Home My YFS

Stirling Uni come from behind to lift SLFL challenge cup

University of Stirling 3

Devine 40

Tynecastle FC 1

Hall 69, McKeown 76, Brown 86
  • Tuesday, 22 May 2018
  • Ainslie Park
  • Under 20´s
  • SLFL Challenge cup

The University of Stirling scored three unanswered second half goals to come from behind and stun Tynecastle and lift the SLFL Under 20s challenge cup.

The first period was a fiesty one – although plenty of attacking intent, it wasn’t until the later stages of the half that real action kicked in.

Chances fell at both ends in the ealry stages: a couple of volleys wide of the target from Stirling and a header from Tynecastle attacker Robert Polson but none too troublesome for either keeper.

The first save of note came on 13 minutes when Craig Brown hit a low effort from the edge towards the far corner; but keeper Kyle Wilson was equal to it to turn behind at the expense of a corner.

Uni began to keep ahold of the ball well, comfortably playing out from the back past the Tynecastle press, and let the edinburgh side play more on the break.

And it was Tynie who were next to come close following a brillaint diagonal pass that sent Polson in behind; but the striker was denied by Alex Webb, who raced back to snuff out the danger.

Again it was Polson causing the problems for Stirling. The forward was breaking quickly on what looked to be a dangerous counter attack before he was brought down cynicaly by Callum Downie: and it’s fair to say it wasn’t the only time the referee had to dip into his pocket.

It was inside the final ten minutes of the first period when Tyler Huxford picked out Thomas Purves with a delicate pass over the top – and in the end a penalty was awarded for a handball by Webb, who was on the floor.

Huxford was the man to step up for Tynie, and the penalty was good: low, hard and towards the corner; but Owen Klijsen was down extremely quickly to beat the ball behind and keep the scores even.

However it didn’t take long for Tynecastle to create another chance and as the ball was slid into the path of Laurie Devine – he wasn’t going to miss. The attacker took his time with the chance to compse himself before guiding the ball past Klijsen with his left foot from close range to open the scoring on the stroke of half time.

  • Half Time:
  • University of Stirling
  • 0-1
  • Tynecastle FC

The second period started out as a slow burner but was sure to pick up as time went on. Fabian Borcz had a snap shot at one end before Reece Bernard got caught waiting too long in possession for Tynie on the break.

Eventually the equaliser did come for Uni through Kieran Hall. The striker was quickest to react to as Downie sliced the ball in his direction and despite not making the cleanest of connections he managed to guide the ball past Wilson to level.

It didn’t take lomg for them to turn the final on its head too. Following a set-piece, the ball trundled through to hall who stabbed an effort goalwards but was to be denied by an excellent close range save from Wilson.

Unfortunately for the keeper, it was Aidan McKeown who was quickest to react and bundle the ball over the line from close range and give Uni their first lead of the match.

Subsitutions played a key role in the match and none more so than that of Aidan Kemp, who added an extra element of creativity in the middle of the park for Stirling Uni. He helped keep things ticking along although chances were still to fall at both ends.

By this stage, Tynie knew they had to push men forwards. They went close through Polson again, following a tidy interchange on the left wing – but his effort was blocked.

The next chance fell the way of Uni, as David Lamond intercepted a loose ball in midfield, striding past two challenges and before slipping in Hall once again. The striker manouvered well to create a yard of space for himself to turn and fire; only to see his effort bounce off the top of the crossbar and behind for a goal kick.

The third goal came courtesy of a magnificent take down from Craig Brown after a poor kickout from the keeper. The attacker took the ball in his stride and his momentum left the defence in his wake him before he rifled the ball past Wilson to give Uni a firm grip on proceedings with less than ten to go.

Polson was to create one last chance for Tynecastle: he made the space for himself well on the right side of the box but was caught out wanting too much time as Thomas Clare was back to make the challenge as he was in the process of shooting.

Borcz could’ve rounded off the scoring in the final moments as he took down McKeown’s cross field pass and drove in on goal; but his effort dribbled just wide of the far corner from the angle.

 They took a while to get going, but in the end it is the University of Stirling who win the SLFL Under 20s challenge cup again. Joy for them, and commiserations to Tynecastle who matched them for long periods of the game, but it was not to be.

  • Full Time:
  • University of Stirling
  • 3-1
  • Tynecastle FC


University of Stirling
Tynecastle FC
1. Owen Klijsen
2. Alex Webb
3. Aidan McKeown
4. Jack Mooney
5. Callum Downie
6. Angus Mailer
7. David Lamond
8. Enchain Miller
9. Kieran Hall
10. Fabian Borcz
11. Craig Brown
12. Sean Watt
14. Aidan Kemp
15. Aaron McKinlay
16. Josh Coates
17. Callum Bremner
18. Thomas Clare
21. Andrew Downie
1. Kyle Wilson
2. Joshua Fital
4. Todd Teviotdale
5. Cameron Liddle
6. Greg Redmond
7. Reece Bernard
8. Tyler Huxford
9. Robert Polson
11. Laurie Devine
12. Joseph Beaton
14. Fraser Martin
15. Murat Dag
16. Ali Samara
25. Robert Watt
Star Player
University of Stirling
Tynecastle FC
Kieran Hall was the main man for the Universiy of Stirling, The striker caused problems for Tynecastle’s back four all evening and was unlucky not to add to his goal when his effort came off the crossbar.
Robert Polson was the key player for Tynecastle. The forward constantly got himself into dangerous positons and there were numerous occasions on whch he came come to netting, while also linking up well with his teammates too.
Magic Moment
University of Stirling
Tynecastle FC
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments