Home My YFS

SPFL Development League Round Up - 09/04/18

Written by 
Aberdeen 0-1 Dundee
Dundee moved to the top of the SPFL Development League temporarily as they produced a great performance to beat fellow title contenders Aberdeen 1-0 at Station Park.
It took just 15 minutes for the young Dee to take the lead after Craig Wighton bombed forward from his own half and played the ball through to the prolific Cedwyn Scott, who knocked the ball past Archie Mair for the lead.
The Dons had a large shout for a penalty on the hour mark when Dundee goalkeeper Callum Ferrie clashed with Sam Cosgrove, but after a lengthy discussion with his assistant, referee Chris Fordyce decided not to award the spot-kick and Dundee left with a valuable win.
Falkirk 1-2 Hibernian
Hibernian had to come from behind, but still managed to reclaim top spot in the Development League table with a 2-1 win away to bottom side Falkirk.
The Bairns went into the game with the odds stacked firmly against them, yet still took the lead in the game when Scott Shepherd was picked out in the box and fired a shot out of the reach of Maciej Dabrowski.
Hibs were level just shy of the half-hour mark through Ryan Porteous’ header and the Hibees scored the decisive winner 15 minutes from time when Oli Shaw held the ball up well for Danny Swanson to fire past Robbie Mutch for the win.
Dundee United 0-6 Ross County
It was disaster for Dundee United at St. Andrews University as they were humbled 6-0 by a brilliant Ross County side.
County opened the scoring on after 20 minutes through Kyle Johnson and doubled their lead five minutes after the restart with Tony Dingwall.
Davis Keillor-Dunn added a third ten minutes later before Matthew Wright scored his first goal for the County Development squad. A fifth and sixth were added late on to compound the Terrors’ misery.
Hamilton Accies 1-3 Motherwell
It was Motherwell who walked out winners in the junior Lanarkshire derby, beating Accies 3-1 at the Superseal Stadium as Hamilton were made to rue two penalty misses.
The home side were awarded their first penalty five minutes from half-time, but Ryan Tierney’s effort was held by Peter Morrison. Motherwell took the lead 10 minutes into the second half as Shea Gordon played in Alfredo Agyeman, who cut the ball back to James Scott who slotted home.
Five minutes later, Accies had another opportunity to score from the spot, but Ronan Hughes blazed his shot over the bar. They were level three minutes later though through Ross Cunningham.
The Well retook the lead when a cross from Jack Hastie eventually fell to David Turnbull to slot home at the back post. Turnbull then added his second from the spot to seal the game for Motherwell.
Kilmarnock 0-2 St Mirren
Kilmarnock were unable to put their Scottish Youth Cup loss against Aberdeen behind them, as they were beaten 2-0 at home to St Mirren.
The Saints took the lead in the second half, when Cameron MacPherson played in Conor O’Keefe, who in turn crossed the ball into the path of Matthew Reilly to slot home.
Kilmarnock were pushing players forward in search of an equaliser and St Mirren took advantage of this to settle the game with their second goal, with Cameron Bredner running through to slot the ball past Ross Miller.
Partick Thistle 0-3 Celtic
Celtic prepared for their Scottish Youth Cup semi-final against Hibernian on Thursday with a 3-0 win in the Glasgow derby against Partick Thistle. The Bhoys opened the scoring in the second half when Broque Watson’s blocked shot fell to Jack Aitchison, who fired home.
The second came with just 15 minutes remaining. It came through another impressive period of play from Watson who squared the ball over to Ciaran Diver, who placed the ball comfortably into the net.
And it was three, five minutes from time when a looping ball was well controlled by Kerr McInroy, who fired past Jamie Stevenson with ease.
Login to post comments