Home My YFS

Edinburgh South in Division One League Cup win

Written by 


Hutchison Vale FC
Edinburgh South FC
U19s SERYFL Division 1 League Cup
11 March 2014
The excellent new 3g facility at Meadowbank was the venue for the quarter final tie in the Division 1 league cup tie between Hutchison Vale and Edinburgh South. The home team are unbeaten in the league and still involved in six of the cup competitions at under 19 level. The visitors had struggled for form lately after a bright start to the season and hadn’t registered a win in 2014.
As the sides lined up for kick off both teams were missing players through suspension and injury. Top goalscorer James Flynn looked to be a big miss for South, he was still suffering from an illness which had kept him out of the Schools international versus Northern Ireland two days earlier.
The breezy conditions made it difficult for both sides but South with the wind helping looked to get forward and put the Vale defence under pressure and a break down the right gave Habtemariam a chance which came back off the post. At the other end Vale looked to use the wings but the South full backs stood up to the challenge. A series of misplaced passes in midfield and defence gave Vale a chance in the box but the South defence threw bodies in the way to make the block. 
The opening goal was to come shortly afterwards when the Vale centre half got the ball trapped under his feet and the South centre forward Johnston was quick to pounce and took his time before despatching into the net.
Vale came forward and only a fine save by Murrin going full stretch to turn away a shot from outside the box by Edwards kept South’s lead intact.
As the second half got underway the wind seemed to pick up making it difficult for South to defend but was also causing difficulties for Vale as the ball zipped off the artificial surface.
South doubled their lead in the early part of the half. Some neat combination play at the edge of the box left Ross Dray with a shooting chance which he took firing the ball into the corner of the net giving his former club a real mountain to climb.
This signaled an onslaught on the South goal as Vale tried to force their way back into the game and they pulled a goal back after the South defence let a long throw in bounce in their box and Coyle pounced on the loose ball to stab it home.
A couple of efforts from Vale came back off the woodwork as the game drew to a close but South deservedly held on to progress through to their second semi-final of the season where they will face another tough test against Musselburgh Windsor 96.
Mention must go to the man in the middle, the experienced Jim Sim who applied ‘rule 18’ throughout the match which at times threatened to boil over as both teams showed a determination to progress in the cup.

1. Thomas Cordey

2. Zach Szemis

3. Kevin-Lee Keane

4. Matthew Joint

5. Lewis Todd

6. Brendan Edwards

7. Rob Dent

9. Ryan Malcolm

10. Jason Coyle

11. Liam Henderson

12. Scott Siegel

14. Ross Anderson

15. Matthew McGuire

18. Matthew Sampson



1. Liam Murrin

2. Graeme Masterson

3. Lewis Bell

4. Dillan Stark

5. Matthew Palfreyman

6. Liam McKay

7. Ross Dray

8. Scott Tranter

9. Fraser Johnston

10. Daniel McKinlay

11. Aman Habtemariam

12. Michael Darroch

15. Harry Rigg

Full Time: Hutchison Vale 1-2 Edinburgh South 
Login to post comments