Home My YFS

Dramatic finish as Milton defeat Whitburn on penalties

Written by 


Milton 98's
Whitburn FCA
U16's  West Lothian County Cup R1
13 October 2013
The week saw Milton play at home to Whitburn in the first round of the West Lothian county cup. Previously in these fixtures Milton have been victorious but on this occasion Whitburn were certainly there to make it difficult.
Milton's league form has been outstanding having not conceded a goal in 8 games, however it was Whitburn who took the lead in 8 minutes after a high ball was not cleared and the Whitburn striker lobbed over Cammy Ayres who was advancing.
This was a match that was going from end to end, although Milton were having more of the play, they were unable to capitalise on chances. Whitburn have very much improved since our last outing against them and were very dangerous when they were attacking the Milton goal.
Half time: Milton 98's 0-1 Whitburn FCA
The second half started with Milton being a bit more hungrier and it took just 5 minutes for Adam Beirne to find the ball 21 yards out and hit an excellent shot on his weaker foot over the goalkeeper for his 6th goal of the season. 1-1.
Milton were still having more of the play and also closed down the channel on the left where most of the Whitburn attacking was coming from. Again the second half was becoming more like the first. Milton were creating chances but were unlucky on a few occasions only to be denied by the Whitburn goalkeeper who was on top form.
On the 78th minute Whitburn were awarded a corner. The ball played in and cleared by the Milton defence, which fell to a Whitburn player who played it through to their centre forward who put them 2-1 up.
With 2 minutes remaining the match seemed to be falling away from Milton. That was however until the 80th minute, when Jordan Brown played the ball to Craig Martin on the left side of the box who slotted it past the goalkeepers right hand side from 14 yards, giving him his 7th of the season. 2-2.
End of regulation time: Milton 98’s 2-2 Whitburn FCA
Extra time started and again it was Milton who were pushing for the winning goal, but like the rest of the match, it just wasn't falling for them or they were being denied. Whitburn also had chances to score in extra time but the match ended 2-2 and penalties were next up.
Milton eventually won on penalties 4-3 after Cammy Ayres pulled off an excellent save from the Whitburn no.11's penalty.
Credit still has to go to Whitburn who certainly gave us a game today and will certainly take points off a lot of teams this year.
Milton wish Whitburn all the best for the season.
Players man of the match was awarded to the goalkeeper Cammy Ayres
Well done Milton. Onwards to the next round.
Final score: Milton 98’s 2-2 Whitburn FCA (4-3 on penalties)
Login to post comments