Home My YFS

Clinical Stirling win away at Watt

Heriot-Watt University 5s 1


Stirling University 6s 4

McKenzie (2), Grimmer (2)
  • Tuesday, 04 February 2014
  • Oriam
  • College & University
  • BUCS Scottish 6B
Referee Norman Brown's whistle kicked off the game between Heriot-Watt 5s and Stirling University 6s at the outdoor artificial pitch, within the Oriam complex.
The first attempt of the game came from Stirling. Their midfielder Lewis Knott took a pop shot from the edge of the box but he couldn't find the target.  Shortly afterwards Watt hit back on the counter, but they couldn't find a way past keeper Kieran Macleod.
Stirling managed to get into Heriot-Watt’s box from some good passing play and winger Joe Thomson was brought down after some good dribbling in the area, Callum MacKenzie stepped up to take the penalty and he placed it bottom left but keeper Aidan Shearer made a phenomenal diving save and kept the game at 0-0.
Good pressure from Joe Thomson saw Stirling win a throw-in in an advanced area. The ball was given to striker McKenzie from the throw and he chipped it up and hit the ball on the volley with his back to the goal. The ball dipped and went in, a wonderstrike to open the scoring.
MInutes later MacKenzie and Stirling doubled their tally. A lovely lobbed ball found its way to the striker who cut inside and hit the ball with the inside of his foot from just outside the box. The ball curled round the outstretched Shearer and went in top corner. Another great strike and 2-0 to Stirling.
Watt were determined to hit back and they did, shortly before the break. Kyle Rennie won the ball on the halfway line and some good passing play lead to a run from winger Donald McIntyre. His shot deflected off the goalie and in to reduce the deficit.
Both sides had a couple of half chances in what remained of the half, but neither goalkeeper was called into action, as the half came to a close.
  • Half Time:
  • Heriot-Watt University 5s
  • 1-2
  • Stirling University 6s
The second half kicked off with the tricky dribbling of Heriot-Watt’s midfielder Graeme Urquhart, whiched required a great challenge from Knott to prevent Watt from opening up Stirling's defence.
Some good passsing play from the hosts lead to shot from Urquhart but the shot was well help by the keeper.
Watt were made to pay for their missed chances as Stirling's Liam Grimmer showed a lovely bit of skill to take it past two players. He then had a shot at goal, which was deflected past the helpless Shearer.
There was time for the visitors to put some gloss on the scoreline. Two goal hero MacKenzie was replaced by James Manfield. With Mansfield's first touch he won a free kick. The free kick lead to a goalmouth scramble and Grimmer showed excellent composure to chip the stranded goalkeeper and make it 4-1.
  • Full Time:
  • Heriot-Watt University 5s
  • 1-4
  • Stirling University 6s


Heriot-Watt University 5s
Stirling University 6s
Aidan Shearer
Kyle Rennie
Ben Murtagh
Sean Tedeschi ©
Adam Ridley
Dan Cuthbertson
Graeme Urquhart
Luke Shearer
Ben Lever
Donald Mcintyre
Luke Jones
Lewis Carrie
Ben Brown
Nick Leck
Kieran MacLeod
Ryan Kerr
Cameron Hall
Scott McFarlane
Finlay Goodlad
Lewis Knott
Liam Grimmer
Reiss Callaghan
Callum Mackenzie
Paul Manuel
Joe Thomson
James Mansfield
Jonny Harwood-Yeo
Cameron Greenhorn
Star Player
Heriot-Watt University 5s
Stirling University 6s
My man of the match from Heriot-Watt went to Donald Mcintyre for his goal and his non stop running and pressing even in the dying minutes of the game.
My man of the match from Stirling went to Callum MacKenzie because of his two wonder goals and his energy on the pitch.
Magic Moment
Heriot-Watt University 5s
Stirling University 6s
My magic moment for Stirling was Callum MacKenzie’s first goal which was a hopeful strike and when it went in the whole team were jubilant, and Heriot-Watt players looked baffled.
My magic moment for Heriot-Watt was when Ben McIntyre scored to make it 2-1 and the whole team seemed to be up lifted because the thought they still had a chance in the game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments