Home My YFS

Currie dump out Cavalry in cup upset

Currie Star FC 2

Kyle Dixon (2)

Cavalry Park FC 1

Own Goal
  • Sunday, 20 October 2013
  • Meggetland 3G
  • Under 16´s
  • Colin Greenhill Memorial Trophy
Kieran Green

Kieran Green | YFS South East Region Journalist

I think myself and fellow YFS Journalist and Evening News writer Scott Thomson got a taste of all 4 seasons on this sunday afternoon at Meggetland. Currie Star produced a magical performance, knocking out 1st Division Cavalry Park in the Colin Greenhill Memorial Trophy, and more than deserved their win. An inspired performance from Kyle Dixon along with his two goals gave Currie the win in the end. Cavalry took the lead through an own goal from a Harry Davies cross just 4 minutes in. However, a moment of magic from Kyle Dixon got Currie back on level terms with a spectacular looping effort 18 yards out over Cavalry keeper Lewis Whitelaw. To round off a top performance, Dixon slotted home his second and which proved to be the winner from an unfortunate error from Cavalry's Alexander Simpson. 
It was the first real attack of the game which brought the first goal of the match. Full back Sam Laverty picking out playmaker Harry Davies on the right hand side of the 18 yard box, and his clipped ball in took a deflection off of a Currie defender, and past the helpless Callum Thomson in the Currie sticks. From my angle, couldn't see who put the ball in, but he was certainly under pressure from Cavalry striker and former Tynecastle team mate of mine David Lindsay. A great start for Cavalry in a game that they were very much the favourites going into due to them being a 1st Division side, whereas Currie are sitting mid-table in the 2nd tier. 1-0 Cavalry. 
Straight from the Currie kick off, powerhouse striker Mark McGovern got on the end of a great switch pass from Domenico Pacitti. McGovern took the ball down on his chest, leaving Brandon Archibald the Cavalry centre half for dead, and rifling a shot that stung the palms of Cavalry keeper Lewis Whitelaw, and Robbie Renwick, another former Tynecastle team mate of mine, clearing the danger. McGovern playing as the lone striker was causing Archibald and Renwick problems all afternoon. 
There weren't many clear cut chances for either team in the first half, and the game was more of a battle than a football game. Cavalry almost doubled their lead 23 minutes into the game, when Davies found room in the centre of the pitch, feeding Ross Lamb on the right wing with a brilliant half volley pass. Lamb's touch was expertly put into his own path and his low drilled cross was almost inch perfect for striker Lindsay put the ball just too quick for him to reach. A great move almost ending up with Cavalry scoring a second goal.
It wasn't too much later though that Currie leveled the game. A long ball from centre half Liam Hutchison was once again expertly taken down by McGovern, and Dixon picked up the loose ball, chipping it over Cavalry left back James Ahari. On the right corner of the 18 yard box, with his weaker left foot, he fired an unstoppable looping shot which could not have been better placed beyond the despairing dive of Whitelaw, and into the top corner to give Currie the equaliser. A brilliant piece of skill to chip the ball over Ahari's head then to get the accuracy with his weaker foot was some goal! 1-1 now, game on!
The remaining 10 minutes of the first half was very disappointing with not many chances and the ball just being played long most of the time. Cavalry did attempt to play football but it just wasn't their day as passes were going astray, and the players seemed to lack desire and hunger that would be expected from a 1st Division team. Half time came and the score was level, with Currie more than holding their own and deservedly being level at the break.
  • Half Time:
  • Currie Star FC
  • 1-1
  • Cavalry Park FC
As the second half began in tropical weather conditions, the football seemed to lighten up a bit as well. Cavalry were still trying to play football, but Currie's dogged attitude and to not give anything up was paying dividends for them and they never backed out of a challenge, got stuck in and they definitely had a shout of getting something from the game. Harry Davies was the outstanding player for Cavalry, but he lacked support at times as Cavalry just never seemed to get their heads up after conceding the equaliser before half time. 
Cavalry captain Renwick seemed to want to play every position on the park. His storming runs from centre half were the main threat Cavalry posed in the second half, and his latest almost put them back into the lead. Running down the left wing, playing a one-two with Lindsay, his first time cross to the back post was met by Lamb on the half volley, but his effort was smashed into the side netting. 
As the clouds started to form and the sky getting dull, a dull game was brought back into life unfortunately with a mistake. Sitting midfielder for Cavalry Alexander Simpson was on the edge of his own penalty area, when he attempted a cross-field pass to James Ahari at left back. His pass was short and cut out by the on-form Dixon, who made no mistake of putting the ball low and hard across Whitelaw who was powerless to prevent the ball from hitting the back of the net. Currie players celebrated as though they had won the World Cup, and also much to the delight of their coaches and supporters. They had taken the lead for the first time in the match. 
From the minute they took the lead to the final whistle, Currie made no clear intentions to go forward and score anymore goals. Taking off goalscoring hero Kyle Dixon, and bringing on another defender to solid things up at the back. Taking nothing away from Currie, I would imagine the vast majority of lower division sides would do this against a team from a higher division. 
My view towards the rest of this game was that Cavalry had thrown the towel in and had given up hope of getting an equaliser. There was still plenty time on the clock left for them to do so. Renwick once again proved he could run with the ball from centre half, and this time won his side a corner. Lamb swung the corner into the box, Renwick met the ball with his head, got plenty on the header but firm hands from Thomson prevented the ball from going in. Great stop from the Currie goalkeeper. 
The pressure mounted and mounted on Currie. The Cavalry coach sending Renwick up top to bolster their attack and add more height. It was just unfortunate for Cavalry that they had a bad day themselves, but found Currie on a good day. McGovern worked his socks off upfront all day for Currie, acting as the target man, holding the ball up and generally bossed the Cavalry defenders about. 
Cavalry bombarded the Currie box with shots and crosses in the final 10 minutes, but just couldn't find a way past Thomson in the Currie goal. He was in fine form without being stretched too much. Ross Lamb had the golden opportunity to take the game to Extra Time. Driving right to the byline, and with 4 of his team mates waiting to tap the ball in inside the 6 yard box, he opted to shoot from the most acute angle possible, and hit the side netting.
Referee Billy Connor blew his whistle to signal the end of the game, much to the delight of the Currie Star players and coaches, but to the despair of Cavalry Park. Currie had produced a major cup upset here. 
  • Full Time:
  • Currie Star FC
  • 2-1
  • Cavalry Park FC


Currie Star FC
Cavalry Park FC

1. Callum Thomson
2. Donnie Campbell
4. Lewis Connor
5. Jack Blaney
6. Liam Hutchison
7. Mark McCall
9. Mark McGovern
11. Kyle Dixon
12. Philip Blaney
14. Scott Gourlay
15. Sam Millar
16. Cameron Ross
18. Domenico Pacitti
20. Murray Drew

1. Lewis Whitelaw
2. Calum Shields
3. Calum Dunn
4. David Lindsay
6. Kobi May
7. Robbie Renwick
8. Aidan Holligan
9. Ross Lamb
12. Dylan Noonan
14. Sam Laverty
15. Brandon Archibald
16. Alexander Simpson
17. James Ahari
18. Harry Davies

Star Player
Currie Star FC
Cavalry Park FC
Kyle Dixon scored both his sides goals and his first was spectacular. He was effective on the right hand side of a midfield 5 and caused the Cavalry defenders all sorts of problems.
It was tricky to pick a star player for Cavalry, but it probably would have to go to Harry Davies who was a threat all day, and when he needed his team mates the most they were nowhere to be found. Playmaker in the midfield but no support.
Magic Moment
Currie Star FC
Cavalry Park FC
The goal in which got Currie back into the game was special, and it sparked them into life in this game. The effort on the half volley was superb especially with Dixon's weaker left foot.
The only moment in which there was any real magic for Cavalry was their goal. However it was an own goal. The build up play had to be admired, as the pass from Laverty to Davies was nothing short of brilliant, and the way in which Davies brought the ball down and his cross without even looking was inch perfect
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments