Print this page

Hibs progress despite Celtic comeback heroics

Celtic FC 2

Reid (55’), Hart (58’)

Hibernian FC 5

Gibb (16’), Hay (50’), Friend (84’), Bowie (87’, 91’)
  • Celtic FC 2-5 Hibernian Girls (AET)

Hibs struck three times in extra time to progress into the Scottish Youth Cup final after a second half comeback produced by Celtic. Hibs led at half time after Caley Gibb converted a chance received over the top in the 16th minute. The Hibees doubled their lead after the break when Amy Hay shot hit off the post and in during the 50th minute.

Celtic got themselves back in the game however, strikes from Ellie Jai Reid and Holly Hart in the 55th and 58th minute respectfully meant the tie when into extra time. Despite great performances from both sides, Phoebe Friend gave Hibs the lead once again in the 84th minute before Tegan Bowie bagged herself a brace in the final stages of the game.

The scoring got underway for Hibs in the 16th minute. Anna Dickov sent a ball in over the top to Gibb who tapped the ball under the keeper. As the ball creeped towards the left side of goal, Bowie approached the ball ready to tap it into a vacant net, however, carefully judged the situation by not making contact as she was in an offside position. The goal was subsequently awarded to Gibb as Hibs lead first in the semi-final.

Celtic had a chance to level things soon after as Reid forced Hibs keeper, Mia Smith to make a save in 22nd minute. Reid managed to get a shot away on the right side of goal with the ball looking like it were arriving at the near post until Smith dived low to halt the effort from entering the net.

The side from Glasgow had another opportunity to get themselves back into the game shortly before the break as Hart was through on goal in the 31st minute. The Hibs defence was racing back to catch Hart as she took the ball past the keeper on the right side but her touch that followed was too strong as she couldn’t get on the end of it to slot the ball into the empty net, the Hibs defence then regained possession and cleared away the dangerous effort.

As the Hoops chased an equaliser after the break, they were handed another setback as Hibs netted their second of the match in the 50th minute. Eve Macfadden did well to hold up the ball on the left-hand side of the penalty box before squaring the ball to Hay, central of goal. Hay’s shot struck off the left post but deflected into the net, giving her side a two-goal lead.

Nevertheless, Celtic continued to fight back and their efforts were rewarded as Reid brought one back in the 55th minute. Having won a free kick 15 yards from goal on the left-hand side of goal, Reid struck the ball with precision as it flew into the top right-hand corner of the net, putting Celtic back in the game.

It only took three minutes longer for Celtic to level the shares thanks to the efforts of Hart in the 58th minute. After a receiving a pass from Megan Wands on the left, Hart chipped the ball over the charging keeper with the ball arriving at the opposite side of goal.

With the game now in a deadlock, the game proceeded to extra time to see which team had the cutting-edge finish to find a winner. 

With only a handful of chances to account for in the first half of extra time, in was the following 10-minute half that decided the cup finalist.

Hibs regained their lead once again in the 84th minute after they had won a corner. The ball was swung into the box from the right-hand side of goal by Hay and was met by Friend at the near post, slotting the ball home. Celtic keeper, Billie Aitken managed to get a touch on the effort but it wasn’t enough to stop the ball entering the back of the net.

Celtic again found themselves in the situation of chasing an equaliser, pressing Hibs and attempting to create any chance they could. As a result, they found themselves exposed on the counter as the Edinburgh side netted a fourth in the 87th minute. Despite having played for the entirety of the match, Bowie found a burst of energy as she swiftly beat the opposition defence with the ball proceeding to be one on one with the keeper. Bowie shot towards the right-hand side of goal and while the Celtic keeper, Aitken got a touch to it, the effort was too powerful to keep out.

Just moments later, Bowie found herself in a state of déjà vu as she replicated the same run to create Hibs’ fifth in the 91st minute. With defenders unable to compete with Bowie’s pace, the Hibs girl ran into the left side of the penalty box before finishing high towards the near post corner, securing herself a brace and Hibs’ place in an Edinburgh derby cup final.

Final Result: Celtic FC 2-5 Hibernian Girls (AET)


Celtic FC
Hibernian FC
1 Billie Aitlen
2 Natasha Hoole
4 Eilidh Zara Milligan
5 Chloe Forrest
7 Mirin Easdon
11 Abby Skelton
12 Jodie Bell
14 Holly Hart
15 Machaela MacLeod
19 Rebecca McAillister
21 Ellie Jai Reid
3 Darcy James Tobin
6 Megan Lee
10 Megan Wands
13 Alicia McEnhill
17 Emily Miller
20 Lucy Sullivan
1 Mia Smith
2 Jessica Jayne Smith
3 Hannah Duncan
4 Charlotte McDougall
5 Robyn McCafferty
6 Amy Hay
7 Eve MacFadden
8 Caley Gibb
9 Eilidh Adams
10 Anna Dickov
11 Tegan Bowie
20 Phoebe Friend
22 Carys Grieve
Star Player
Celtic FC
Hibernian FC
Celtic’s star player was Ellie Jai Reid. Disregarding the final result, Ellie was a delight to watch for spectators during her side’s clash with Hibs. Ellie showcased real leadership and led by example on Celtic’s quest to level the scoring in the match, herself bagging Celtic’s first goal from an impressive and pin point free kick. It can be disappointing losing a match that your team has fought so much to get back into things, however, there are plenty of positives that Ellie can personally take from her own performance.
Hibs’ star player was Amy Hay. A goal and assist on the day for the Hibs player, her contribution from start to finish was nothing short of impressive. Comfortable to take players on, Amy grew with confidence as they game progressed as she should be looking to replicate her performance against Celtic when her team faces an Edinburgh rival as it could lead to a positive result for Hibs.
Magic Moment
Celtic FC
Hibernian FC
Celtic’s magic moment was their first goal from Ellie Jai Reid in the 55th minute. Not only did the goal get Celtic back into the game but the standard of the free kick itself was excellent. Perfectly placed in the top corner meant the keeper had no chance of saving it and the passion from the girls that followed pushed them on to grab an equaliser moments later.
Hibs’ magic moment was when they regained their lead in extra time thanks to Phoebe Friend strike in the 84th minute. While the awareness to get on the end of the cross was impressive, it was the celebrations that followed that made this moment special. You could tell how much game meant to the girls and the idea of playing in a cup final was something worth fighting for.

Latest from David Ronney

Related items

Login to post comments