Home My YFS

Clinical City Seal Place in the Semi-Final

Edinburgh City 2

Elliott 30, Munro 64

Spartans FC Youth 1

Morrison 65
  • Tuesday, 04 February 2014
  • -
  • Under 13´s
  • Ken Ritchie Cup
A disciplined defensive performance from Edinburgh City secured their spot in the semi-final of the Ken Ritchie Cup following a smash and grab a 2-1 victory over Spartans FC Youth. Goals from Jamie Elliott and Lewis Munro cancelled out Jake Morrison’s late strike as City secured their second semi-final of the season.
The teams are battling it out for fifth place in the Southeast Region 1st Division with only 3 points splitting the sides as City currently edge their opposition.
Spartans began the tie the brighter of the two sides and were unlucky to not be ahead in the sixth minute as Finlay Croall evaded two challenges inside the box, however, a great last-ditch block from Connor Leask ensured the score remained 0-0.
This seemed to act as a wake-up call to the Meadowbank side as they slowly began to come into the game with Munro doing well in the middle of the park to link defence and attack. The game carried on like this with both sides cancelling each other out in midfield before a long ball over the top released Spartans’ Edward Murray who beat his man and played it across to Morrison who thought he’d given his side the lead but was judged to be in an offside position by the referee.
As the half went on, Spartans began to start dominating again but despite having the ball in the City final third for long spells, they struggled to create any clear chances until in the 24th minute Murray was once again freed down the left wing and cut it back to Morrison who played a backheel into the path of Croall whose low shot was saved well by Bruce Mackenzie in the City net.
City were doing well to hold out the Spartans attack and in the 30th minute, Mackenzie’s long clearance fell into the path Elliott who struck it past the helpless Adam Cooper into the bottom right corner to give his side 1-0 lead albeit against the run of play.
As the half drew to a close, Spartans launched one final attack and following some good team play, Murray crossed the ball in towards the front post where it was judged to have struck a City hand and Spartans were awarded a penalty.
Morrison stepped up to take the spot kick but his effort was expertly saved by Mackenzie and the rebound from Hamish Tully sailed over the bar.
  • Half Time:
  • Edinburgh City
  • 1-0
  • Spartans FC Youth
The second half began like the first finished and Lewis Skene quickly won possession at the edge of the box and went for goal, however his shot was just past the post and City survived another wave of attack.
A few minutes later and Spartans were on the attack again. Murray and Morrison played an excellent one-two with the latter tapping it in, once again, however, Murray was judged to be in an offside position following the initial pass and the score remained 1-0 to Edinburgh City.
As the half went on, the game became more even and City came close to doubling their advantage when Riley Haston looked to capitalize on a long ball forward, however, some excellent last-ditch defending by Lachlan McMillan ensured the deficit remained at one.
Spartans again were struggling to create any clear opportunities as City continued to break up their play but following some good one-touch passing some space opened up at the edge of the for Morrison who struck the ball well but it clipped the bar and was out for a goal kick.
As the game hit the hour mark, Croall once again drove through the City defence and looked certain to grab his side the equaliser but MacKenzie was down to his left sharply to pull off an outstanding save and back up quickly to grab the rebound.
Spartans began to push more players forward in search of the elusive goal but following a long ball to Munro, the Ainslie Park side found themselves short at the back. The midfielder continued to drive forward and smashed the ball into the top left from 22 yards to double his side's advantage in the 64th minute.
The game wasn't done yet, however. The ball was played delicately over the top into the path Croall whose shot beat MacKenzie but rebounded off the post. Spartans quickly regained possession and it was worked out wide to Rory Shaw who beat his man and played it across goal to Morrison who tapped in from close range to give his side a lifeline in the 66th minute.
There was to be no late comeback though for the Spartans side as the referee blew his whistle following a strong defensive performance by Edinburgh City.
Throughout this tie, both sides showed their separate qualities. Spartans moved the ball excellently at times but struggled to pull off the final ball on occasions. Edinburgh City soaked up the pressure with well-structured play and hit Spartans on the counter as they advanced to the Semi Final of the competition.
  • Full Time:
  • Edinburgh City
  • 2-1
  • Spartans FC Youth


Edinburgh City
Spartans FC Youth
1.Bruce MacKenzie
15. Ryan Balloch
19. James Clare
8. Aiden Dewar
14. Aaron Fraser
18. Cameron Gilmour
7. Jamie Elliott
3. Mitchell Markham
9. Shaun Napier
16. Lewis Munro
2. Danny Turnbull
6. Connor Leask
4. Rory Drummond
20. Riley Haston
17. Finn Grant
1. Adam Cooper
31. Lachlan McMillan
41. Hamish Tully
28. Jamie Cain
24. Rhuaidhri Manning
20. Callum Swanson
34. Skene Russell
13. Edward Murray
54. Jake Morrison
39. Max Reynolds
9. Toby Edwin
37. Ben Struthers
53. Finlay Croall
32. Rory Shaw
50. Harry Cusiter
Star Player
Edinburgh City
Spartans FC Youth
The City ‘keeper made save after save and commanded his box all game.
The Spartans midfielder was at the centre of everything good and was unlucky to not score from the spot.
Magic Moment
Edinburgh City
Spartans FC Youth
Lewis Munro’s winning strike was a rocket from outside the box that left the ‘keeper with no chance.
An excellent team move in the 24th minute that was deserving of a goal.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments