Home My YFS

Kirkliston South Queensferry lift Persevere Cup with fine display

Easthouses FC 1

Duffy 57

Kirkliston South Queensferry 5

Bradford 5, 65, Glass 10, 14, Karaduman 63
  • Sunday, 06 April 2014
  • New Dundas Park
  • Under 13´s
  • Persevere Cup - Final
Michael O'Brien

Michael O'Brien | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Easthouses and Kirkliston South Queensferry met for the final of the U13 Persevere Cup on Sunday. It turned out to be a comfortable win for the league leaders as they defeated Easthouses five goals to one at New Dundas Park in Bonnyrigg.
Kirkliston got off to a flying start when Andrew Bradford opened the scoring after just five minutes. His team had pressed high from kick-off and their pressure paid off when Muir Deckers layed the ball off to Bradford who cut inside and powered a right-footed shot past Easthouses keeper Liam Spencer. Easthouses were shocked by the way in which Kirkliston had taken the game to them from the first minute. They had little time to compose themselves before Kirkliston doubled their lead five minutes later. Again it was Decker who played the vital pass, this time setting up Fraser Glass, who finished in a similar way to how Bradford had moments earlier.
Kirkliston now had a comfortable lead and up until this time hadn’t been pressured by Easthouses at all. They didn’t take their foot off the gas and continued to press high up the park, looking to get the ball down when possible and played some good football in large spells. They didn’t give Easthouses an opportunity to get back into the game and it wasn’t long before they increased their lead even further. It was Glass who grabbed his second of the game after fourteen minutes after capitalising on a poor Easthouses clearance. He side-footed the ball past the keeper, to the delight of his teammates who must have been thinking that the game was over even at such an early stage.
However Easthouses, who had got off to a poor start began to string together a few passes and created some chances for themselves. Zac Scally in particular worked hard to keep a hold of the ball, something that his side had struggled to do for large parts of the first half. Scally worked the ball into the box several times but often found himself with little passing options. One opportunity saw Scally with just the keeper to beat but Kirkliston’s Callum Robertson rushed off his goal-line to clear the ball away. A long range effort Andrew Nelson saw another chance for Easthouses but Robertson did well to hold the shot and prevent his side from concealing a goal before half-time.
At the other end, Easthouses keeper Spencer did well to stop a couple of powerful shots from Ryan Forrest and Andrew Bradford, which surely would have sealed the game if they had found the back of the net.  Kirkiston went into half-time with a three goal lead then but things were looking more promising for Easthouses who were beginning to show signs of getting back into the game.
  • Half Time:
  • Easthouses FC
  • 0-3
  • Kirkliston South Queensferry
The second half started at a slightly slower pace than the first half had and unfortunately for Easthouses they weren’t able to build on the chances that they had created towards the end of the first period. Kirkliston came close when Lloyd Rohan’s corner hit the post and bounced dangerously in the six yard box. Glass flicked the rebound towards the goal but Spencer did well to hold the ball. Rohan would have felt especially unlucky to have been denied by the woodwork after rattling a header against the bar in the first half.
Kirkliston seemed to be sitting back slightly, content with their three goal lead that they had earned themselves. However this gave Easthouses the opportunity to create some goalscoring chances. 
One of the best passing moves came in the second half when Jack McCormack and Zac Scally linked up in the middle of the park. Scally laid the ball off to Arran Ferguson whose shot rolled just wide of the right post. Easthouses were inspired by how close they had came to scoring and pushed forward, confident in their ability to get a goal. They did so on fifty-seven minutes when Jay McCallion’s lofted ball found the head of Matthew Duffy who watched his effort hit the back of the net.
Easthouses had got a goal back in the tie which was no more than they deserved after battling back to threaten Kirkliston. They would have hoped that their goal would be a springboard to further opportunities and a chance to perhaps draw level in the cup final. It wasn’t to be though as just five minutes later Emre Karaduman smashed the ball past the Easthouses defence and into the goal, putting the game to bed and ensuring that Kirkliston were crowned the winners of the 2014 Persevere Cup.
There was time for Bradford to grab his second of the game before the referee blew his whistle to signal the end of the game, capping off a great afternoon for the midfielder and Kirkliston South Queensferry.
  • Full Time:
  • Easthouses FC
  • 1-5
  • Kirkliston South Queensferry


Easthouses FC
Kirkliston South Queensferry

1. Liam Spencer
2. Andrew Nelson
3. Zac Scally
4. Alex Chalmers-Bugueno
5. Declan Foley
6. Darren Carbary
7. Lauchlan MacLean
8. Arran Ferguson
9.. Corey Watt
10. Jay McCallion
11. Fraser McKimmie
14. Caleb Ness
15. Matthew Duffy
16. Jack McCormack

1. Calum Robertson
2. Muir Deckers
3. Greig Richardson
4. Ryan Forrest
5. Fraser Glass
6. Luca Ward
7. Andrew Bradford
8. James Anderson
11. Cameron Inness
15. Ross Smith
16. William Paget
19. Harris McGill
20. Emre Karaduman
21. Fraser Lee
24. Lloyd Rohan
25. Jayme McCraw-Clark

Star Player
Easthouses FC
Kirkliston South Queensferry
Zac Scally worked hard for the entire game, constantly making runs up the left wing. Looked dangerous when he got a hold of the ball and worked his way into the box on a few occasions.
Fraser Glass scored twice early on to give his side a comfortable lead and set up teammate Andrew Bradford, who also had an excellent game, to score Kirkliston’s fifth with minutes to go.
Magic Moment
Easthouses FC
Kirkliston South Queensferry
Duffy's goal was well deserved and nearly brought Easthouses back into the game.
Karaduman's strike was emphatic and put the tie beyond Easthouses.
Club Views
Easthouses FC
Kirkliston South Queensferry
Kevin McCallion of Easthouses said: "I thought we started quite sluggish today. Our attitude was a bit off from the start and that showed in the final result. We were missing some big players today but take nothing away from Kirkliston, the best team won today."
Ian McGill of Kirkliston South Queensferry said: "We played really well as a team against a decent side. Getting a two goal lead after ten minutes was really important and it gave the players a massive confidence boost to push on. We’ve came up against Easthouses before this season and they turned us over. We’ve still to play them twice before the season ends so we’re looking forward to that."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments