb
2. Cameron Milne
4. Sam Birch
5. Cameron Begbie
6. Thomas Prior
7. Shaun O'Donnell
8. Cal Sheridan
11. Kieren Young
12. Aaran Currie
14. Gabri Auriemma
15. Cameron Fraser
16. Innes Goodall
17. Cameron McAlpine
18. Lewis Swaney
20. Jack Cook
21. Stewart Johnston

20. Kieren Ross
2. Daniel Matthews
3. Daniel Headspeath
4. Aaron Nugent
5. Kacper Korpalski
6. Mark Mathison
7. Daryl Henderson
9. Sonny Swanson
10. Bradley Sinclair
11. Sandy Hutchison
12. Lloyd Fiddler
14. Samer Lazim
15. Jason Aitken
18. Robbie Conway

Star Player
Hutchison Vale
Tynecastle FC
Hutchie were unable to find any real openings in the match, but Kieren Young was always willing to try his luck from in and around the box. His ability to run with the ball aswell caused Tynie a few problems
One player on the night stood out like a sore thumb for Tynecastle, and it was big strikr Bradley Sinclair. He could do it all! Hold the ball up, bring others in to play, and both his goals were instinctive finishes
Magic Moment
Hutchison Vale
Tynecastle FC
Hutchie scored against the run of play through Cameron McAlpine, and with around 10 minutes to go it looked as though it may be the match winner when Cameron Fraser's effort deflected into the path of McAlpine to score from 6 yards out.
Bradley Sinclair's second goal proved to be the decisive one, and it sent the Tynie sideline into raptures. Squeezing in between the Hutchie centre halves and finished low into the corner.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments