Home My YFS

Tynecastle overcome Leith to secure cup final spot

Leith Athletic 2000 1

Bremner 16

Tynecastle FC 2

Wilson 28, Gill 84
  • Final score: Leith Athletic 2000 1-2 Tynecastle FC
  • Sunday, 02 March 2014
  • Leith Links
  • Under 14´s
  • Willie Bauld Cup semi-final
Tynecastle FC booked their place in the Willie Bauld Cup U14’s Final and a trip to Tynecastle Stadium after defeating Leith Athletic at Leith Links thanks to an extra-time free kick by Lewis Gill.

Leith kicked the game off in sunny weather but heavy ground conditions. It was a cautious start from both sides, a perhaps symptom of what was at stake: a final to be played on the hallowed turf of Heart of Midlothian’s Tynecastle Stadium.

In a game short on chances, Tynecastle’s Max Bendle was first to attack at ten minutes. Lewis Gill fed a ball through to the mini maestro who was unable to connect properly with his strike, an easy gather for Leith goalkeeper Adam McLean.

Leith took the lead on sixteen minutes after a charge down the left flank to the Tynecastle by-line was cut back into the six yard box. A goalmouth stramash resulted in Leith’s Callum Bremner managing to poke the ball into the net.

It was not the prettiest of openers and there was an argument on whether the ball was in play at the by-line, however the referee allowed it to stand and Tynecastle now needed to rally after the sluggish start.

That they did. The frustration of the goal kicked the team into life with more sustained pressure beginning in the Leith final third.

The visitors got their equaliser thanks to Aaron Wilson. After attempts to capitalise down the right channel Tynecastle released a bouncing ball eight yards from the Leith back post where it was met by Wilson who connected sweetly knocking it past keeper McLean.

Leith’s Liall Smith tried mounting a response soon after the goal in the centre of the park, beating Tynecastle’s Bendle and firing a shot thirty yards out narrowly wide of the left post.

As the first half drew to a close, little separated the two sides with neither playing to their full potential.
  • Half Time:
  • Leith Athletic 2000
  • 1-1
  • Tynecastle FC
Tynecastle started the second half brightly, a pleasant change of pace to the shy start of the first. Their pressure on the Leith defence saw the intimidating Leith defender Nathan Brown almost concede an own goal, his set-piece clearance narrowly whizzing past the front post.
No semi-final would be complete without a penalty claim; Leith’s Bremner appeared to be impeded in the Tynecastle box. Ferocious shouts from the Leith supporters but little complaint from Bremner, suggesting a correct call by the referee.

The centre of the park was busy, Tynecastle’s Bendle compensating well for the height disadvantage against a tall Leith side, midway in the second half used his skill to find space and thread a ball through to Cameron Mills who lifted his strike over the bar.

A flurry of action in the Leith goalmouth was led by Tynecastle ace Jordan Purves. Purves was a constant thorn in the side of Leith’s Duncan Tarry and came close in a Tynecastle double chance, his first strike being blocked and a the follow-up by Ciaran McKenzie held well by McLean.

Despite the avidity of Tynecastle’s second half assault, this tie was all but one-sided. A Leith attack at fifty minutes saw a bizarre deflected ball from the right channel by Lewis Mackinnon hit off the Tynecastle upright, resulting in a goal-line clearance. This was a reminder that the coveted final spot was still in the balance.

As extra time drew closer the fresh legs of James Cameron gave Tynecastle a lift, however it would be Leith who came closest to winning the tie in the dying minutes of normal time: Liall Smith muscled himself into space thirty yards from goal but – as with so many of today’s strikes – was unable to hit the target.
  • Full Time:
  • Leith Athletic 2000
  • 1-1
  • Tynecastle FC
Extra time was an understandably nervous affair as both sets of boys were keen not to concede the tie so close to penalties.

It was the second half of extra time that makes this semi-final a memorable one. After Leith conceded an indirect free kick twenty–five yards out, Lewis Gill’s first attempt sailed harmlessly over the bar. The referee signalled a re-take due to an infringement by the Leith wall. A fortuitous result for Gill, who stepped up for a second go this time making no mistake, lofting the ball into the far side of the net over the helpless keeper McLean. 2-1 to Tynecastle with only six minutes remaining.

A frenzy of Leith pressure in the dying minutes almost resulted in an equaliser, the Tynecastle shot stopper Jordan Brown pulling off a great save with an outstretched leg to stop Leith’s Nathan Brown.

As the referee brought extra time to a close, the Tynecastle boys were ecstatic having secured their visit to Tynecastle Stadium for the Willie Bauld Cup final.

Final Result: Final score: Leith Athletic 2000 1-2 Tynecastle FC


Leith Athletic 2000
Tynecastle FC
Adam Mclean
Ewan Farmer
Bradley Barrett
Callum Bremner
Cameron Burn
Shaun Farrow
Nathan Brown
Craig Ferrier
Lewis Mackinnon
Kyle McFarlane
Findlay Paxton
Liall Smith
Duncan Tarry
Reenan Ward
Jordan Brown
Max Bendle
Aaron Wilson
Dean Galloway
Cameron Laurie
Andrew Lickley
Ciaran McKenzie
Cameron Mills
Daniel Purves
Jordan Purves
Cameron Young
Todd Teviotdale
Lewis Gill
James Cameron
Liam Dalgetty
Paul Allan
Star Player
Leith Athletic 2000
Tynecastle FC
Liall Smith was able to use his strength to create a few of Leith chances during the tie.
Jordan Purves caused the Leith defence headaches throughout the second half with his flair.
Magic Moment
Leith Athletic 2000
Tynecastle FC
Lewis Mackinnon's deflected effort hitting the Tynecastle post brought a frantic buzz of excitement to this semi-final.
Lewis Gill takes the spoils with his extra-time free kick which won the tie for his team.
Club Views
Leith Athletic 2000
Tynecastle FC
Aidan Forbes, coach of Leith Athletic 2000s, said: "We're obviously disappointed but the boys need to keep their heads up. It's about development at this level and it's important that they keep doing the right things."
Dean Montgomery, coach of Tynecastle FC, said: "It was a brilliant result for the boys. We started a bit sloppy but I think we were overall the better team. We looked better on the break.

Looking towards the final it is going to be tough, but the boys just need to go out there and enjoy it."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments