Home My YFS
Sunday, 19 May 2013 20:58

Currie Star shine bright with cup final win

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Dalkeith CYP
Currie Star
Lickley 6


U14 Charles Porter Cup - Final
Saughton Enclosure

Joe Birchenall

By Joe Birchenall
YFS East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @joe_birchenall

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo Gallery | Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

A solitary goal from Andrew Lickley was enough to see Currie Star beat Dalkeith CYP and lift the Charles Porter Cup after a thrilling match of football at Saughton Park. Lickley scored an early first half goal but Callum Bielski looked to have handed Dalkeith a life line late on with a stunning free kick. Instead, Sam Colley pulled off an even more impressive save to palm the ball away and preserve his sides lead.

From the start there was a high tempo to the game, and it was clear both teams were fired up. Currie’s Russell Cairns looked lively in the opening exchanges and he waltzed past numerous tackles before being brought down, winning a free kick that Dalkeith would soon regret. The ball was whipped into the box fiercely and although a defender was first to it, the header was unconvincing and fell kindly to Andrew Lickley who adjusted his footing before volleying a delicate chip over the advancing defenders and hapless Jak Buchanan in goals. While there was an air of fortune about the ball falling to him in the first place, the young man made no mistake with the finish despite having a lot still to do. 1 – 0 Currie Star inside seven minutes.

At the other end, Connor Hamilton looked a potent threat for Dalkeith, particularly when linking up with Owen Winnik. Several times the pair managed to create space for themselves despite the attention of the Currie back-line. However, Hamilton’s night was over cut short soon however, as the striker limped off after just 16 minutes, meaning Winnik was pushed up front.

Despite being a goal down and losing their starting striker, Dalkeith rallied and even started to dominate possession towards the end of the first half. Jay Murray set up a shot from distance for Owen Winnik to hit, but the youngster couldn’t get the better of Sam Colley with a raking drive. Winnik then turned provider as he laid off a sumptuous ball for Fraser Walker to run on to with the keeper out of position. Walker was just unable to direct his shot around Colley’s outstretched hands but the signs look positive for Dalkeith as the referee brought the first half to a close.

Half Time: Dalkeith CYP 0 - 1 Currie Star

Dalkeith had shown their attaching quality in flashes rather than over an extended period of time, but they had looked dangerous when the midfield was in place to support Winnik up top. Currie looked good for their lead, with Russel Cairns and Andrew Lickley both on form and looking likely to cause trouble whenever they were on the ball. Cairns in particular looked dangerous every time he utilised his pace.

The second half got underway and almost straight away Lickley looked as though he was about to score yet another early goal after Cairns had dragged the ball back across goal but somehow Jak Buchanan got a hand to the big man’s effort. Cairns was involved yet again after he was fortunate to muscle a way through Callum Bielski and Jake Beveridge but couldn’t direct his shot goalwards.

Owen Winnik had been a nuisance in the first half, and things looked no different in the second as his weighted pass put Jay Murray through on goal but the youngster was held up as three Currie players surrounded him. Murray had more luck minutes later when a delicate piece of skill saw him round Sam Colley but, again, dogged defending meant that there was a further three bodies waiting to clear on the goal line.

Currie were showing a strong desire to hold on to their lead and to defend, but the defensive efforts of Dalkeith’s Cameron McBeth were, at times, singlehandedly keeping his team within just one goal of their opponents. Time and time again Dalkeith looked to have been caught out by the pace of the Currie forward line or by a searching long ball, only for McBeth to intervene with authority. A series of challenges all demonstrated the fullback’s commitment, but a full-stretch flying tackle on Cairns just inside the 18 yard box showed a level of skill matching that of his effort. Inspiring stuff from the right back.

With 15 minutes remaining Dalkeith switched to three at the back in an effort to push on, but they never managed to bridge the gap between their midfield and attack. Owen Winnik ran the line well and was supported equally well by Jay Murray and Fraser Walker, but the Currie defence was too well marshalled to allow them any real space. Instead, they were happy to soak up the pressure and to hit back on the counter and Dalkeith had Mcbeth to thank, again, after he denied a certain goal with a crucial intervention despite being outnumbered two to one.

As the game entered its closing stages, Dalkeith launched everything at Currie and they must have thought they’d found a way back in to the tie when a venomous Callum Bielski free kick looked certain to hit the back of the net but Sam Colley inexplicably got a hand to it at the last second. Bielski was so close to scoring that the majority of his team’s fans were already celebrating when the young goalkeeper made the save - agonising for the Dalkeith support.

Winnik had one final shot saved but ultimately Currie held on to secure their victory. Dalkeith would rightfully argue they were hard done by, but they couldn’t really deny that Currie Star were deserving winners. Played out in a sporting fashion, the final was an excellent exhibition of youth football that was thoroughly enjoyed by all in attendance.

Full Time: Dalkeith CYP 0 - 1 Currie Star

Dalkeith CYP Currie Star
1. Jak Buchanan
2. Ryan Brown
3. Robert Cole
4. Callum Bielski
5. Jay Murray
6. Glenn Prior
7. Mathew Scotland
8. Owen Winnik
9. Connor Hamilton
10. Taylor Rogan
11. Kieran Jack
12. Jake Beneridge
13. Fraser Walker
14. Charlie Black
15. Cameron McBeth
16. Lewis Latimer
1. Sam Colley
2. Ewan Mitchell
3. Calum Henderson
4. Jack Passmore
5. Ross Inglis
6. Dean Galloway
7. Max Bendle
8. James Cameron
9. Robbie Campbell
10. Russell Cairns
11. Cameron Laurie
15. Andrew Lickley
18. Robbie Beveridge

Cameron McBeth Was an absolute rock at the back. Gave his opponents no time or space on the ball and made too many excellent tackles to count.
Russell Cairns Never stopped running and was a constant menace from start to finish. Deserved a goal and nearly had one several times, but a great performance nonetheless.
Alan Brown, Manager, said: "It was very close and the guys gave us everything, so it was a good game to watch – end to end. What a great save at the end by the goalkeeper though wasn’t it? I thought it could have gone either way but congratulations to Currie."

Dean Montgomery, Manager, said: "Dalkeith had beat us a couple of weeks ago and I felt we had to match them physicaly but I also felt we had a little bit more pace and technical ability. It was a great game, end to end and great football from both teams. Nerve wracking to watch but I did personally feel our deserved to win at the end of the day."
Last modified on Tuesday, 30 July 2013 17:15
Joe Birchenall

Joe Birchenall | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments