Home My YFS

Dalkeith lift cup after thrashing Cavalry Park

Cavalry Park 0

Dalkeith Thistle 4

Bennett 11, 85, Rogan 14, Burrows 57 (p)
  • Sunday, 20 May 2018
  • New Dundas Park
  • Under 19´s
  • U19s League Cup
Dalkeith ran out dominant victors after taking the early ascendency in the game, and never relinquishing it. It was a cup final largely characterised by set pieces, the first of which came for Cavalry Park. After an uneventful opening 10 minutes, they won a free-kick after a foul in a promising position, but it was blazed well over the bar by Stuart Mackrell.
This seemed to spark Dalkeith into life, and, a few moments later, they were in. All of a sudden, thanks to a mix-up at the back, Michael Bennet was in on goal and made no mistake, slotting the ball calmly past keeper Scott Capaldi and into the far corner of the net. Dalkeith had the lead, and were determined not to give it up.
Now taking a commanding role in this contest, they went on the attack again, winning the first of their many free-kicks in a dangerous location, out on the Cavalry Park left, just outside the penalty area. Jack Burrows swung the ball into the back post. It looked for an instant as though he had put slightly too much on it, but Taylor Rogan leapt at the back post to send a powerful header into the top right corner, doubling Dalkeith’s advantage. Now with clear water ahead of Cavalry Park, Dalkeith began to relax into the game a little more.
The result was that the tempo slowed considerably, the game becoming a somewhat cagey affair, Dalkeith being content with their lead and Cavalry Park keen not to concede again in case the game got away from them.
Nevertheless, chances still came. Dalkeith won another free-kick, this time in a more central area, and once again Burrows stepped up to take. He shot low and powerful towards the bottom left corner, but Capaldi got down well and turned it round the post for a corner.
Finally, Cavalry Park began to show why they were in this cup final. Reece Wyllie broke free of the attentions of the Dalkeith defence, and went through, only to drag his right-footed shot past the far post.
At the other end, Burrows sent another free-kick whistling just over the bar. Minutes later, the ball broke to Bennet in the box, whose shot was well saved by Capaldi.
From another free-kick, this time for Cavalry Park and from 30 yards away, Mackrell had a shot, which was comfortably saved by Ross Coats in the Dalkeith goal.
From their next free-kick, Cavalry Park tried a slightly different approach. Oguican Yildrim attempted to thread a pass in behind the Dalkeith defence towards Jamie Weir, but just overhit it, allowing Coats to gather. It was interesting idea, and would have worked with slightly better execution.
Before the half came to an end, Dalkeith were on the attack again, but Morgan Rutherford’s shot, after he had beaten two defenders, was easily saved by Capaldi.
The half-time whistle blew, with the scoreline still unchanged to how it had been for much of the half, a comfortable two-goal lead for Dalkeith.
  • Half Time:
  • Cavalry Park
  • 0-2
  • Dalkeith Thistle
The game continued in much the same vein in the second half, with the occasional good spell of play for either side being broken up by one of a foul or an offside. That was the case for Cameron McBeth, for Dalkeith, when he thought he was clean through, but the linesman’s flag brought play back. The game now took a more scrappy turn, when both Cavalry Park’s Craig Swanston and McBeth were both shown yellow cards after each made a bad foul.
Then, as the game approached the hour mark, Dalkeith were handed a magnificent opportunity to all but seal the game, when Wyllie was adjudged to have been fouled in the penalty area, after a handball appeal was turned down just seconds earlier.
Burrows stepped up to take. And confidently dispatched the ball powerfully into the bottom left-hand corner. Capaldi did very well to get a hand to it, but it was not enough to take the ball from its course into the net. 3-0. Game over.
Now Dalkeith began to play more expansively. Bennet latched onto a superb through ball from Wyllie, but saw his shot saved by Capaldi.
Then Bennet returned the favour, placing an exquisite ball in behind the Cavalry Park defence to Wyllie, but Capaldi was equal to his shot again, turning it round the post for a corner.
Then Dalkeith won another free-kick in a wide area, much the same as the one that resulted in their second goal. Burrows swung the ball in, and this time Luca Crolla managed to get his head to it, but could not direct towards the goal, and the ball was cleared.
Yet another Dalkeith attack resulted in the ball coming to Burrows on the top of the box, but his attempt to place a shot went wide.
Then Burrows had another chance to double his personal tally when a free-kick was awarded just right of centre about 25 yards out, but he couldn’t generate enough power on his curling effort to cause much trouble to Capaldi, who saved easily.
The next chance fell to Wyllie, whose vicious shot stung the palms of a diving Capaldi, but stayed out.
By this point, Dalkeith were winning almost every midfield battle, with Cavalry Park seemingly resigned to their fate. McBeth won the ball in the middle of the Cavalry Park half, suddenly finding himself through on goal, but his tame shot was unbefitting of his uncompromising challenge to win the ball and powerful run on goal.
For the first time in quite a while, Cavalry Park went on the attack, winning a free kick, again in a good area, but Lewis Mackinnon’s shot was saved easily by Coats. It was actually at this point that Cavalry Park began to produce some of their best football of the entire match, resulting in Weir getting clean through on goal, but Coats was again able to save.
As Cavalry Park pressed, looking for a late consolation goal, they left themselves more open at the back. In fact, it was from a Dalkeith goal kick that the fourth came. Coats launched it forward, and Cavalry Park committed the cardinal sin of allowing the ball to bounce. Unfortunately for them, luck was not not their side, and the bounce took the ball over their defence, straight into the path of a grateful Bennet, who tucked home to cap a crushing win.
On another day, Dalkeith might have been punished for their wasting of several excellent chances, but, in truth, Cavalry Park never really looked like causing them many problems, being thoroughly beaten by a relentless Dalkeith in almost every aspect of the game. It would be Dalkeith Thistle that lifted the cup.
  • Full Time:
  • Cavalry Park
  • 0-4
  • Dalkeith Thistle


Cavalry Park
Dalkeith Thistle
1. Scott Capaldi
2. Lewis Semple
3. Craig Swanston
4. Bradley Anderson
6. Jamie Weir
7. Oguican Yildrim
9. Oisin Whelan
10. Tom Lacey
11. Stuart Mackrell
14. Duncan Terry
16. Kieran Savage
17. Lewis Mackinnon
18. Zach Davidson
20. Nfamara Sambou
22. Theo Brown
23. Daniel Mackinnon
1. Ross Coats
2. Taylor Rogan
3. Sam Devlin
4. Luca Crolla
5. Rhys Kerr
6. Cameron McBeth
7. Euan Mitchell
8. Jack Burrows
9. Michael Bennet
10. Reece Wyllie
11. Morgan Rutherford
12. Lucas Gibbons
15. Lee Linton
17. Brandon Monteith
19. Brodie Kennedy
Star Player
Cavalry Park
Dalkeith Thistle
Scott Capaldi preventing the scoreline from becoming embarrassing for Cavalry Park, making several fine saves throughout. There was little that he could have been expected to do about each of the four goals, and he kept making great saves even when the scoreline had put the game beyond his side’s reach.
Jack Burrows was constantly involved, all over the field, being the lynchpin around which many Dalkeith attacks developed. His well-taken penalty, never an easy task, all but ended the resistance of Cavalry Park, and sealed the game. He was an enforcer across the pitch, throughout.
Magic Moment
Cavalry Park
Dalkeith Thistle
Capaldi's excellent save from Burrows' low free kick kept Cavalry Park in the game and ensured that they fought on for at least a little longer.
When Michael Bennet opened the scoring for Dalkeith, it was just the boost the side needed in order to go on and control the game. The first few minutes had yielded little of note, and almost no chances for Dalkeith, but, even though he had not had the opportunity to make an attempt on goal yet, Bennet coolly took advantage of a defensive error by sending a perfect finish right into the corner.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments