Print this page

Milne brace helps Currie Colts to collect cup

Currie Star Colts 3

Milne 13, 24, Smyth 71

Gullane Athletic 1

Chapman-Liddell, 57
Currie Spar Colts survived a late revival by Gullane to claim victory
Gullane started the game well, with much of the early play, but they were unable to create any clear-cut opportunities, only half-chances, and Colts slowly began to establish a foothold.
Ben Smyth managed to find a way through for them, getting some space and taking on a shot, but Ollie Aitken made a fantastic save diving to his left. This seemed to jolt the game into sudden life.
Angus Blacklock’s attempted through ball over the top was met by Rueben Flapan in the Colts goal, who tried to clear, but kicked the ball straight at Gullane striker, Harvey Gill. The ball cannoned off Gill, and could have gone anywhere, but looped up, just over the Colts goal. A very fortunate escape for Colts.
Gullane came again, but Cole Chapman-Liddell was caught just a fraction offside.
Just when it looked as though Gullane were in command, however, Colts struck. Patrick Milne picked possession on the Colts right wing. After beating two defenders, he floated a teasing ball in to the penalty area…all the way into the back of the net. We will never know whether or not he meant it, but it caught Aitkenoff guard, and he couldn’t scramble back in time to claw it out, though not for want of trying. Out of nothing, Colts had the lead.
Gullane looked to respond straight away, with Gill taking on an ambitious effort from the top of the box, but it whistled over the bar.
Then, Cole Chapman-Liddell found Gill with a lofted through ball, who was in, but scuffed his effortat goal, and Flapan saved easily.
Up at the other end, Jamie Steven Alexander and Oliver Hean tried to combine for Colts, but the latter’s shot was blocked.
Then, Smyth had another go, this time from some distance with his left foot, but he couldn’t quite curl it back in enough and it went just wide of the far post.
After Gullane failed to fully deal with a corner, the ball came back to Santosh Rowe on the edge of the penalty area, who got a good connection on his shot, but it flew past the same post that Smyth’s had just moments earlier.
Then, Rowe was once again involved, as Hean tried to play him through, but the linesman’s flag went up for offside.
Shortly after, Smyth muscled his way through again, but mis-kicked at the crucial moment.
Ruthven Dunn was next to try his luck, from over 30 yards, but blazed the ball over the bar.
Daniel King had a run at the Gullane defence, weaving in and out, beating two defenders, and having a shot from just inside the area, which was again wide.
Rowe was more accurate with his next chance, this time forcing a good save out of Aitken after getting himself into a good position again. Finally, the pressure told.
After winning yet another corner, Rowe’s delivery was pinpoint accurate this time to Milne, who tucked home with an instinctive finish at the near post. After creating little for the opening portion of the game, Colts had turned the screw with a flurry of opportunities and now had a two-goal advantage.
But Gullane were almost back in it immediately. A mix-up between goalkeeper and defender meant that Callum Queen was able to latch onto the end of a Gill cross, prodding the ball away from Aitken, and all of a sudden, finding himself with an empty net to stare, but the angle was too tight and his shot rattled back off the near post.
Now, Colts looked to take a big step towards wrapping the game up through Rowe, who had, again, found space, but his left foot shot  was dragged agonisingly wide of the far post.
Then, Milne caused even more problems off the right wing, beating two defenders and laying off to Dunn, whose shot from distance was again over the bar. Gill got through again for Gullane, and got a a good shot away, but Flapan pulled off another good save to deny him.
Smyth found space again for Colts,letting fly from 15 yards, but he failed to trouble Aitken, who happily watched it sail past his post.
There was enough time for Rowe to have one more shot, which was close once more, but just over, before the half-time whistle blew.
The second half began in much the same way that the first had, with neither side creating much of note, save for Queen’s effort from distance that beat Flapan, but also the post.
Gill had a try, but his shot was saved comfortably.
Then, Gill got through again, making no mistake this time by smashing home, but looked over to see the linesman’s raised flag for offside.
They came on the counter-attack this time, with Gill threading it in to Ben Holm, who tried to place his shot, but it was just over.
Gullane won a free kick, which Robbie Sinclair took, and managed to get on target, but Flapan saved without too much difficulty.
Because both teams knew the importance of the next goal, which neither side wanted to concede, the game became a lot less open, and long hoofs up the pitch became increasingly common.
After a tense, cautious few minutes, a miscommunication between Flapan, trying to clear, and Cameron Buchanan resulted in Flapan gifting the ball straight to Gullane, whose attack resulted in a penalty being giving when the ball hit a stray hand in the area. Sinclair, Gullane’s captain, took responsibility for taking, with a chance to bring his side right back into it. He struck it well, but too hard, getting underneath it, and sending it flying over.
Fortunately for him though, it didn’t make much difference, as Gullane piled forward and got their reward, finally. A cross came in from the right, and Cole Chapman-Liddell was there to stab home at the back post.
Now, we had a game on our hands. Gullane had been the better team for much of the half, and they were in with a shout here with just under 15 minutes to play.
Colts tried to kill off any hope they had, as Rowe tried with his right foot on this occasion, but Aitken made a routine save.
Aitken was called into action again, when Dunn managed to get one of characteristic long-range efforts on target, but was up to the task, gathering comfortably.
Gullane were still having much of the ball, but seemed to lack a killer instinct in the final third, and Colts were able to break up their attack before many of them became particularly dangerous.
They won another free-kick, this Ben Holm tried his luck, but blasted over the bar.
However, in throwing some many forward, they were leaving themselves more vulnerable on the break, and Colts attempted to take advantage when Smyth got free on the left, and crossed towards Rowe, who threw himself at it, brushing the ball with his studs, but not getting enough on it to turn it goalwards.
And they did make certain of victory with near-on the very last kick of the game. Although the manner in which it came was almost too cruel. Gullane tried to clear, but the ball was directed straight at Smyth, and ricocheted off him, and into the net. Gullane had come within inches of opening the scoring with a near exact copy of this goal right at the start of the game. 3-1.
And that was it. The full time whistle came, and Gullane were left heartbroken, but they had shown a spirited fightback to come very close to nicking it towards the end.
But, Colts had clung on, and would lift the Charles Kilvin cup.


Currie Star Colts
Gullane Athletic
1. Reuben Flapan
2. Ruthven Dunn
3. Cameron Buchanan
4. Daniel King
5. Cameron Lamont
6. Christopher Ramsey
7. Santosh Rowe
8. Charles Kentish
9. Sam Calder
10. James Gallagher
11. Fraser Kentish
13. Patrick Milne
14. Ben Smyth
15. Jamie Steven Alexander
16. Sean Garotti
17. Oliver Hean
1. Ollie Aitken
2. Angus Blacklock
3. Finn Chapman-Liddell
4. Arran McKay
5. Ben Holm
6. Jack Jarvis
7. Robbie Sinclair
8. Euan Corrie
9. Harvey Gill
10. Cole Chapman-Liddell
11. Callum Queen
12. James Purves
13. James Leslie
15. Dylan Waldman
16. Calum McNeill
Star Player
Currie Star Colts
Gullane Athletic
Santosh Rowe was an excellent outlet throughout the game, creating many opportunities, and he can count himself extremely unlucky not to get on the scoresheet on at least one occasion. He had confidence to shoot from almost anywhere, which is a very useful attribute to have, but he also knew when to pass and set up chances. He set up the vital second goal, which gave Gullane just too much of a mountain to climb in the second half.
Harvey Gill was the main outlet through which most of Gullane's attacks came. He could have scored several times, but for some good goalkeeping from Flapan. He worked hard, as illustrated by his rapid closing down of Flapan to put him under pressure, and, when the luck is with you, those types of chances end up cannoning into the back of the net, but luck was not with him, nor Gullane today.
Magic Moment
Currie Star Colts
Gullane Athletic
Milne's first goal. Regardless of whether or not he intended the ball to end up in the back of the net when he struck, he had beaten two defenders before even that. If it was a shot, it was a brilliant piece of skill to loft over Aitken, who was otherwise near-faultless in his performance in goal, and catch him ever so slightly off guard, and leave him unable to make up the ground required to sop the ball floating in.
Cole Chapman-Liddell's perfectly weighted through ball to Harvey Gill, which was very close to equalising for Gullane at a pivotal moment in the game. Gill and Gullane will be left to rue the fact that he couldn't convert. It is one of the hardest skills in football to get through balls right, as if there is slightly too little or too much on the ball, you can be made to look rather silly for attempting it, but Chapman-Liddell got this one absolutely right.

Latest from Isaac Browning

Related items

Login to post comments