Home My YFS

Whitburn hold on for cup final victory over Kirkfield

Whitburn 4

Kirkfield 3

  • Tuesday, 04 February 2014
  • Blackburn United
  • Buyrite Bathroom Cup Final
The venue for this Buyrite Bathroom Cup Final on a dry, cloudy afternoon was Blackburn United’s ground. The conditions were good to play on and pass the ball about as they were playing on AstroTurf.
The last time these sides met in April, Kirkfield had triumphed 2-1. This time around both sides were in the middle of a long league campaign, with Whitburn two points clear of Kirkfield, but who still have five games in hand over Whitburn. Whitburn ran away with the first half going in at half time leading 4-0. The second half was the start of the comeback for Kirkfield as they scored three to make it 4-3, but unfortunately for Kirkfield that is all they managed. The ultimate comeback could not be pulled off, and Whitburn narrowly held on to win 4-3. 
The first half was all Whitburn. They took the lead after just nine minutes through Jordan McFadyen. Aaron Greer kicked the ball long from his hands and the ball bounced awkwardly for the Kirkfield defence who struggled to deal with it. This allowed the ball to fall to McFadyen, who volleyed a superb strike past Scott Murray into the top left corner from the edge of the box to open the scoring.
Whitburn soon had a glorious chance to make it 2-0, but Murray easily saved this chance. Not long after, however, they did double their lead with 21 minutes on the clock through Jamie Dunlop. A throw-in on the far side for Whitburn was headed on by a Kirkfield defender. Dunlop hit the second ball on the volley from around 30 yards out. His awesome effort looped over Murray and into the back of the net.
The third goal came in the 27th minute, with McFadyen netting another. Kieran Hilditch played the ball through with McFadyen sliding to reach the ball before Murray got there to knock it in.
Whitburn then scored their fourth after 41 minutes with Hilditch this time getting on the scoresheet for 4-0. It was a scramble in the box which fell to Whitburn’s Hilditch, the free man at the edge, who spectacularly volleyed the ball into the top right corner.
Whitburn went into the break with a commanding 4-0 lead and left everyone thinking that this would finish about 6 or 7-0. 
  • Half Time:
  • Whitburn
  • 4-0
  • Kirkfield
In the second half, however, Kirkfield demonstrated that they still had belief and determination. Sadly for them, it turned out, in the end, to be too little, too late - but not before they almost pulled off the most remarkable and unlikely of comebacks.
Whitburn made their first sub after 53 minutes with Jack Lindsay coming off for Jay Sim.
Whitburn’s Graeme Sherwood got booked in the 55th minute for a poor tackle.
The first goal for Kirkfield came in the 62nd minute. James McClafferty played a low pass into the middle of the box, with Jake Fraser placing the ball into the bottom right corner.
Kirkfield then made a sub straight after that goal with Conor Grierson coming on.
Whitburn then made another sub with Ross Whannel coming on.
Whitburn’s Alexander MacDonald was offside after 74 minutes after the midfield played the ball through.
Kirkfield then had a throwing on the far side. Andy Young threw it into the box and the ball managed to bounce through to in-between the near post and the middle of the goal, where Jamie Stewart handily waiting to put the ball in the back of the net.
This goal gave Kirkfield more hope of a manufacturing a comeback and taking the tie to extra time. It looked like they might do just that, when they got their third and final goal in the 78th minute through Jack Fraser. Young crossed the ball over to the back post and Fraser headed the ball past the keeper.
It was not to be for Kirkfield, however. Not long after that third goal, the referee blew for full time. Kirkfield should be pleased with their second half performance, but it was not enough quite enough. They will no doubt be disappointed that they came this close.
On the other hand, Whitburn will be happy that they won the final, albeit disappointed that they almost let their commanding lead slip. Whitburn conceded three goals in the second half, yet were so convincing in the first half, raking up a strong four goal advantage. Whitburn must have come out in the second thinking the job was done, but they almost got the shock of their season.
  • Full Time:
  • Whitburn
  • 4-3
  • Kirkfield


1. Aaron Greer
2. Cameron Mitchell
4. James Brown
5. Prentice Fitzpatrick
6. Jay Sim
7. Callum Stewart
8. Jack Lindsay
9. Jordan McFadyen
10. Daniel Thomson
11. Graeme Sherwood
12. James Ferguson
14. Kieran Hilditch
15. Jamie Dunlop
16. Alexander MacDonald
17. Brendan McCarney
18. Ross Whannel
19. Kai McGilvary
1. Scott Murray
2. Ben Clark
3. Connor Grierson
4. James McClafferty
5. Josh Douglas
6. William Muir
7. Robbie Cox
8. Andy Young
9. Jake Fraser
11. Corey Stevenson
14. Callum Tennett
15. Arron McLean
18. Jamie Stewart
19. Lewis Ireland
21. Callum Clarke
22. Callum Forrest
Star Player
My player of the match for the winners Whitburn is their number 9 as he managed to score twice and he was involved in the build up for one of the other goals as well.
My player of the match for Kirkfield was the number 8 as he managed to get two assists for his team.
Magic Moment
What was the magic moment for the home team? Describe it here.
What was the magic moment for the away team? Describe it here.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.

Latest from Jack Reid & Bruce Hardie

Login to post comments