Home My YFS

Leith Athletic end Dyce dream to secure Scottish Cup semi final spot

Dyce BC 0

Leith Athletic FC 3

Ramage 1, 68, McMurdo 66
  • Sunday, 05 February 2017
  • Dyce Astro
  • Under 14´s
  • inspiresport SYFA Cup - Quarter Final

Claire Gulline | YFS Aberdeen Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Despite the driving rain, Dyce BC met Leith Athletic FC in the Scottish Cup quarter-final at Dyce Astro. In a competitive fixture, it was the Edinburgh-based side who secured their place in the semi-final with a 3-0 win. Thomas Ramage scored two of his team’s goals, with Rhys McMurdo also adding his name to the score sheet.
Leith could not have got off to a better start, pressing from the start through Strathy Mackay who drove the ball into the box. While Dyce tried to clear the danger, Thomas Ramage ran into the box and tapped the ball in from close range to open the scoring in the first minute.
The visitors continued to press, and Ramage drove forward and sent the ball inside to Rhys McMurdo who fired the ball just wide from the edge of the box.
Josh Byres made the first attack for the home side, breaking down the wing and sending the ball into the box from wide to the right but Lewis Owens headed it clear before Robbie Urquhart could run on to it.
Leith were soon on the attack again, and John Ward ran on to a promising ball in the box but it was smothered by Dyce goalkeeper, Harry Cowie.
Kacper Lewecki and Kyle Murphy linked well for Dyce to drive forward but Murphy’s shot from the edge of the box was caught by Leith goalkeeper, Jamie Smith.
The visitors were awarded a free kick twenty-five yards out. Owens sent the ball over the defensive wall but it was pushed over the crossbar by Cowie.
Reis Webster put the ball through to Byres who shot from twenty-eight yards but his shot went just wide.
End-to-end play continued, as Leith threatened again. Ramage shot from twenty yards and wide to the right but Cowie juggled to keep the ball out.
Dyce were looking dangerous again and earned a corner. Lewecki sent the ball into the box where it was headed clear by Ramage. However Byres followed up but his shot from thirty yards struck the crossbar and went over.
Ramage linked well with Ben Murray as they drove forward with some interchanging play. Ramage then put the ball out wide to Cameron Kerr who shot from twenty yards and wide to the right but it was cleared by Dyce’s defence, who were holding well after conceding the early goal.
It was the home side who were to have the last say of the half, with Lewecki running onto the ball and firing it into the box where it was headed clear by Ward. Dyce were awarded the corner and Ethan Walker sent the ball into the box where Webster challenged but it was headed clear by Mark Gibson.
  • Half Time:
  • Dyce BC
  • 0-1
  • Leith Athletic FC
As the second half got underway, Dyce showed their intent as Webster lured Smith out from his goal but the Leith defence swept into the box and had the numbers to clear the danger. Webster continued to exert pressure and shot from thirty yards but could not hit the target.
The home side had another chance from a free kick at twenty-five yards. Walker sent the ball into the box but Dylan Cumming nudged it just wide.
End-to-end play ensued as a promising Dyce attack was closed down by Leith’s Mackay who linked well with Murray to press forward. However before they were able to make a shot, Lewecki stole possession and drove play to the other end once again but could not find the opening he was looking for.
The visitors looked dangerous for the first time in the second half when Kerr made a break down the wing and sent the ball inside to McMurdo but Dyce held their defence to clear the danger before McMurdo could take a shot.
However Leith soon extended their lead when McMurdo found the back of the net from a free kick at twenty-five yards in the sixty-sixth minute.
Dyce had a free kick at twenty-two yards which Cumming sent into the box but it was headed clear to deny their chance.
Leith then secured their place in the sixty-eighth minute when Ramage broke down the wing and drove inside before shooting from twenty-five yards, sending the ball over the hands of Cowie and into the back of the net.
The home side had one chance to test the skill of Leith’s replacement goalkeeper, Jack Leslie, with a free kick from twenty-five yards but Cumming sent the ball into Leslie’s hands before the final whistle.
  • Full Time:
  • Dyce BC
  • 0-3
  • Leith Athletic FC


Dyce BC
Leith Athletic FC
1. Harry Cowie
2. Fraser Allan
3. Eli Whitelaw
4. Rhys Clark
5. Kyle Murphy
6. Reis Webster
7. Ethan Walker
8. Josh Byres
9. Kacper Lewecki
10. Robbie Urquhart
11. Jay Stockton
12. Dylan Cumming
14. Lee Taggart
15. Matteo Carlier
16. Jack McCormick
17. Coby Stewart
1. Jamie Smith
2. Cameron Kerr
3. Daniel Turner
4. Cameron Stewart
5.Ewan Howie
6. Adam Zajac
8. Lewis Owens
9. Ben Murray
10. John Ward
11. Rhys McMurdo
12. Strathy Mackay
14. Mark Gibson
15. Thomas Ramage
16. Rory Hunter
18. Joe Leitch
21. Jack Leslie
Star Player
Dyce BC
Leith Athletic FC
Josh Byres had an excellent game, proving to be a constant attacking threat and exerting pressure in defence when necessary.
All of Leith’s defenders played outstandingly well to close down Dyce attacks, particularly Ward and Gibson, who made some fantastic clearances.
Magic Moment
Dyce BC
Leith Athletic FC
Dyce had numerous chances throughout the game but could not find the goal they were looking for. Their best chance came through Byres’ shot from thirty yards which rattled the crossbar.- an impressive strike.
Leith would have been delighted to open the scoring so early in the game after hassling to win the ball but Ramage’s goal in the sixty-eighth minute was well worked and put their place in the semi-final beyond doubt.
Club Views
Dyce BC
Leith Athletic FC
I spoke with Jamie Clark, head coach of Dyce BC, who said, "I thought the boys played really well today. We didn't take our chances in front of the goal and Leith punished us for it- that's the way it goes in football sometimes. We were pushing for goals but Leith took a couple of chances at the end, and it's a hard lesson in life."

On their aims for the rest of the season, he said, "The aim was always just to go for the league. That's all our aim has ever been. If we'd won today, it would have been great to have a Scottish Cup run but now we'll dust ourselves off and turn our attention back to the league."
I spoke with Steven Burgess, one of the coaches at Leith Athletic FC, who said, "To be honest, I think we could have performed better. I don't think a 3-0 result reflects the score. I think Dyce were very unlucky with the first goal. They were very well organised, a good team to watch, so I think we were very lucky to come away with a 3-0 win."

On their aims for the rest of the season, he said, "We're doing quite well in the league. The Scottish Cup is just a bonus. We have another quarter-final as well so we'll try and win some silverware like last year. The Scottish Cup is just an adventure to be honest with you but we're doing well."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments