Home My YFS
Monday, 11 March 2013 11:41

Professional job sees Edinburgh United progress

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Whitehackle Gracemount
Edinburgh United Juniors
U19 SERYFA D2 League Cup
Duddingston Park
Whitehackle approached this Division II League Cup tie as favourites to win having triumphed in their previous encounter with Edinburgh United Juniors at Paties Road back in November. But a solid, business-like performance from the visitors enabled them to take the honours and continue their recent successful cup form. A quarter-final match against either league leaders Star A or Cavalry Park awaits them as reward.

United took the game to Whitehackle from the start and constantly pressing carved out a series of good chances without making a dent on the score. Patty, White, McCallum (x2), Hannah and Spencer all came close as Hackle weathered the storm. Bertoia on the right of United's midfield continually stretched Hackle's defences and the impressive and pacy Donovan Higbangana at left back for the home side had to look lively on a number of occasions. Unfortunately for him and Whitehackle he suffered an injury on the half hour mark and had to leave the field – his pace and assured touch would be dearly missed.

United finally broke the deadline with a goal that owed as much to the greasy condition of the ball as any skill on their part. With around 35 minutes on the clock Boyle popped up in the box to direct a shot goalwards. The slippery ball squeezed out of the keeper's despairing grasp to roll over the line and give Edinburgh a lead they certainly deserved. But it didn't last long. With half-time approaching, Whitehackle scored a stunning equaliser. A flowing move down their right hand side finished with a cut-back into the path of Christie whose contact on the volley was perfect with the ball hitting the roof of the net before the keeper had time to move.
Half Time: Whitehackle Gracemount 1-1 Edinburgh United Juniors
Lifted by their equaliser Whitehackle were far more likely after the interval and enjoyed their best spell of the game. Ortiz and McIntosh, who were hard working and effective throughout the match, each had long range efforts that on another day might have scored. United responded with some play of their own and McCallum broke free to lob the keeper only to see his effort cleared off the line.

A goal would win it for either side, and with extra-time looming it was the visitors who got the vital strike. Tweedie and Andrew Swinney, who had a fine game for United at right back, combined to set up Boyle again. There was nothing fortunate about his finish this time as he struck sweetly from 15 yards leaving the keeper no chance.

With only minutes remaining the goal proved decisive and United progressed to the next round without any further scares at their end. Both teams can be satisfied that they served up some good football on a narrow, greasy pitch and kept the small knots of spectators relatively warm on a cold afternoon at Duddingston.
Full Time: Whitehackle Gracemount 1-2 Edinburgh United Juniors
Last modified on Thursday, 19 September 2013 11:31
Login to post comments