Home My YFS

Hutchie seal cup win with extra-time goal

Tynecastle FC 1

Shore 10'

Hutchinson Vale FC 2

Gordon 80', Hunter 100'
  • 2-1
  • Thursday, 11 May 2017
  • New Dundas Park
  • Under 15´s
  • Federation of Hearts Supporters Final
Gregor Kerr

Gregor Kerr | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]thfootballscotland.co.uk

New Dundas Park once again played host to cup final, as a late Hutchinson Vale goal in injury time sent the game into extra time, where they proved to be winners on an eventful Thursday night in Bonnyrigg.

The match started somewhat cagey - unsurprisingly given the importance of the match - and the first opening proved to be the first goal in the 10th minute for Tynecastle. A quick passing move involving Steven Shore, Ivan Alapiki and Kieran Ngwenya saw the ball arrive at the feet of Shore, who struck a lovely controlled shot into the far corner, well beyond the reach of the goalkeeper and opened the scoring.

The goal seemed to spark life into the game, and the lead nearly increased just a minute later when Ngwenya tried his luck from distance and saw his effort strike off the bar, with the Hutchie goalkeeper completely beaten.

Vale went up the other end and caused some danger of their own, Kieron Rafferty did well on the byline to gain a yard and deliver a teasing low ball into the box, causing chaos in the Tynie defence. Ultimately though Aaron Heap managed to collect the ball safely.

Hutchie began to put pressure on their opponents as the first half progressed, with a golden opportunity arriving in the 32nd minute for them. Brandon Hunter whipped in an inviting ball towards the back post where Brodie McNab was waiting, the goal looked like a formality but somehow he managed to miss the target from close range.

Three minutes later they had another great chance to grab an equaliser as a deep cross arrived to Luke McLean at the back post, however, the pace of the ball seemed to put him off, as he failed to adjust his feet in time and missed the target.

Despite being on top at that stage, Hutchie’s goalkeeper, Dean Beveridge, had to be alert just a minute before the half-time whistle, when Alapiki played in Ngwenya for a one-on-one. Beveridge was quick enough to rush off his line and smother the shot, leaving the score at 1-0 going into the interval.

  • Half Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 1-0
  • Hutchinson Vale FC

Shore had the first chance in the second-half four minutes after the restart after Alapki’s lay-off, but the strike that followed was straight at the goalkeeper.

Chances in the second-half were few and far between, although there was a great one on 63 minutes. McLean was played through on goal and a Vale equaliser looked certain, but he hesitated and gave Heap a chance to deny him from close range, tipping the wall wide for a corner. Seconds later, Heap was called back into action to hold onto a deflected shot from Liam Boal.

With three minutes remaining Hutchinson Vale were piling on the pressure, hardly giving Tynie a chance to breathe. With time running out the game looked to be out of their reach, until a penalty was awarded for an alleged handball, a huge call at a crucial time in the cup final.

Unbelievably, Heap produced a wonderful save to claw the ball away and leave his side just minutes away from cup glory. The drama wasn’t finished there however.

Right on 80 minutes, as Hutchie looked to be dead and buried, a wonderfully floated cross from a free-kick found Jonny Gordon who was arriving at the back post. From just a few yards out he made no mistake, and sparked wild scenes from his coaches and teammates alike heading the ball into the net. With just seconds remaining the game was heading into extra-time in the most dramatic fashion.

  • Full Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 1-1
  • Hutchinson Vale FC
Extra-time proved to be somewhat uneventful, as both sides seemed physically, and possibly mentally tired from the chaos towards the end of normal time. It was going to require a piece of magic to separate the teams, and with penalties ten minutes away, it was Hutchie who produced it. A fine long ball found the intelligent run of Brandon Hunter, and with the keeper rushing out, he was able to lift it over him and into the net, hitting the post on the way in; a real display of composure. It proved to be the winning goal as Vale saw off the ensuing Tynecastle pressure, and secured their place as cup winners.

Youth Football Scotland: Website Photos 16/17 &emdash;

Final Result: 2-1


Tynecastle FC
Hutchinson Vale FC
1. Aaron Heap
2. Jack Gammie
3. Luke Wilkie
4. Josh Winnik
5. Scott Jardine
6. Jacques Crane
7. Scott Hunter
8. Evan Scott
9. Jack Carr
10. Ivan Alapiki
11. Kieran Ngwenya
12. Kyle Robertson
14. Steven Shore
15. Blair Ramage
16. Ross Watson
17. Dean Murray
18. Robbie Neave
19. Aaron Matheson
1. Dean Beveridge
2. Rory Grant
3. Ben Reilly
4. Jonny Gordon
5. Jamie Crawford
6. Niall Tonner
7. Cameron Fraser
8. Brandon Hunter
9. Kieron Rafferty
10. Luke McLean
11. Fletcher Hendry
12. James Gordon
13. Murray Wheeler
14. Jamie Robinson
15. Liam Boal
16. Blair Houston
17. Brodie McNab
18. Josh Redmond
Star Player
Tynecastle FC
Hutchinson Vale FC
Steven Shore may have been one of the smallest players on the pitch, but he made one of the biggest impacts on the match; opening the scoring and looking a large threat all game.
Fletcher Hendry pulled the strings in midfield all day for Vale and looked capable of unlocking the defence.
Magic Moment
Tynecastle FC
Hutchinson Vale FC
The opening goal from Shore was a lovely strike and set the tone for the game early on.
There aren't many moments more magic than scoring in the last minute of the cup final, and that's exactly what Jonny Gordon done with a late, late header.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments