Home My YFS

Hearts retain East of Scotland Shield on enemy ground

Hibernian FC 1

Gullan 80'

Heart of Midlothian 2

Henderson 56', McDonald 77'
  • Thursday, 22 September 2016
  • Easter Road Stadium
  • Under 18´s
  • East of Scotland Shield
Gregor Kerr

Gregor Kerr | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Easter Road hosted the third-oldest cup competition in world football on Thursday night; the East of Scotland shield; on a freezing cold night in Leith, as the mini-Edinburgh Derby finished with the Jambos retaining the trophy with a 2-1 victory. After a much quiet first-half, the match really came into life in a frantic second 45, with the Wee Jambos winning the competition for the second year on the bounce, after a long wait to bring it back to Gorgie was ended last year.

The first half started in rather slow pace, as both sides tried to become suited to the large pitch in Leith. The first opening came from a corner five minutes in, as Fraser Murray floated the ball all the way to the back, meeting the head of Ryan Porteous, who’s header was straight into the arms of Kelby Mason.

Jambos skipper Alex Pektov was first to try his luck at Patrick Martin’s goal after 15 minutes, but his chest and volley was dragged wide of the post. Callumn Morrison was the first to make Martin work though, as he cut inside from the right after Andy Irving’s nice lay-off, but the Hibs keeper was equal to it.

The only other moment of note before the half-time whistle was in the final minutes of the first 45, when Hearts played a quick corner into Anthony McDonald, and his cutback found Jack Gillan outside the box, but his curling effort was never convincing enough to test Martin in goals.

  • Half Time:
  • Hibernian FC
  • 0-0
  • Heart of Midlothian

If the first half was quiet and uneventful, the second was the polar opposite. Fraser Murray found himself bearing down on goal almost instantly, but his pass to the lively Yrik Gallantes was offside.

He got closer to goal straight after though as he worked open some space around the penalty area and cracked a thunderous effort off the crossbar, Gallantes headed the rebound back into the danger area, which momentarily caused problems, but the Jam Tarts managed to clear their lines in the end.

Hibs kept up this relentless tempo in the opening stages of the second half, and they had the ball in the back of the net in the 52nd minute. Fraser Murray slid in Gallantes who dully converted, but Murray was adjudged to have committed a foul in the build-up and the goal was chopped off.

The pressure only increased minutes later, Hibs played a deep free-kick short to Porteous, who ran right through the midfield and gave it to Campbell, but his turn and shot lacked the power to really test Mason in goals.

They might have had to suck up pressure from the hosts for the majority of the second-half, but it was Hearts that opened the scoring first after 56 minutes. A close range shot inside the box was blocked, and rolled through to Euan Henderson, he required no second invitation and calmly slotted past Martin.

Hibs tried to respond through Gallantes who took a great first-touch to lose his man and drove a great ball across the box, which Smith did very well to clear for a corner, which nothing came of.

Jamie Gullan was then next to try and level up the scores, as he got to the byline and pick out a cross right at the back post, but Gallantes never looked likely to win the header and it drifted out for the goal-kick.

Hearts then came inches away from doubling their lead on 77 minutes. Anthony McDonald played a neat one-two with Marc Leonard and curled an effort towards the back post, which swerved off target at the last second to keep their lead to just the single goal.

15 minutes from time Hearts extended their advantage with a well-constructed goal. McDonald found himself through on goal after Leonard countered from a Hibs attack and slid him in on the right. McDonald took a good touch, got away from the last defender and finished emphatically beyond Martin to give his side a comfortable advantage.

That comfortable advantage become a bit less comfortable four minutes after that goal, when Gullan was adjudged to have been brought down unfairly and a penalty was awarded to the hosts. He then nominated himself to take the penalty, and didn’t turn down the chance as he slotted home the spot-kick with conviction. A goal which could have thrown the cats amongst the pigeons in the last 10 minutes.

Hibs then pushed desperately in the closing stages to grab a much-needed equaliser, but despite the increasing amount of free-kicks and corners won, the Hibees couldn’t find their way to goal. After the visitor’s wound down the clock in the final minutes, the referee George Calder blew for full-time and confirmed back-to-back East of Scotland shield wins for Jon Daly’s side. 

  • Full Time:
  • Hibernian FC
  • 1-2
  • Heart of Midlothian


Hibernian FC
Heart of Midlothian
1. Patrick Martin
2. Callum Donaldson
3. Callum Hall
4. Kane O'Conner
5. Ryan Porteous
6. Alasdair Smith
7. Scott Walker
8. Josh Campbell
9. Jamie Gullan
10. Fraser Murray
11. Yrik Gallantes
12. Callum Yates
13. Ben Cargill
14. Dean Cornelius
15. Ryan Shanley
1. Kelby Mason
2. Callumn Morrison
3. Aaron Reid
4. Christopher Hamilton
5. Kyle Smith
6. Jack Gillan
7. Anthony McDonald
8. Alek Petkov
9. Marc Leonard
10. Andy Irving
11. Euan Henderson
12. Gary Harkins
14. Dean Ritchie
15. Ross Young
16. David Wilson
17. Callum O'Donnell
18. Connor Smith
19. Leeroy Makovora
Star Player
Hibernian FC
Heart of Midlothian
Fraser Murray looked likelier than most to create a goal for the home side. Yrik Gallantes was also lively while Porteous had a good game in defence.
Henderson was crucial to his side's victory with the opening goal on the night. McDonald, who got the second goal, also caused problems throughout the game.
Magic Moment
Hibernian FC
Heart of Midlothian
Fraser Murray would have opened the scoring with a brilliant solo goal if it wasn't for the crossbar.
Hearts second goal was the perfect counter attacking goal; pace, a spot-on pass and a composed finish.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments