Home My YFS
Wednesday, 14 September 2011 21:52

Broomhouse triumph in tricky East Lothian trip

Written by  Stuart Rae
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Haddington Athletic Under 21s v Broomhouse FC Under 21s
SYFA Challenge Cup 1st Round (10/09/11)
This was a repeat of the identical fixture last year but it was to be a much tougher game for the visitor's than last season. In the 2010 fixture Broomhouse ran out comfortable winners scoring three times in each half without reply. This tie was a hard fought affair and the visitors had to work hard for their place in the 2nd Round. 
Broomhouse started brightly and after a couple of probing attacks they opened the scoring on 4 minutes. Three of Broomhouse's new signings combined to create and finish the opening goal. Ryan McMillan's pass found Gary McLaughlan who in turned flicked the ball to Jason MacKay who provided a composed finish. However, the lead was short lived. There was a mix up in the Broomhouse defence and a failure to deal with a long speculative ball saw the home side grab the chance to get back on terms with only 6 minutes on the clock. The equaliser lifted the home side and some strong defending was required from Kevin Kilday to prevent a second Haddington goal.
The visitors were on the attack again on the 10th minute. The move just failed to produce a goal when strong hold up play from another new Broomhouse signing, David Omozik, was brought to and end when a number of Haddington defenders managed to disposses the Broomhouse forward. The two frontmen for Broomhouse, David Omozik and Gary McLaughlan were linking up well and proving to be a handful for the Haddington defence. 
The home side were not without chances and enjoyed a good spell of play midway through the first half. The first was a shot which went inches by the Broomhouse post on 20 minutes. Three minutes later a powerful drive  drew a great save from Shaun Patrick in the Broomhouse goal. A Haddington move on 25 minutes saw them get beyond the Broomhouse defence only for the striker to over run and fail to get a shot away.
In the best traditions of cup football the action switched to the Haddington goal mouth with David Omozik getting two powerful shots on target in as many minutes. The Haddington keeper could not hold the first of the shots with the ball breaking back out into open play but he was able to hold the second shot. A glancing header from a Haddington corner on 35 minutes and a drive from distance from Broomhouse midfielder Jason MacKay were the last meaningful attempts of the first half and the teams went into the break on level terms.
Half Time: Haddington Athletic Under 21s 1-1 Broomhouse FC Under 21s
Broomhouse got off to a good start in the second period with a Mark McGeough drive palmed straight up and over the bar by the Haddington keeper on 52 minutes. The visitors regained the lead on 55 minutes and did so courtesy of a terrific solo effort by Darren Hogan. His pacy and tricky runs the Haddington defence had been causing problems throughout the game but on this ocassion there was no stopping the Broomhouse man who topped off his brilliant run with a powerful left foot shot which crashed into the net beyond the helpless Haddington keeper. The visitor's were now starting to asert themselves and a close range David Omozik strike on the hour mark was ruled offside.
Broomhouse had a great chance to increase their lead on 65 minutes when a Gary Rae free kick was perfectly flighted to the Haddington back post where it was met by Craig McGregor whose header was just wide.
Haddington were not getting as close to the Broomhouse goal as they had been in the first half and their shots were failing to test the Broomhouse keeper. Broomhouse continued to press for a third goal and on 71 minutes Jason MacKay's headed effort was just inches over. Kyle Stewart tried his luck with a shot from distance which was also just wide of target and Mark McGeough's low drive was held by the keeper.
Haddington's best chance of the second half was on 83 minutes when a brave point blank save - the save of the match -  was required from Shaun Patrick to keep the visitor's lead intact. On 89 minutes David Omozik played a square ball to Jason MacKay who in turn played in Gary Rae who was just unable to put the ball beyond the Haddington keeper. The very last action of the match resulted in a third goal for the visitors. A race between the Haddington keeper and Broomhouse striker David Omozik for a loose ball saw the striker just get a toe to it ahead of the keeper, and as a result the ball broke to Gary Rae who steered it into the empty net.
Having had a taste of cup success winning the West of Scotland Cup last season this was a tough opening game for Broomhouse who hope to win more silverware  in this season's campaign. The 2nd round will see Broomhouse take on Dumbarton Harp at home.
Full Time: Haddington Athletic Under 21s 1-3 Broomhouse FC Under 21s
Last modified on Thursday, 08 August 2013 11:27
Login to post comments