Home My YFS

Leith hit the goal trail on way to semi-final

Peebles FC 2

Pickburn 18, Rhys MacDonald 65

Leith Athletic 9

Watt 7, 46, McDonald 20, Aitchison 52, 64, OG 56, Connor Young 58, 66, Jordan Young 70
  • Sunday, 04 December 2016
  • Kerfield Park, Peebles
  • Under 13´s
  • SPORTSassist South East Region Cup
Blair Meikle

Blair Meikle | YFS Scottish Borders Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

A resounding victory over Peebles saw Leith Athletic into the semi-final of the SPORTSassist South East Region Cup, where they will face Tynecastle for a shot at glory.

They were worthy of it and always looked like winning, but Peebles hung in well before the Leithers ran away with it in the final 20 minutes.

It only took them seven minutes to register thanks to Brodie Watt, but Thomas Pickburn pegged them back nine minutes later with a well worked goal.

Leon McDonald reinstated the lead almost immediately, and Leith racked up the goals in the second half.

Watt scored again on 46 minutes, and they bagged another 6 in the final 18 minutes through an own goal, Ben Aitchison and Connor Young with two each, and finally Jordan Young.

Peebles managed to snatch a consolation when Rhys MacDonald scored with a great strike.

The opener came after a clever attempted lob by Leon McDonald was repelled by Oliver Gray, but Watt followed up sharply.

Gray prevented a two goal deficit by denying Watt from getting a second after Connor Young’s flick on.

Peebles were industrious and they managed to level when Keith Kitching carried the ball down the left and crossed for Rory MacDonald. There was no angle for a shot but the winger intelligently set the ball off for Pickburn who controlled his shot well.

But two minutes later that good work was undone when they found themselves trailing again. Leon McDonald went one better this time by finding the net from Daniel Fennell’s cross.

A series of saves by Gray kept Leith at bay and Peebles only a goal behind. Fennell was busy on the right flank and he played in Connor Young who was thwarted by the Peebles goalie.

The winger had a go by himself after a switch of play by Jordan Young but Gray kept up his good form.

The pick of the bunch came just before the half when the keeper scrambled across to tip a low drive by Jordan Young round the post.

  • Half Time:
  • Peebles FC
  • 1-2
  • Leith Athletic

McDonald tried to take Gray out of the equation by taking the ball round him, but Stan Swain got back heroically to stop him from having an open goal.

The home side grew into it for a spell and Rory MacDonald generated plenty of power in a shot but did not quite have the accuracy.

Kitching got forward from centre midfield again to get on the end of Jordan Sykes’ cut back, but his shot was blocked.

Just when they looked like they might be able to draw level again, Peebles fell further behind. Watt managed to get his second when some good skill carried him through and he finished calmly.

Leith began to pepper the goal and Watt in particular looked like he really wanted to secure his hat-trick, dragging one wide and curling another over.

Hard work and committed defending meant that Peebles had managed to stay in the game until the late stages with the deficit still not insurmountable until Athletic got a fourth with eighteen minutes still to play.

Ben Moffat and Fennell worked a short corner to Aitchison who scored with a low drive.

Confidence grew in the Leith camp and they developed a ruthlessness in front of goal, scoring a further five.

The next was an own goal, when Fennell’s cross was turned past Gray by a desperate defensive lunge and two minutes later Connor Young added another after Aitchison’s purposeful run.

Young turned provider with four minutes remaining with a perfectly wighted pass for Aitchison to get his second.

Rhys MacDonald eased the pressure ever so slightly with a left foot dipper from 25 yards, giving Finlay Sinclair no chance.

But a minute later Connor Young made it 8-2 with a lovely individual goal and his namesake Jordan wrapped it up in the last minute after Louie Buckley had hit the bar.

  • Full Time:
  • Peebles FC
  • 2-9
  • Leith Athletic


Peebles FC
Leith Athletic
1. Oliver Gray
2. Mark MacKay
3. Frey MacIver
4. Ben Moore
5. Liam Moffat
6. Lewis Scrimger
7. Stan Swain
8. Keith Kitching
9. Fraser Whyte
10. Thomas Pickburn
11. Rory MacDonald
12. Jordan Sykes
14. Rhys MacDonald
15. Conor King
17. Evan McConnell
1. Finlay Sinclair
2. Maksymilan Plutka
3. Zak Williamson
4. Ben Moffat
5. Jamie Rudden
6. Cameron Chambers
7. Brodie Watt
8. Leon McDonald
9. Ben Aitchison
10. Charles Harte
11. Jordan Young
12. Daniel Fennell
13. Jason Meikle
14. Michele Marenduzzo
15. Connor Young
17. Louie Buckley
Star Player
Peebles FC
Leith Athletic
Oliver Gray - The goalkeeper made numerous saves in order to keep his side in with a slight chance of getting back into it, before Leith ran away with it in the closing stages.
Daniel Fennell - There was serious competition with three of his team-mates scoring braces, but much of their play came down Fennell's right wing and his speed of thought and ability to take on players were a real plus point.
Magic Moment
Peebles FC
Leith Athletic
While the game was already beyond Peebles, Rhys MacDonald's strike contained plenty of magic.
Brodie Watt's second and Leith's third was an individual goal oozing class, and finally gave them some breathing space.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments