Home My YFS

A point a piece as Dunbar and South share the spoils

Written by  Dunbar United Colts

Fixture: Dunbar United Colts v Edinburgh South FC
Competition: ISouth East Region YFL
Venue: New Countess Park, Dunbar
Date: Sunday 10th April 2016
Dunbar entertained fellow promotion side Edinburgh South for the first time this season, with New Countess Park the venue for the fixture, home of Dunbar United FC. Heavy rain before kick-off made the playing surface slippy underfoot but the pitch was still in very good condition.
Edinburgh South kicked off and it was a slow start for both teams.  There appeared to be a lack of urgency or energy in the opening 5 minutes or perhaps both teams were sizing each other up. 
Dunbar were first to test the goalkeeper when with 5 minutes gone, Cooledge, making his competitive debut, arrived in the box but could not keep his well-struck volley down and it blazed over. 
Fellow debutant Dluzak, operating on the right was also instrumental in creating Dunbar’s best moments. His ball in was narrowly missed by Twist who arrived to header the cross but he could not make the necessary contact and the goal keeper collected. 
Both teams struggled for any real rhythm but Dunbar looked the more dangerous offensively with Edinburgh South dangerous on the counter. Their first attack was as a direct result of this when Ford, Smillie and Brunton were exposed to a 3 on 3 but the defence held firm. Edinburgh South did look like scoring when their winger appeared through on keeper Purves but the home side’s number 1 put him off sufficiently and the effort was scuffed wide. 
Dunbar’s next effort on goal came from a free-kick. With Renton brought down on the edge of the box, he led the race to the ball and up he stepped. His effort was well struck but just caught the end of the wall. Renton’s next effort had the crowd cheering but the Edinburgh South keeper did just enough and he tipped it into the side netting, fooling the crowd. A goal mouth scramble followed with Knox, Cooledge and Twist having a shot blocked. 
The next shot on goal was an Edinburgh South effort. A cross from the left was headed clear by Brunton and the Edinburgh South full back showed incredible technique as he arrived and met the shot on the half-volley. It looked like heading for the top corner, with the shot hit with real power. Purves in the home goal thought otherwise as he adopted a great starting position before launching full-stretch to the ball and pulling off a truly remarkable save which left the opposition coach dumbstruck. 
The referee brought to a halt an entertaining and competitive first half but no goals to trouble the record books.
Half Time: Dunbar United Colts 0-0 Edinburgh South
Dunbar changed things a little with Cooper struggling for full fitness changed out. Sutherland was brought on with Knox pushed further into attack. 
He immediately imposed himself on the Edinburgh South defenders as he surged into the box with Dunbar’s first attack of the half. The South defenders matched his run and closed him down quickly.
Dunbar looked the more likely team to score and their football was more fluent in the second period. They were struggling for that final ball with Renton and Dluzak regularly beating their markers but no takers inside the box.  Hood and Ford were finding more room to push up and support from the full back position. 
Cooledge and Sutherland both fancied a shot from distance but their efforts were too high. 
It wasn’t all one way traffic however when a simple kick from the Edinburgh South goalkeeper saw the ball split the two centre halves.  The striker was suddenly clear and he made his way into the box. He lost his composure and to the relief of the Dunbar defence, his effort was sent wide.   
Dluzak then had Dunbar’s best chance of the game. Hood, Twist and Knox combined to send the winger into the box and with the goalkeeper retreating; his effort was hit high, and brought a great save from the keeper. Low and hard would surely have seen him open his account for his new club. 
Maclean was introduced to the Dunbar team at right back and he made an immediate impression. He linked with Dluzak down the right and continued his run into the box. His cross was met by Knox who saw his shot saved at point blank range. 
Minutes later and Dunbar did open the scoring. Maclean took the ball at the right back position, and his ball up the line saw Dluzak emerge with it. He kept it simple and turned the ball into Twist. Twist turned and spotted Knox breaking down the right. The pass was perfect and Knox took the ball in his stride. He flew past the full back and his low cross was met perfectly by Renton who arrived on time to knock the ball past the keeper.It was a great team goal.   
Unfortunately for Dunbar, the celebrations were short-lived. A break down the Edinburgh South left saw the ball passed inside. The Edinburgh South striker got the break of the ball as he advanced into the box. The defenders could not close him down quickly enough and he swept a great effort into the bottom corner, giving Purves no chance. 
This was a hugely competitive and well-fought game with both Coaches probably claiming a draw was a fair result. However, Dunbar had one final opportunity to win it at the death. A cross into the box saw Knox connect with the ball powerfully with his head. The South keeper spread himself well and pulled off another great save.
Full Time: Dunbar United Colts 1-1 Edinburgh South
Login to post comments