Print this page

Penalty practice pays off for Edinburgh City

Hutchison Vale FC 2

O'Neill 51, Bryce 65

Edinburgh City Whites 2

Sedstrem 58, Edmonston 63
  • 2-2 AET (4-5 pens)

St. Mark’s Park, home to Craigroyston FC, played host to the U17 Victor Paris Cup Final between Hutchison Vale and Edinburgh City Whites. Despite falling behind early in the second half, City managed to fight back and, after prevailing on spot-kicks, they lifted the silverware.

Both sides came into the match on the back of very successful seasons. Hutchison Vale were looking to complete a cup double after lifting the Craig Gowan Memorial Trophy last week. Edinburgh City, however, had progressed to several regional cup finals and made the last four of the Scottish Cup and it was they who started brightest.

After only five minutes City won a free-kick just inside the Vale half. Ross Jamieson looked to float the ball into the packed penalty area; however, his miss-hit cross proved to be a dangerous effort, as Shea Dowie had to tip the ball over.

The first-half was not a classic with both sides cancelling each other out. Only a few half chances were created with Vale’s Nicholas Aitchison and, then, City’s Samuel Newman coming close.

On the stroke of half-time, Vale should have been in front. Aidan Cross delivered the ball for Leno De Gaetano; the midfielder brought the ball down well, however, he could only blaze over the bar from 12 yards out.

This effort brought the first-half to a close with both teams going in level.

The second half proved to be much more entertaining for the neutral, with both sides going for the win. Vale started the better of the two teams and were in front only five minutes after the break.

Fynlay Connor had possession in the middle of the park and found Aidan Cross on the wing. Cross composed himself to fire the ball across the goal line and Tyler O’Neill was on hand to tap into the back of the net.

Hutchison Vale’s opener started a crazy 20 minutes which saw a further three goals.

City responded excellently to falling behind and were level only minutes later. Jonathan Sedstrem raced into the box and after he, and his teammates, had a couple of efforts foiled by Shea Dowie, Sedstrem tucked the ball into the bottom corner to level up the game.

Just after the hour-mark, City took the lead. After winning a free-kick on the edge of the box, Liam Edmonston stepped up and curled the ball into the top left corner, sparking jubilant scenes amongst the City players.

However, Hutchison Vale didn’t let this goal impact on their good start to the second half and began to take control for the rest of normal time.

Firstly, Vale equalised after Leno De Gaetano collected possession inside the box. He laid the ball back to substitute Owen Bryce who controlled and smashed the ball into the roof of the net to level the scores once again.

Vale continued to control possession without creating too many chances; that was until ten minutes from time when Vale were very close to scoring the winner.

A long punt from Shea Dowie was allowed to reach Tyler O’Neill. He managed to control the ball and his lobbed effort came back off the crossbar before Thomas McLean pulled off an excellent stop to deny Fynlat Connor.

This proved to be the final effort of the second half, as the game headed for extra time.

Extra time continued the theme of Hutchison Vale pressure, and they came close just before half-time in extra time. A short free-kick from Steven King found Matthew Combe but his effort was brilliantly stopped by Thomas McLean.

Then, against the run of play, City came closest to scoring in extra time. A long ball from the City defence found Bjarnason and his volley was tipped around the post by Shea Dowie, as the game remained level.

There was one more chance in the second period of extra time as Vale pushed for the winner. Fynlay Connor broke into the box but his low shot was smothered by McLean and the game went to penalty kicks.

Hutchison Vale went ahead early on in the shootout with Fynlay Connor converting, before City’s Dean Burgess had his effort saved by Shea Dowie.

This lead would continue until the fifth set penalties when Tyler O’Neill had the chance to win the cup for Vale. His effort, however, was brilliantly saved by McLean before Blair Short scored his penalty to take the penalties to sudden death.

It was then the turn of Seamus Russell who saw his penalty saved which gave Alexander Marr the opportunity to win his side the match. Marr stepped up and his effort found the back of the net, despite Dowie getting a hand to it, and the City celebrations could begin.

Final Result: 2-2 AET (4-5 pens)


Hutchison Vale FC
Edinburgh City Whites
1. Shea Dowie
2. Nicholas Aitchison
3. Seamus Russell
4. Michael Reilly
5. Leno De Gaetano
6. Fynlay Connor
7. Owen Bryce
8. Matthew Combe
9. Tyler O'Neill
10. Matthew Dillon
12. Steven King
14. Kieran Sommerville
16. Arran Bathgate
18. Blair Ross
19. Aidan Cross
1. Thomas McLean
2. Ross Jamieson
3. Blair Short
4. Daniel Lennie
5. Mark Tennant
6. Joseph Healy
7. Cai MacDonald
8. Jonathan Sedstrem
9. Liam Edmonston
10. Dean Burgess
11. Samuel Newman
12. Eyvindur Bjarnason
14. Sonny Robertson
15. Alexander Marr
Star Player
Hutchison Vale FC
Edinburgh City Whites
Vale's star man was Fynlay Connor. He looked dangerous on the ball for the duration of the match and played a big part in the opening goal. Connor was very unlucky not to get on the scoresheet and, so, deserves the award.
The star man for Edinburgh City is their keeper, Thomas McLean. McLean made countless wonderful saves and kept his side in the match for long periods. McLean was also the hero of the shootout, saving two penalties, and as a result, he is the star man.
Magic Moment
Hutchison Vale FC
Edinburgh City Whites
Vale's magic moment was Owen Bryce's goal. His goal was an excellent piece of skill as he managed to rifle the ball into the roof of the net. It was probably the pick of the goals on the day, so wins the magic moment accolade.
The magic moment for City has to be Alexander Marr's winning penalty. After the goal went in, a massive pileup ensued as City celebrated winning the Victor Paris Cup.

Latest from Luke Shearer

Related items

Login to post comments