Home My YFS

All aboard as Newcraighall lift Lothian Buses Cup

Newcraighall Leith Vics 2

Robertson 22, 36

Hutchison Vale 0

  • Friday, 11 April 2014
  • Meadowbank 3G
  • Under 13´s
  • Lothian Buses Cup
Newcraighall Leith Vics under 13s lifted the Lothian Buses Cup, after a 2-0 victory over Hutchison Vale at Meadowbank 3G.
Two goals from John Robertson, either side of half time, secured the trophy for Newcraighall. They have not yet lost to Hutchison Vale this season, and the two teams meet yet again on Sunday in the Ken Ritchie Cup final. 
Newcraighall signalled their intent early on, as a through ball down the left wing found Yrick Gallantes. His low cross set up Robertson, but the striker could not control his volley and directed the ball wide. 
Mark Tenant nearly opened the scoring in the sixth minute. His stunning long range effort hit the bar before Hutchie goalkeeper Ciaran Cairns was able to gather the ball. 
Hutchie’s Lewis McCann thought he would score a minute later. John Plea found him in the area and, just as he was shaping up to shoot, a terrific last ditch challenge by Arran Bathgate denied him the opportunity.
With 20 minutes played, Plea had a good chance to equalise. After a good passing move by Hutchie, Latto’s low cross from the left by-line found Plea, but his shot was well saved by Tyler McGee. 
Robertson opened the scoring shortly after, striking the ball past Cairns from inside the area. Louis Flucker notched the assist with an excellent through ball.
Gallantes had a goal disallowed for Newcraighall just before half time. Robertson drove into the area and shot across goal. The shot looked to be going wide but Gallantes was at the back post to direct the ball into the net from close range. Unfortunately for him, he was ahead of Robertson and the goal was disallowed for offside. 
  • Half Time:
  • Newcraighall Leith Vics
  • 1-0
  • Hutchison Vale
It did not take long for Newcraighall to double their lead after the restart. Gallantes’ delicious cross into the six yard box found Robertson, whose simple header found the net. 
Hutchie failed to change the pattern of the match, and both teams struggled to create many further chances. Luis Malcolm’s long range effort was caught by McGee, and Joseph McGinty nearly caught Cairns off guard with a looping header that went just over the bar. 
Latto had a good chance to pull a goal back in the 65th minute. He received the ball in the left side of the penalty area, but his shot was well saved by McGee. 
Newcraighall nearly had a third goal just before full time. A through ball was launched over the Hutchie defence, and Gallantes beat Cairns to the ball. His first time shot went narrowly wide of the left post and the referee blew the whistle for full time shortly afterwards.
  • Full Time:
  • Newcraighall Leith Vics
  • 2-0
  • Hutchison Vale


Newcraighall Leith Vics
Hutchison Vale

1. Tyler McGee
2. Josh Sharkey
3. James Henderson
4. Joseph McGinty
5. Arran Bathgate
6. Finlay Connor
7. Jordan Daly
8. Louis Flucker
9. Yrick Gallantes
10. John Robertson
11. Sean Ward
12. James Smith
14. Colin McKinnon
17. Mark Tenant
19. Andrew Mckay
21. Colin Tayler

1. Ciaran Cairns
2. Jay Pleat
3. Nathan Hill
4. Thomas Sweeney
5. Eden Paterson
6. Ross Young
7. Luke McMahon
8. Rory Campbell
9. Lewis McCann
10. Luis Malcolm
11. Brandon Blair
14. John Plea
15. Daniel Lock
16. Callum Anderson
17. Scott Latto
18. Declan McFadden

Star Player
Newcraighall Leith Vics
Hutchison Vale
John Robertson took both goals well, and his pace was a constant threat to the Hutchison Vale defence
In a difficult evening for Hutchison Vale, Rory Campbell kept calm and assured in the centre of midfield.
Magic Moment
Newcraighall Leith Vics
Hutchison Vale
Newcraighall's second goal, finished by Robertson, summed up their 'pass and move' style of play.
Hutchison Vale's best chance came in the 20th minute. After passing the ball around the Newcraighall defence, they created a good chance that was well saved.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments