Home My YFS

Motherwell edge past Colts in cup

Motherwell FC 1

Hastie 44

Cumbernauld Colts 0

  • Sunday, 06 November 2016
  • Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie
  • Under 20´s
  • SFA Youth Cup

Simon Ritchie | YFS West Region Reporter
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Motherwell just about managed to get through the SFA Youth Cup 3rd round unscathed as they defeated a resilient and unyielding Cumbernauld Colts. Although Motherwell went into the match as heavy favourites and found themselves a goal to the good at halftime thanks to Jake Hastie, they faced heavy Cumbernauld pressure in the latter stages of the match and were fortunate to escape Airdrie with the win.
The opening ten minutes of the match suggested we would see a Motherwell landslide as they set up camp around the Colts penalty box. They prodded and poked at the opposition backline, playing on the edge of the 18-yard box and looking for the opportune moment to slide in a through ball or play in a cross from out wide. Ross MacLean’s cross could have been turned in by either Hastie or James Scott, but was eventually scrambled clear.
Colts couldn’t get out and the pressure was sustained. Motherwell won corner after corner, all taken short by MacLean and Tom Fry, their best effort leading to David Turnbull stinging the palms of Colts keeper Ross Turnbull.
Motherwell were set up in a 4-1-4-1 formation with Allan Campbell playing the deep lying midfielder role which seemed unnecessary from a defensive point of view in the first half but always gave his teammates the option to pass back when they couldn’t find a way forward, recycling play and keeping Well in possession while they probed at another angle. Coach Stephen Craigan was vocal in his support for defenders moving up the pitch into space, always looking to make room for a short pass and keep the ball ticking over.
The first quarter of the game was almost entirely Motherwell but they failed to take their chances and Colts looked to begin to hit them with some fast counterattacks. There was nothing too menacing in their play - they won a couple of corners but failed to test Motherwell keeper Peter Morrison - but it hinted that Colts might have something to offer in this cup tie.
However, moments before half-time the underdogs were hit with a suckerpunch. For all Well’s good passing play on the edge of the box, the breakthrough eventually came from a long ball hoofed up from the back, the Colts keeper seemed to hesitate and chose not to come for it; a mistake as Hastie ran towards it, only reaching it when it was well inside the Colts box and his powerful effort hit the back of the net despite a deflection off of Turnbull’s legs. It was the goal Well needed and came at the perfect time.
  • Half Time:
  • Motherwell FC
  • 1-0
  • Cumbernauld Colts
Shaken but not knocked out, Colts regrouped for the second half and came out punching. Within the opening couple of minutes they carved their first real opportunity of the game, Connor McKenzie and Sean Brown working their way down the left wing and Brown’s near post shot forcing Morrison to push it wide for a corner. 
The corner came to nothing however and instead was the start of an immediate Motherwell counterattack, Hastie, getting in behind down the left, fired straight at Turnbull who parried it into the path of James Scott who somehow contrived to put it over the bar from 6-yards. 
Chances for either side and already the second half seemed much more open that the first. Well again broke through with Fry putting in the effervescent Hastie but Colts defender Daniel McAllister kept pace with the Motherwell wide man, getting in an important block in the box.
Hastie fired another effort across the front of goal before Well had their captain Campbell to thank for bailing them out with a header off the line from a Colts corner.
For the majority of the game set-pieces had looked like Colts best chance of getting a goal and had Connor McKenzie showed more composure when Fraser Sheridan’s corner landed at his feet with the keeper stranded in no-man’s land, they may well have drew level.
Motherwell’s game plan seemed to have deserted them as the half wore on. They looked turgid and slow with the ball, not showing the urgency of the opening quarter of an hour and almost devoid of any attacking threat. 
It was Colts’ chance to grab a draw and they threw everything at their more illustrious opponents. In the final ten minutes they created three or four great chances, almost all of them falling to Sean Brown, but the forward simply couldn’t find the back of the net. From 6-yards he headed wide with the goal gaping; he blazed over a Jeff Fergus cross from close-range; and then he showed great strength and skill to turn his marker in the box before screwing his half-volley wide of the near post. It just wasn’t his, or Cumbernaulds’, day.
Motherwell advance to the fourth round but know they’ll need to improve massively if they have ambitions of a trophy.
  • Full Time:
  • Motherwell FC
  • 1-0
  • Cumbernauld Colts


Motherwell FC
Cumbernauld Colts
1. Peter Morrison
2. Adam Livingstone
3. Jordan Armstrong
4. Barry Maguire
5. Jack McMillan
6. Allan Campbell
7. Ross MacLean
8. David Turnbull
9. James Scott
11. Jake Hastie
12. Dylan Falconer
13. Jordan Pettigrew
14. Tom Fry
15. Ryan Watters
16. Alfredo Agyeman
1. Ross Campbell
2. Marc Anthony Byrne
3. Jordan Pirie
4. Alex Foy
5. Ryan Milne
6. Blair Bateman
7. Dylan O'Hagan
8. Ryan Flanagan
9. Connor McKenzie
10. Sean Brown
11. Connor McAteer
12. Andrew McNee
14. Fraser Sheridan
15. Josh Devine
16. Jeff Fergus
18. Daniel McAllister
Star Player
Motherwell FC
Cumbernauld Colts
Jake Hastie was not only the match winner but also Motherwell's main attacking threat with his incisive runs down the wing, constantly getting in behind the defence and causing them untold trouble.
Ryan Milne impressed at the back for Cumbernauld with his intelligent reading of the game, quickly getting between the Well strikers and the goal and stopping many attacks before they could really begin.
Magic Moment
Motherwell FC
Cumbernauld Colts
Coming just before a half where Motherwell dominated but looked like getting nothing from, the goal was of vital importance to this match. It was route one, catching the defence cold and the Colts keeper will maybe feel he could have reacted quicker, but Hastie did well to keep his composure and find the net.
The final ten minutes should have been magic for Colts as they lay siege to the Motherwell goal but they somehow couldn't turn their pressure into that all-important equaliser. But they showed tremendous heart and determination, and no shortage of ability.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments