Home My YFS
Tuesday, 24 September 2013 09:52

Longniddry Villa progress in Craig Gowans Cup

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Edinburgh United
Longniddry Villa
Craig Gowans Memorial Cup Rnd 1
Paties Road
21 September 2013
The pitch at Paties Road was in great condition on a beautiful afternoon in Edinburgh so conditions were ideal for playing football. This Under 17's Craig Gowans Memorial cup tie was an entertaining and open game played in the right spirit between Edinburgh United and their opponents from East Lothian, Longniddry Villa.  Both teams enjoyed good periods during the game and the only surprise, given the chances created was that the game only provided 4 goals, although this was down to some very good goalkeeping.
Edinburgh United started the game the brighter and more composed but without troubling the Longniddry defence.  As the game progressed, Longniddry started to dominate possession and missed a number of very good chances to take the lead, mainly down to the efforts of Iwola in the United goal who had a fantastic game. Somewhat against the run of play, United took the lead after 30 minutes when their striker, Marshall managed to find space for himself and dispatch a clean finish behind Wishart in the Longniddry goal.  Parity was restored within 5 minutes when Longniddry's, Soso finished powerfully following a corner. The score stayed this way until half time despite a great run from Longniddry's Campbell, who ran from his own half into the United box only to see his effort just clear the top of the crossbar.
Half Time: Edinburgh United 1-1 Longniddry Villa
Longniddry started the second half with more purpose but without creating the chances of the first half.  Longniddry did miss a penalty after 60 minutes but eventually took the lead following another corner which was hit firmly by Young into the back of the net.
Both teams kept pushing for another goal and Edinburgh were denied an equaliser by a great save from Blakely in the Longniddry goals.  Longniddry then secured that all important third goal after 79 minutes when McSorley executed a lovely lob over the United keeper.
To their great credit Edinburgh United kept going at Longniddry and were again unlucky not to score but a terrific block from Shanks in the Longniddry defence stopped a certain goal on the goal line.
Overall a good cup tie, where both teams worked extremely hard in a game well handled by referee R. Menzies.
Full Time: Edinburgh United 1-3 Longniddry Villa
Login to post comments