Home My YFS

SPFL Development League Round Up - 02/04/18

Written by 
Things are really starting to heat up in the SPFL Development League as teams at both ends of the table made serious moves and earned vital results.
Let's have a look at all the Development League action from the 2nd April:
Celtic 1-1 Hibernian
League leaders Hibernian dropped points yesterday as they were held to a 1-1 draw away to Celtic at Cappielow Park. The draw was welcomed by the end of the game for the Hibees, who saw Sean Mackie sent off within three minutes after a challenge on Grant Savoury.
Despite this it was the Edinburgh side who took the lead eight minutes into the second half, when Lewis Allan capitalised on some slack play by the Celtic defence to charge forward and slide the ball under on-rushing 'keeper Ryan Mullen.
It wasn't until the 79th minute when Celtic found their equaliser, when Thomas Caffrey squared the ball towards Broque Watson to slot past Martin in the Hibs goal and open the door for Dundee and Aberdeen to close the gap on the leaders later in the day.
Dundee 3-0 Hamilton Accies
Dundee secured their eighth straight win in the Development League as they eased past Hamilton Accies by three goals to nil. The Dee opened the scoring in the second half through centre-back Julen Extabeguren, who converted Jack Lambert's corner.
Shortly after the Dens Park side doubled their lead through Cedwyn Scott who latched on to Lambert's blacked shot, giving the Accies 'keeper no chance.
The Dee coompleted their victory when Scott saw his initial shot saved, only to have the ball find it's way to substitute Max Anderson who had the simple task of poking the ball home to secure the three points and close the gap on leaders Hibs to just one.
Ross County 1-1 Aberdeen
Aberdeen missed the opportunity to close the gap on league leaders Hibernian as they were held to a 1-1 in Dingwall to Ross County. The result means that if Aberdeen win their game in hand, they will remain two points behind the Hibees.
County took the lead in the match 25 minutes in when a contraversial handball decision by the referee awarded the Staggies a free-kick which in turn was brilliantly dispatched by Ross MacIver.
The Dons equalised just before the interval when Ethan Ross sent a corner kick into the near post which completely wrong-footed County goalkeeper Mark Foden, who could only touch the ball into the back of the net.
Falkirk 1-2 Dundee United
Despite the narrow scoreline Dundee United walked out of their match against Falkirk as comfortable winners, though great credit will go to United centre-back Luc Bollan for a vital block just before half-time.
The Terrors opened the scoring ten minutes after the restart through Jake Davidson, who got a great connection on Logan Chalmers' corner. They doubled their lead shortly after when Luc Bollan headed home an inviting Kieran Inglis cross.
Reis Peggie pulled one back for Falkirk but it was too little, too late for the Bairns as they fell to the bottom of the league.
St Johnstone 3-2 Kilmarnock
St Johnstone ended up on the winning side of a five goal thriller at McDairmid Park as they beat Kilmarnock 3-2 in Perth. The Saints took the lead after just eight minutes when Ally McCann fired home from close range.
Two minutes before half-time they had doubled their lead, when a corner into the box from Kyle McClean was headed in by Jack Wilson. Killie pulled one back on the 72nd minute through a deflected Oliver McDonald free-kick.
Saints restored their two goal advantage 10 minutes later through Cameron Ballantyne, before Killie pulled one back in stoppage time courtesy of a Innes Cameron penalty.
St Mirren 1-0 Partick Thistle
St Mirren had Myles Hippolyte to thank yesterday as his first-half strike was enough to secure the three points for the Paisley side as they edged past Partick Thistle.
The winning goal came two minutes from half-time when Hippolyte picked up on a clearance and then produced a stunning loop over Jamie Stevenson to give the Buddies the lead at the interval.
Partick's best chance of an equaliser came in the 69th minute when a shot from Aiden Fitzpatrick had Chris Henry in the St Mirren goal scrambling, only for the effort to go just wide.
Login to post comments